Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/3-3/4 snow/ice/rain storm

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And be careful at hour 39 at KNYC 850s -2 BL 33 . When was the last time you saw the BL warm 4 degrees in 3 hours being -2 at 850 over snow cover .

That rain map is wrong . PROB still sleeting at KNYC and snowing W of EWR 

You can't just look at 850's and BL temps. Their must be another warm layer in there that's not terribly obvious.

That looks like a rain sounding to my untrained eye...

Only one warm layer , looks like sleet to me as like I posted the BL will not go from 29 to 33 in 3 hours with 850`s - 2

You have to look outside the model .

I argued 36 and he posted an hour 39 map . 

Only one warm layer , looks like sleet to me as like I posted the BL will not go from 29 to 33 in 3 hours with 850`s - 2

You have to look outside the model .

I argued 36 and he posted an hour 39 map . 

The surface wouldn't influence sleet vs. liquid rain, though. 0C to 5C from 700 to 850 mb isn't exactly a negligible sliver of the column. Not a huge deal either way.

The surface wouldn't influence sleet vs. liquid rain, though. 0C to 5C from 700 to 850 mb isn't exactly a negligible sliver of the column. Not a huge deal either way.

Thanks .......

The BL comment was to the Rain the 4k NAM painted around Staten Island .

My take is 36 could be snow and 39 sleet . 

post-86-0-61217800-1425308285.png

That looks like a ZR sounding to me.  Warm layer too deep for sleet.  On the other hand that is not for certain because the sub freezing layer below 850 might generate it's own snizzle which might help some of those raindrops freeze.  Without something already frozen to help them freeze, the raindrops will supercool but do not freeze falling through the cold layer.  IP/ZR is complicated stuff...so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

EDIT: ZR or maybe even plain rain.  Looks like the surface is above freezing.

That looks like a ZR sounding to me. Warm layer too deep for sleet. On the other hand that is not for certain because the sub freezing layer below 850 might generate it's own snizzle which might help some of those raindrops freeze. Without something already frozen to help them freeze, the raindrops will supercool but do not freeze falling through the cold layer. IP/ZR is complicated stuff...so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

EDIT: ZR or maybe even plain rain. Looks like the surface is above freezing.

To me that's plain rn. Temps at surface look to be 34/35 with a veering wind.

Archived