• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 24-27 severe potential

Indystorm

With each turbine being a significant asset, you would think there are robust instruments on each. Anyone with knowledge of the industry know of that's the case? It would be interesting to see the measured wind speeds on the turbine relative to those measured by radar.

In that case, one of the turbines destroyed measured a gust to 166 MPH at 300 ft AGL before it was taken out.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In that case, one of the turbines destroyed measured a gust to 166 MPH at 300 ft AGL before it was taken out.

Thanks, Tony!

Two reports within last twenty minutes confirm a tornado in Ft. Dodge KS then two miles east of Ft. Dodge with the second report.

New Day 1 has ENH risk in Central and NE Texas for today

Could see a real problem in Central TX should linear mode be slower to take over than expected (and south of any ongoing MCS assuming it doesn't extend to San Antonio or something). Also the KS/NE area might be the chaser hotspot given expected isolated storm coverage.

Also I would think that MCS in TX, should it develop a cold pool, might be quite a whopper given the strong/extreme instability in place.

Could see a real problem in Central TX should linear mode be slower to take over than expected (and south of any ongoing MCS assuming it doesn't extend to San Antonio or something). Also the KS/NE area might be the chaser hotspot given expected isolated storm coverage.

Also I would think that MCS in TX, should it develop a cold pool, might be quite a whopper given the strong/extreme instability in place.

Just what we need... :axe:

Two tornadoes were confirmed in and near Austin last night.

Upgraded to a moderate today for NE TX, SE OK and far SW AR.

Was wondering what SPC was going to do later today as Hi Res models starting last night began shifting north with the more intense storms. Guess that answers my question. Certainly don't need the 3-5 inches of rain the GFS was advertising in such a short amount of time at that too. If we have major flooding and tornadoes in the metroplex and surrounding people will probably think the end of the world is coming around here.

I am thinking of heading out of CS since this is all pretty much in my backyard.  Its so early though, I hadn't planned on waking up to a tornado watch.  I think currently I'm going to head toward San Marcos and see if stuff to the south develops further.  No point in headed north as that will all be a bow.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 211
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1050 AM CDT MON MAY 25 2015

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH-CENTRAL OKLAHOMA
WEST-CENTRAL INTO NORTH-CENTRAL TEXAS

* EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY MORNING AND EVENING FROM 1050 AM UNTIL
600 PM CDT.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
A FEW TORNADOES POSSIBLE
WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS LIKELY WITH ISOLATED SIGNIFICANT GUSTS
TO 80 MPH POSSIBLE
SCATTERED LARGE HAIL AND ISOLATED VERY LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 2.5
INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE

Maybe Waco is the spot today instead of DFW...HRRR sounding trends from the last few hours seem to think so, possibly avoiding that bow and getting into something more isolated, either way looks like a mess by 20-21z.

If this does become a Derecho or widespread bow echo/wind maker, there will be a much greater risk for widespread tree damage and trees being easily toppled/pulled out of the ground due to all the recent flooding. Saturated ground makes it much easier for wind to knock trees over.

If this does become a Derecho or widespread bow echo/wind maker, there will be a much greater risk for widespread tree damage and trees being easily toppled/pulled out of the ground due to all the recent flooding. Saturated ground makes it much easier for wind to knock trees over.

That happened in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on June 30, 2014.  Tons of downed tree branches and several uprooted trees.  That storm complex bowed out just as it entered Linn County.  I was without power for 7.5 hours.  During the late evening of June 29, 2014, Cedar Rapids got 6+ inches of rain in just 45 minutes.

Checked out area NW of Plains KS. Not much to hit just missed a farm house. Flipped irrigation equipment damaged barn. Didn't go down dirt roads but couldn't see any signals of anything particularly strong. Of course many still think wide equals violent heh.

A bit off topic, but...

This tornado was a wedge but it was a weak tornado, rated only EF1.

Quite a few are fairly weak.. just low LCLs etc. Plus the well known wedges that are violent.. chasers feed bad info and call everything violent etc. The environment wasn't really a violent tornado one IMO.. not that it precludes one from happening of course.

So were mainly looking at a line with a few spin ups?

we are looking at a strong bow echo, that could have some spin-ups... Along with discrete supercells that could develop in front of the bow and produce tornadoes.

Archived