• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fri Cold Pool Storms- Regionwide

Damage In Tolland

Since we can't seem to get a squall line in the high heat and dews this summer..let's see if we can get some cold pool large hailers and gusty winds Friday

CapeCodWeather.Net ‏@capecodweather  21s

from earlier....speculating about some late week t-storms: http://www.capecodweather.net/technical-discussion/t-storm-speculation/ 

Jumping ahead a bit…Friday may be a day for afternoon gusty showers, thunder and pea size hailers across much of New England.

An upper level low will rotate east-southeast from James Bay today to the Canadian Maritimes by Friday. Model guidance is in fair agreement on a potent shortwave rotating around the upper level low and crossing New England Friday afternoon. 

Associated with this shortwave is a pocket of very cold air aloft – 500 mb temps on the latest NAM charts (shown) are forecast to plunge to -14 to -16C during the day on Friday (by comparison…on a day like today the 500 mb temperatures is around -6C). Similar values are showing up on the GFS and ECMWF models. 700 mb temps drop to 0 to -2C across the area (today these temps are running around 8C). 

As a result, the freezing level will fall down under 10,000 feet, with WBZ heights under 8500 feet(!). 

While the atmosphere won’t have much moisture to work with, that kind of cold aloft combined with strong July surface heating and some decent shortwave forcing is the perfect environment for afternoon showers and thunderstorms. Even in a weak shear, relatively low CAPE environment, you’d likely see numerous popcorn type showers.

Add in the northwest flow and very low freezing heights and you’ve got a good recipe for afternoon hailers. Something to watch in the days ahead. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great write-up by Phil!  

Just went ahead and looked and it's a pretty classic cold pool setup.  He isn't kidding about that s/w plunging into the region.  On the GFS at least it moves right over SNE during peak heating.  Typically with these setups you don't usually see high dewpoints and that looks to be the case here as well.  Looks like dews will be in the lower 50's per GFS so moisture will be extremely limited but with such strong lift we'd see some activity pop.   

Small hail certainly a possibility (larger hail doesn't appear all that likely given lack of moisture) along with some pretty strong winds given pretty hefty dewpoint depression in the llvls and degree of shear aloft.  

Cant remember what year it was but had 3 storms with pea sized hail also one of the storms had a small area of clouds moving clockwise over my house no idea what caused it but there was no funnel

Used to get a few cold air funnels in Minnesota.

Always a cause of excitement for some.

A few years ago my parents on the Spfld/ East Longmeadow line had a shovelable hail event that destroyed their garden. Just up the street from them at Franconia golf course it was like 5 inches deep. It was a cold pool hailer set up I believe.

It was two years ago.  I drove through it in my brand new car.  I was certain my windshield and sun roof were going to crack (they didn't).

No highest threat is E Ma but anyone can get a storm river east tomorrow

Meh.  Maybe something on Sunday.

...NEW ENGLAND...

A SEASONALLY COOL MID-LEVEL TROUGH /-13C TO -17C AT 500 MB/ WILL
PIVOT SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS NEW ENGLAND TODAY WITH A 30-40 KT
MID-LEVEL SPEED MAX SPREADING SOUTHEASTWARD MAINLY OVER
WESTERN/SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. AT LEAST SCATTERED SHOWERS/EMBEDDED
THUNDERSTORMS SHOULD STEADILY DEVELOP BY AFTERNOON WITHIN A MODESTLY
MOIST/WEAKLY INHIBITED BOUNDARY LAYER. WHILE UPDRAFTS WILL BE
SUFFICIENTLY DEEP/BUOYANT TO ATTAIN LIGHTNING...WEAK MID-LEVEL LAPSE
RATES/OVERALL BUOYANCY...AS NOTED IN 12Z REGIONAL OBSERVED
SOUNDINGS...SHOULD GENERALLY TEMPER UPDRAFT INTENSITY/RELATED SEVERE
POTENTIAL. EVEN SO...THIS CONVECTION MAY NONETHELESS PRODUCE SOME
STRONGER WINDS GUSTS/SMALL HAIL THIS AFTERNOON.

Archived