Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15-16th Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Official sites in Kentucky doing work. Very nice.

0500 PM SNOW WEST PADUCAH 37.08N 88.74W

02/16/2015 M10.8 INCH MCCRACKEN KY OFFICIAL NWS OBS

SNOW TOTAL AT NWS PADUCAH

0650 PM SNOW 4 ENE JACKSON 37.58N 83.31W

02/16/2015 M11.1 INCH BREATHITT KY OFFICIAL NWS OBS

4.8 INCHES OVER THE LAST 6 HOURS FOR A STORM TOTAL OF
11.1 INCHES.

0728 PM SNOW LEXINGTON 38.04N 84.46W

02/16/2015 M10.0 INCH FAYETTE KY ASOS

OFFICIAL SNOW REPORT FROM BLUEGRASS AIRPORT

Had about 1.5" of dense powder about 5:30 when I got home. Then in about 1:45 later I picked up another 2" of the lightest fluffiest crap I've ever seen on top here in SW Greene Co. (SE side of Dayton).  Almost feels like cheating to say I have 3.5" total, and Buckeye No I'm not measuring from the taint!  LOL  Water content at 9 degrees had to be next to nothing the last couple hours.

As usual, LMK with a quality write-up (usually a AFD but in this case a storm summary):

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/lmk/pdf/Feb162015_345PM.pdf

Another case where ILN could take a note or two from these folks.

Damn shame what the Artic air that is in place did to the snowfall totals up this way....should have wrung out more than the 4+ here in SE Cincy.

Does anyone else think the forecasted weekend temps are bit inflated based on the proceeding air -mass and the snow cover that far south or am I simply displaying my lack of knowledge?

Right here on the Centerville/Bellbrook line.  Fluffy snow, like cotton.  HighTechEE nailed the snow depth.  All you have to do is sneeze, and the driveway is cleared :-)

Single digit temps made for a quick accumulation once the deformation zone hit. 

Not the big dog, but I had very low expectations - a total miss to the south to be exact.

Official sites in Kentucky doing work. Very nice.

0500 PM SNOW WEST PADUCAH 37.08N 88.74W

02/16/2015 M10.8 INCH MCCRACKEN KY OFFICIAL NWS OBS

SNOW TOTAL AT NWS PADUCAH

0650 PM SNOW 4 ENE JACKSON 37.58N 83.31W

02/16/2015 M11.1 INCH BREATHITT KY OFFICIAL NWS OBS

4.8 INCHES OVER THE LAST 6 HOURS FOR A STORM TOTAL OF

11.1 INCHES.

0728 PM SNOW LEXINGTON 38.04N 84.46W

02/16/2015 M10.0 INCH FAYETTE KY ASOS

OFFICIAL SNOW REPORT FROM BLUEGRASS AIRPORT

For some perspective, I'm pretty sure that Paducah doesn't average more than 11-12" of snow for an entire winter.

Right here on the Centerville/Bellbrook line.  Fluffy snow, like cotton.  HighTechEE nailed the snow depth.  All you have to do is sneeze, and the driveway is cleared :-)

Single digit temps made for a quick accumulation once the deformation zone hit. 

Not the big dog, but I had very low expectations - a total miss to the south to be exact.

LOL you're right, I got my leaf blower out and cleared off my truck in about 15 seconds!

For some perspective, I'm pretty sure that Paducah doesn't average more than 11-12" of snow for an entire winter.

1981-10 normal season snowfall for PAH is 9.1".

According to PAH's website, 14.2" with the Dec 22-23, 2004 storm is their biggest on record. 

So yeah, this one is pretty historic for Paducah. Really for the whole state, because there probably hasn't been too many that have dumped fairly widespread 10"+ totals. Cool stuff.

Hardest fought 3.5" ever...still snowing so may add a couple of tenths. It snowed with visibility under 1 mile (and at times under half a mile) from about 10AM till 6PM, with light snow thereafter. We never got good lift in the DGZ (and for a long time we in subsidence between bands) so the snow is really dense considering we sat at 5-10 degrees for most of the storm and had a deep DGZ aloft...the flakes were for the most part small. Still, a long period of decent snow, roads are really bad, could be worse.

Finished with 7.5 inches of snow at my location. Great storm but nothing historic by any means up here. I'm quite happy even though the south got quite a bit more.

This snow puts me right at my season average of about 12 inches if you include what I got in the mid November storm.

Officially, we got 7.0 inches at the airport and that's not even a top-10 snow storm for the month of February, although the NWS location, which is located on the southside of town, got over 8 inches.

By my count, this is the 31st time we have seen a 7+ inch snowfall in less than 24 hours since 1887. So, I guess I can't complain about the lack of 6+ inch snowfalls for another four years, although, I will. :P

Finished with 7.5 inches of snow at my location. Great storm but nothing historic by any means up here. I'm quite happy even though the south got quite a bit more.

This snow puts me right at my season average of about 12 inches if you include what I got in the mid November storm.

Officially, we got 7.0 inches at the airport and that's not even a top-10 snow storm for the month of February, although the NWS location, which is located on the southside of town, got over 8 inches.

By my count, this is the 31st time we have seen a 7+ inch snowfall in less than 24 hours since 1887. So, I guess I can't complain about the lack of 6+ inch snowfalls for another four years, although, I will. :P

Glad you made out OK down that way. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have a decent snowpack in place!

Hardest fought 3.5" ever...still snowing so may add a couple of tenths. It snowed with visibility under 1 mile (and at times under half a mile) from about 10AM till 6PM, with light snow thereafter. We never got good lift in the DGZ (and for a long time we in subsidence between bands) so the snow is really dense considering we sat at 5-10 degrees for most of the storm and had a deep DGZ aloft...the flakes were for the most part small. Still, a long period of decent snow, roads are really bad, could be worse.

Bingo. Lack of lift and some dry air was not modeled well so we fell short (mostly) of the forecast. Also between 3.5 and 4 imby in NE Cincy. Kind of a shame because I was hoping we would finally get a "big" one and cvg did hit 6.3 so the record books will reflect a big hit. But just a few miles north....not so much.

Roads kind of felt like a lot more than 4"... Had some rough conditions when I was out at 8pm.

Archived