Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15-16th Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GGEM was the first with the last storm. Compared to the last system, there's alot more factors at play here. So lets see! 

wasn't the ggem one of the furthest south models with the last storm?  I know leading up to the storm the ggem was the last model to finally cave and shift north.   I recall that well because it was our last hope, in fact the euro moved north before the ggem did. 

The gfs and nam did better.    The uk was actually the furthest north of all of them 6 days out and never waivered from that solution, everyone, including myself, thought it looked goofy....damn thing ended up being right with a track to northeast Ohio. 

Interesting that the UK is now the most suppressed with next weeks storm

wasn't the ggem one of the furthest south models with the last storm?  I know leading up to the storm the ggem was the last model to finally cave and shift north.   I recall that well because it was our last hope, in fact the euro moved north before the ggem did. 

The gfs and nam did better.    The uk was actually the furthest north of all of them 6 days out and never waivered from that solution, everyone, including myself, thought it looked goofy....damn thing ended up being right with a track to northeast Ohio. 

Interesting that the UK is now the most suppressed with next weeks storm

The GGEM had some big runs like a week+ out, but then lost it or kept it suppressed until it got closer.

Upper air charts really paint the picture with this storm. The wind charts just show how much is at stake with this storm. Strong Pacific and Polar jet-stream will make way for a nice tight gradient between the north and the south. The 18z GFS has a weak SE ridge around Bermuda and this could benefit us if the other factors (timing -->phasing) come together. 

post-6644-0-84278500-1423709854_thumb.pn

Thats a strong jet-streak (bodes well for good storm development) and you can see the STJ influence coming into this. The PNA ridge out West is in an ideal position for a more inland track and a weak East Based -NAO near Greenland. Timing is everything. Lets see! 

My motto as always for SE MI...honestly 4-5 days out, no worries (or.excitement) about the storm next week from me. As long as a storm is shown all is fine. If we get to 2-3 days out and it continue to trend away, thats a different story. But we still have 2 more days where watching the models is just like.a tv show imo.

My gut's telling me that this is going to be an I 70 special. I saw what you just posted as I was typing this Baum and you may be right. But I'm thinking the models will continue to trend a little north, but not cut through Toledo this time due to stronger suppression.

I really think that IND will get off of the snide (6" for season) and the CMH crew will be happy. Now that I've thrown out my uneducated thoughts, we'll just sit back and watch what happens.

My gut's telling me that this is going to be an I 70 special. I saw what you just posted as I was typing this Baum and you may be right. But I'm thinking the models will continue to trend a little north, but not cut through Toledo this time due to stronger suppression.

I really think that IND will get off of the snide (6" for season) and the CMH crew will be happy. Now that I've thrown out my uneducated thoughts, we'll just sit back and watch what happens.

IND is probably too far north...which is funny/cruel because they've been a bit too far south a few other times this winter. As it is right now, I think I'd rather be in PAH, EVV, SDF, CVG, etc for this one. 0z EPS backs up the op pretty well. 0z and 6z GEFS are also pretty far south.

IND is probably too far north...which is funny/cruel because they've been a bit too far south a few other times this winter. As it is right now, I think I'd rather be in PAH, EVV, SDF, CVG, etc for this one. 0z EPS backs up the op pretty well. 0z and 6z GEFS are also pretty far south.

I think I'd rather be north of where the model average is placing the snow band right now.  I think the greater risk is that this comes north instead of continuing south, and the potential for something big is on the table if we can get the phasing to work out better. 

I think I'd rather be north of where the model average is placing the snow band right now.  I think the greater risk is that this comes north instead of continuing south, and the potential for something big is on the table if we can get the phasing to work out better. 

Welp, 12z GFS says everyone gets shutout. :lol:

I realize models aren't perfect, but geez some of these performances are abysmal.  :axe:

Though, the UK has been way south and a non-event all along. Interesting... 

Welp, 12z GFS says everyone gets shutout. :lol:

I realize models aren't perfect, but geez some of these performances are abysmal.  :axe:

Though, the UK has been way south and a non-event all along. Interesting... 

I guess the thing I'm pinning some hope on is that the northern stream wave will cooperate more as we get closer, as it seems like there's been a general trend this winter to underestimate the amplification at this timeframe.  We need that to come in farther south/west.  But that's only one part of the puzzle.

We've pretty much reached the bottom on some of these model solutions... in terms of a weak piece of junk.  Nowhere to go but up.  :guitar:

Holy cow the 12Z GFS was a   :cliff:  run for this forum!!!  :arrowhead:

this is 132 hrs out.... personally I'd gladly work with this.  In fact MUCH further nw is not out of the question.  No strong HP to the north is one glaring thing I see.   Sharpen that trough at 120 and a tad more phase, and this is a diff scenario completely....and it may not be good for me.

post-622-0-97162700-1423758581_thumb.jpg

Archived