• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/3-3/4 snow/ice/rain storm

Most freezing rain events kill themselves after awhile so to speak, they release latent heat with all the freezing and warm surface temps on their own

This is a great setup for an ice storm for this area. They need nearly perfect conditions and this is pretty close to ideal. The only thing missing is a deeper warm layer, but that's pretty difficult to calculate without looking at soundings.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great setup for an ice storm for this area. They need nearly perfect conditions and this is pretty close to ideal. The only thing missing is a deeper warm layer, but that's pretty difficult to calculate without looking at soundings.

Imagine a major ice storm followed immediately by a snowstorm? Not something I'd look forward to lol

Yeah, that's almost 0.40" LE as sleet. Using the standard 2:1 ratio that would be around 0.80" of sleet accumulation.

I've been saying all day that the predominant precip type with this looks to be sleet.

IP vs Zr is very hard to discern, even for models. You said were missing a deeper warm layer, which is true; but an ice storm, imo, is certainly a possibility right now.

IP vs Zr is very hard to discern, even for models. You said were missing a deeper warm layer, which is true; but an ice storm, imo, is certainly a possibility right now.

I've been relying on the higher res NAM/RGEM for determining precip type. They have both been very good the last few weeks. It helps you pick out a warm layer when it's not terribly obvious. 

For ZR I think you want warm 925mb temps but I could be wrong, it's a very complicated equation. 

I've been relying on the higher res NAM/RGEM for determining precip type. They have both been very good the last few weeks. It helps you pick out a warm layer when it's not terribly obvious.

For ZR I think you want warm 925mb temps but I could be wrong, it's a very complicated equation.

The rgem has been pretty deadly this year, and the NAM, especially the Hi Res has its uses at times, inside of 24hrs. For what I've been instructed, the warm layer is usually between h9/95 so, yes, 925 would be that sneaky warm layer. I've also been instructed that you generally want it around +2c for ideal conditions for Zr. Likewise, I've been taught that a warm 850 and cold 925 is IP.

Edit : But yes, the equation is complicated to saw the least.

Looks like snow won't be the story with this one if that's correct

It was never supposed to be. Snow to ice to rain for most. It probably will have a hard time changing to rain for the NW crew. A quick 1-2" for the nyc area and 2-4" for the nw crew. Well that's at least my call.

Most are getting an inch or less maybe 2 to the north...it will be more sleet than anything else

EURO GEM RGEM 4KNAM GFS UKMET are all 2 at KNYC ....  Where`s the rest of the " MOST "

If you are going to post here , stop posting %^&* , making people have to check your work does not lead to gaining credibility .

This.

I mean If it was his opinion then that's cool. But if you are quoting model output to be fair it shows 2 .

I just had to go through 850s 700 a and 925s on 5 models to see if was missing something.

The UKMET 4 is prob wrong but there is a lot of agreement that it's 2 then sleet over to rain.

Then we see how far N the axis of heaviest snow gets fur Thrs.

Archived