• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15-16th Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

I see that Ryan pinned this thread, the one that some were calling to be locked the other day.  Either he is doing it for the benefit of our southern posters or he is thinking a more northward shift is in store. lol

Early in the thread I mentioned that my gut was saying an I 70 special and I am not changing my mind. However, dry air is going to cause a very sharp cutoff of precip, which means that it may be another near miss for MBY. That's okay, it's been fun watching this play out.

I think he's just being a nice, charitable guy.    But I love your gut call.  Any meteorology behind it or more of a gas bubble situation?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMK doing a conference call right now and is saying that this is going to the biggest snowstorm in over 10 years for all of Kentucky. Going 10-15 inches for the Bluegrass/Western Kentucky Parkway down south to the Cumberland Parkway and 8 to 12 inches for KY parkways northward to river including Louisville.

Now, they're saying we could drop down to inbetween -10 and -15 Thursday morning. All time February record low is -19, doubt we get that low. Thursday morning's record low is 0, looks like we will hit that for sure.

The least amount of snow a model is showing for Louisville is 8-10 inches. A lot are showing around a foot or more. It's like a dream. Tomorrow should be a fun day for me. Hope you folks up north can cash in a little bit too. :)

glad to see our most southern subforum member with a legit reason for posting in the storm thread.   Refreshing change from all these annoying Chicago and Detroit posters that always hog up all the oxygen around here, (not to mention the snow).   :P;)    

kidding aside, you're in the golden zone for this one uk!   Per usual if us CMH'ers aren't beating back a warm tongue, we're playing tug of war with a low.

LMK doing a conference call right now and is saying that this is going to the biggest snowstorm in over 10 years for all of Kentucky. Going 10-15 inches for the Bluegrass/Western Kentucky Parkway down south to the Cumberland Parkway and 8 to 12 inches for KY parkways northward to river including Louisville.

Now, they're saying we could drop down to inbetween -10 and -15 Thursday morning. All time February record low is -19, doubt we get that low. Thursday morning's record low is 0, looks like we will hit that for sure.

Enjoy the storm! This has to be a big deal down there. I bet the excitement is everywhere. That's the best part for me. reports and pics please!

I think he's just being a nice, charitable guy.    But I love your gut call.  Any meteorology behind it or more of a gas bubble situation?

Definitely gastrointestinal.  I couldn't forecast my way out of a  paper bag.

I made the call the other day when several runs (especially the Crazy Uncle) was showing a nice OV hit.  I was thinking that a little northward shift would take place which would result in the snow-starved I 70 area inching (pun intended) closer to climo.  Then the models all became snowbirds for a few runs but have come back home to roost.

Latest from WPC:

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
142 PM EST SUN FEB 15 2015

VALID FEB 15/1200 UTC THRU FEB 19/0000 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR
INGEST...

12Z MODEL EVALUATION...INCLUDING FINAL PREFERENCES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POWERFUL UPPER LOW AND SURFACE LOW DEPARTING THE CANADIAN MARITIMES
THROUGH EARLY MON MORNING
PREFERENCE: GENERAL MODEL COMPROMISE
CONFIDENCE: ABOVE AVERAGE

THE MODELS NOW SHOW SIMILARLY WITH THIS SYSTEM.

PAIR OF SHORTWAVES DIGGING DOWN THROUGH THE WESTERN U.S. TODAY/MON
BAJA ENERGY SHEARING OUT TO THE EAST ACROSS THE GULF COAST TUE A.M.
SURFACE LOW ACROSS THE GULF COAST STATES ON MON
SURFACE LOW TRACKING OFF THE NORTHEAST COAST ON TUE
PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 12Z UKMET AND 12Z ECMWF
CONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGE

AFTER SEVERAL ENSEMBLE CYCLES OF A WEAKENING TREND TOWARD THE
FLATTER ENSEMBLE CONSENSUS...A MARKED SHIFT IN THE 00Z/15 ENSEMBLE
PACKAGE HAS SHIFTED BACK TO THE PREVIOUS EDGE OF THE ENSEMBLE
SPREAD REGARDING A SHORTWAVE NEAR THE FOUR CORNERS REGION. THE
CURRENT ENSEMBLE SPAGHETTI PLOTS SHOW SIMILAR SPREAD TO
YESTERDAY...BUT THEY ARE JUST DISPLACED TOWARD THE MORE AMPLIFIED
SIDE OF THE CURRENT MODEL SPREAD.

LOOKING AT THE 500 MB SHORTWAVE FORECAST TO BE TRACK FROM THE FOUR
CORNERS TO THE TX/OK PANHANDLES TONIGHT...THE 12Z NAM/GFS ARE A
BIT FLATTER THAN EVEN SHORT TERM FORECASTS FROM THE 12Z
NMM/ARW...15Z HRRR...15Z RAP. HOWEVER...THESE SHORT TERM MODELS
SUPPORT A 12Z ECMWF/UKMET BLEND THROUGH THE BEGINNING OF THE DAY 1
PERIOD. **ALL** OF THE DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED SHARPER
WITH THIS FEATURE SINCE YESTERDAY...AND MAY STILL BE TRYING TO
CATCH UP TO CURRENT OBSERVATIONS.

DUE TO THE CHANGES SEEN AND TRENDS...WE WILL BE LEANING TOWARD THE
MORE AMPLIFIED CAMP...BEST SUPPORTED BY THE 12Z
ECMWF/UKMET...WHICH ONLY MADE VERY MINOR CHANGES FROM THEIR 00Z
RUNS...AND AGREE WITH THE 00Z ECMWF MEAN. CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW
GIVEN THE INSTABILITY IN THE MODELS AND SIGNIFICANT RUN TO RUN
CHANGES.

glad to see our most southern subforum member with a legit reason for posting in the storm thread.   Refreshing change from all these annoying Chicago and Detroit posters that always hog up all the oxygen around here, (not to mention the snow).   :P;)    

kidding aside, you're in the golden zone for this one uk!   Per usual if us CMH'ers aren't beating back a warm tongue, we're playing tug of war with a low.

Haha, for once the north trend worked in my favor. Usually always goes against me. I was quite depressed a few days ago when i was reading the Southeastern and Tennessee Valley subforums.

Enjoy the storm! This has to be a big deal down there. I bet the excitement is everywhere. That's the best part for me. reports and pics please!

It's a huge deal. LMK has recommended every school system to go ahead and cancel school for tomorrow. They're 75 percent confident we're going to get slammed. The Grocery Stores are a zoo I'm sure. Louisville will be back in business Wednesday or Thursday although school may be canceled due to the brutal cold. The rural areas won't get back to normal until next weekend.

As one of those people I actually agree, glad to see these guys getting some excitement. Now for the hard part, the storm actually happening and just who gets the big amounts. Fun times as always...

Good luck to all. :snowing:

Quote from Mike Ryan at IND on Chat:

All...we've updated our weather story and added a video talking about our forecast decisions with our headlines today. Going the conservative route as there is some concern how well some of the model data is capturing the drier air to our north. Several models (NAM/RAP/HRRR) all not handling current dewpoints well at all. Transition point from <1" to 3-4" only about 20-30 miles, likely near/just south of I-70. Tricky forecast on the northern fringe. In nowcast mode...be interesting to see 00Z guidance this evening.

Even though IND continues to forecast an inch for Indy proper, the 15z SREF Jacques mean is 3.5" with an lol run of 11". Even taking that out, it is spitting out over 3". When you're sitting at 8.9" for the season and 6.2" since Dec. 1, every inch counts. Tough forecast for them with a quick cutoff near the city.

National Weather Service goin 8-12 inches of snow for Northern Louisville with 10-15 inches for the southern part of town. I live about seven miles north of the 10-15 inch line. It's going to be hard to sleep tonight, can't wait for tomorrow.

Good luck and take pics. I've got friends in Corydon, I'll have to give them a call.

Good luck and take pics. I've got friends in Corydon, I'll have to give them a call.

Trust me, I'll be taking pictures. Work has already told me to work from home.

Enjoy the storm Kentucky folks! That sucker is juiced up. Gotta friend that lives off Bardstown Rd in Louisville, said 8-12" is like 4' for there lol.

Hoping next winter treats us a little better! Nothing like wave after wave of arctic air with snow on the ground!

Chamba, I live off Bardstown Road as well. If we get 10 inches, we'll be in top-10 storm category. I'll post the graphic later.

WWA extended slightly further northward by ILX to include SPI:

Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL1000 PM CST SUN FEB 15 2015ILZ049>051-161000-/O.EXA.KILX.WW.Y.0006.000000T0000Z-150217T0000Z/SCOTT-MORGAN-SANGAMON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JACKSONVILLE...SPRINGFIELD1000 PM CST SUN FEB 15 2015...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST MONDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LINCOLN HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CSTMONDAY.* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE NIGHT AND INTO THE  AFTERNOON HOURS OF MONDAY...WITH THE HEAVIEST ACCUMULATIONS  MAINLY BETWEEN MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND NOON ON MONDAY.* ACCUMULATIONS...WILL RANGE FROM 1 TO 2 INCHES ALONG AND NORTH OF  A WINCHESTER TO JACKSONVILLE TO SPRINGFIELD LINE...AND FROM 2 TO  4 INCHES TO THE SOUTH.* IMPACTS...ROADS AND WALKWAYS WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY  OVERNIGHT...WITH HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS CONTINUING  THROUGH THE DAY ON MONDAY.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOWWILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOWCOVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILEDRIVING.

We need 10 inches of snow to make this a top-10 snowstorm. We haven't had a 10+ inch storm since March of 2008. I was a freshman at Murray State and only received five inches of snow from that storm in Murray. I, personally, haven't seen 10+ inches in one storm since Feburary of 1998 which was amazing.

I remember that '98 storm well even though it didn't affect me.  We were leaving for a family trip to Disney World.  I was sitting on the runway at port Columbus, looking out the window and it was just starting to snow.  I remember thinking I was going to miss the only winter storm that whole season.  It was that infamous super el nino year.   That night I'm eating dinner at a restaurant in Orlando and I over heard people talking at another table saying Cincy was having a huge snowstorm.  

What a crazy storm.  It was a cut off low so places to the north got rain or ice, while places like cincy and Louisville got tons of snow.  I think Columbus had mostly ice from what I was told.

I remember that '98 storm well even though it didn't affect me. We were leaving for a family trip to Disney World. I was sitting on the runway at port Columbus, looking out the window and it was just starting to snow. I remember thinking I was going to miss the only winter storm that whole season. It was that infamous super el nino year. That night I'm eating dinner at a restaurant in Orlando and I over heard people talking at another table saying Cincy was having a huge snowstorm.

What a crazy storm. It was a cut off low so places to the north got rain or ice, while places like cincy and Louisville got tons of snow. I think Columbus had mostly ice from what I was told.

That was probably a once in 100 year storm. Our moisture came from the Atlantic and temperatures were right around freezing for the three day event.

Archived