• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2015 Observation thread.

NRVwxfan.

That's how radar usually looks for mby lol.  I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to get screwed tonight.  I know it is going to happen somehow.  I'll have two storms today and still have less than a tenth lol.

I'm guessing hanging out on a weather board complaining about the weather is not the way to make it happen...

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing hanging out on a weather board complaining about the weather is not the way to make it happen...

:lmao:

Edit: Well, I'm getting some strati rain so I guess that's something.  Look at those storms coming together leaving Spartanburg County lol.  Dead zone did its job keeping the severe storms out.

Robert says wet too, since DT doesn't care about the SE too much :)

A well organized system (for August atleast) is going to push through the Tenn. Valley, Apps and MidAtlantic tonight and Thursday, exiting the coast by Friday. The main low will develop in central Kentucky tomorrow, with a trailing front and strong storms possible ahead of the cold front. Heavy rain totals are possible in Kentucky stretching toward northern Virginia, with scattered amounts (much needed) in Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas. Keep alert for this time frame, esp. tomorrow afternoon in Alabama, northern GA and the Carolinas for some severe cells.

Nice shots, Hvward!  I really like the bridge photo.  You framed the sun very nicely, and the backlighting effect created great silhouttes.

Thanks Calc!  I couldn't believe it actually lined up like that.  I pretty much drove up to this shot which is making me love it more and more here lol.

Hvward, awesome shots dude. I love the last one!

Thanks CR!  That is from Botany Bay near Edisto.  I had to hike in around 2 miles last night in the pitch black dark and 87 degree temps ha, but I think it was worth it.  It is really cool there because trees are out in the surf with 2ft of water around them.

Thanks CR! That is from Botany Bay near Edisto. I had to hike in around 2 miles last night in the pitch black dark and 87 degree temps ha, but I think it was worth it. It is really cool there because trees are out in the surf with 2ft of water around them.

I've never been there, but it looks awesome. You always take such good pix. I don't have a great camera, but I love to take nature shots. It's always fun to look for unusual scenes or wait for the sun or a cloud to get into a certain position, etc.

Storm of the year here.  Just winding up. Good rain of over an inch, but what made it special was the lightning. 45 minutes of ground strikes in several waves. Power off and on several times.  Several bolts close enough that I could hear the click and sizzle a fraction of a second before the boom.  Dogs are mental cases at the moment.  

I've never been there, but it looks awesome. You always take such good pix. I don't have a great camera, but I love to take nature shots. It's always fun to look for unusual scenes or wait for the sun or a cloud to get into a certain position, etc.

Thanks man, yeah I do a lot of planning and have invested in some pretty good equipment, but a lot of my shots are by chance.  For star shots I use the sky guide app to figure out what part of the sky the milky way will be in and then pick my location from that.  The Botany Bay shoot was hard because it was very close to high tide and where I was having to sit my camera for that shot had a wave coming in around once every minute.  I was also fighting a mean sea breeze that was keeping my lens dirty, so that is why it is a tad bit grained out.  Photography is a hobby, but it brought me out of a really rough spot in life and gave me something else to focus on.  Thanks for the kind words though man and if you ever do decide to get a more expensive camera I would be more than happy to give you a few tips and pointers!

Storm of the year here.  Just winding up. Good rain of over an inch, but what made it special was the lightning. 45 minutes of ground strikes in several waves. Power off and on several times.  Several bolts close enough that I could hear the click and sizzle a fraction of a second before the boom.  Dogs are mental cases at the moment.  

Just watched a neighbor get his trampoline down from a tree.  A few trees down in the neighborhood as well.  Good storm.

Dead zone still in charge here.  I get to hear it thundering for an hour while everything misses me by a couple miles to the north.  Not going to be surprised if I only get trace-hundreth amounts again today.  80% kiss of death rule is in affect.

Edit:  Now Storms are starting to develop to my south, so I get to be stuck in the middle of storms yet again.  Dead zone wins again.

bnUDCyB.gif

Dead zone still in charge here.  I get to hear it thundering for an hour while everything misses me by a couple miles to the north.  Not going to be surprised if I only get trace-hundreth amounts again today.  80% kiss of death rule is in affect.

Edit:  Now Storms are starting to develop to my south, so I get to be stuck in the middle of storms yet again.  Dead zone wins again.

The stuff back in Alabama should give most of us a good rain. Btw, I got just under a half inch of rain last evening. 

The stuff back in Alabama should give most of us a good rain. Btw, I got just under a half inch of rain last evening. 

It's hard to be optimistic after what has happened this summer.  Things like today have been the norm for mby.  Somehow I always get stuck in the middle of storms.  There has only been a few times this summer this hasn't happened.  I still can't believe how little rain I got yesterday from 2 storms.  Somehow, someway I will end up only getting traced this evening.

Archived