bluewave

15 at 7pm in NYC. Central Park just needs to drop under 10 before midnight so

it can get 2 more single digit low days in February. That would bring NYC to

5 on the month and 5th place with more single digit potential before the month

ends.

Top February single digit days in NYC:

6.....1917, 1914, 1881

3......2015...so far

Gonna be close for midnight.  Usually when the PWSs around the city start falling off a cliff, you can expect some pretty good drops from the hourly park readings.  I'm not seeing action like we saw on Sunday yet.  Literally after 3pm on Sunday, things just took a nosedive.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be close for midnight.  Usually when the PWSs around the city start falling off a cliff, you can expect some pretty good drops from the hourly park readings.  I'm not seeing action like we saw on Sunday yet.  Literally after 3pm on Sunday, things just took a nosedive.

the CAA peaked earlier than this wave will. the coldest 850's occur around 6z on the latest nam

I think I have a unique perspective of this cold wave vs the last one as I was out side for both. (Work outside not just a few minutes) This one feels like a cold winter night the kind you experience every couple winters.

Sunday night was on another level. It had a feel to it that was different. For me the best comparison is at the summits in Vermont with similar temp dew and wind combo. You take a deep breath through your nose and it freezes.

It's not doing that out there tonight. Well see what happens later but I think the colder 850s this time just cruise over the city without that crazy CAA the other night. 6 is still solid this late in the season

I think I have a unique perspective of this cold wave vs the last one as I was out side for both. (Work outside not just a few minutes) This one feels like a cold winter night the kind you experience every couple winters.

Sunday night was on another level. It had a feel to it that was different. For me the best comparison is at the summits in Vermont with similar temp dew and wind combo. You take a deep breath through your nose and it freezes.

It's not doing that out there tonight. Well see what happens later but I think the colder 850s this time just cruise over the city without that crazy CAA the other night. 6 is still solid this late in the season

Because it dropped 3 degrees per hour during hours that people are awake.

CAA had kicked in big time by the time I got back to the island. Winds were ripping over the train platform definitely the worst part about commuting on the south shore as our platforms are raised 30' In the air. Old snow was blowing an drifting out of a field. About as nasty as it gets to be outside.

I hope cpk gets below 10 before midnight. Looks on track

Your idea of 4 or 5 seems the most reasonable.  We'll probably get to that around 3am or so and hold.

NYC is easy to predict based on 850s, you have to make adjustment for wind and snow cover but usually -25 to -28C or so gets you to about 4-5 with WNW wind flow and either no snowpack or a stale snowpack, if the wind flow is more NW or you have fresh deep snow on the ground you can usually take it down to about 1-3.  Anything less than -28C you have a legit shot at 0 or below as long as winds are not 270-290.

NYC is easy to predict based on 850s, you have to make adjustment for wind and snow cover but usually -25 to -28C or so gets you to about 4-5 with WNW wind flow and either no snowpack or a stale snowpack, if the wind flow is more NW or you have fresh deep snow on the ground you can usually take it down to about 1-3.  Anything less than -28C you have a legit shot at 0 or below as long as winds are not 270-290.

Yea, when there is virtually no radiational cooling, it takes out one of the variables.

Wouldn't -28C 850s be all-time record territory for NYC?

I know it's not this area nor would indicate what might happen in this area,

Saranak Lake, (SLK) went from 0/-6 to -5/-11 in one hour

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSLK.html

**** oh never mind, didn't notice obs stopped b/w 18:51 to 21:51

They also regularly go below -30. That's one of the coldest spots in the east!!!!

I know it's not this area nor would indicate what might happen in this area,

Saranak Lake, (SLK)  went from 0/-6 to -5/-11 in one hour 

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSLK.html

**** oh never mind, didn't notice obs stopped b/w 18:51 to 21:51

It's -8/-15 in Hot Springs, VA (Bath County, SW of Staunton, near the WV border):

METAR KHSP 200315Z AUTO 30020G28KT 260V320 4SM HZ OVC019 M22/M26 A2983 RMK AO2 T12221263

Archived