Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17th Storm II

stormtracker

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeez...Ukmet assassinates DC....about 0.60-0.65"

:huh: Wow.  I'm kind of surprised it's holding so consistently the past couple of days (or more?).  It's either going to be great, or off.  From that plot above from Yoda, and recalling what it looked like before, the precip shield definitely punches a lot more SW to NE.  Stronger low, too, I think?

I'm hugging whatever models give me the most precip.

I like your call earlier that the northern edge is doing well west of here.  Lexington and Cincy are doing fine right now.  It might be close for some of us up this way, but I think we end up doing ok, especially if we keep our bar set at a reasonable height.

That 850-650 layer is very dry and that is common in arctic air masses. It's going to take more than some light qpf or weak lift to erode the dry air and saturate the column. I think the guidance is picking up on this.

it moistens quickly over the next few hours despite the inialization (RAP) looking a lot like that

Here is the issue...IAD sounding as of 12. Look how dry...

http://weather.unisys.com/upper_air/skew/skew_KIAD.gif

So I know there's been discussion regarding how well the models truly capture that dry air and account for virga etc. Along those lines, is it reasonable to compare the recent model generated skew-T's to the real radiosonde data and then draw conclusions about how well the dry air has been taken into consideration? i.e. whether the dry air that's present was well-modeled or if it is a "surprise" to the computers?

So I know there's been discussion regarding how well the models truly capture that dry air and account for virga etc. Along those lines, is it reasonable to compare the recent model generated skew-T's to the real radiosonde data and then draw conclusions about how well the dry air has been taken into consideration? i.e. whether the dry air that's present was well-modeled or if it is a "surprise" to the computers?

Only way to find out is to take initial condition through the column in the real atmosphere and compare to what the model predicted or initialized with. Would have to watch the progression through the day of how well the column moistens versus how the model is doing.

It's being initialized well, and it moistens quickly over the next 6 hours...keep in mind that that was a 12z sounding for IAD

post-66-0-40818400-1424106377_thumb.png

Terrain in our area makes things tricky. We can downslope with certain wind directions which at the lower levels can create a drying effect. It's small but can make a difference.

our winds will be from the east and northeast with the retreating high to our north/northeast and storm to our south so no problem there

Archived