• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

I'm predicting a very hot summer unfortunately. No spring. I think all ingredients come in to play to have a very warm April to about June. July may be wet and humid but cooler than average. Hot August and September with way above average. Also autumn should be a warm and dry one with a warm winter of 2015-16.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm predicting a very hot summer unfortunately. No spring. I think all ingredients come in to play to have a very warm April to about June. July may be wet and humid but cooler than average. Hot August and September with way above average. Also autumn should be a warm and dry one with a warm winter of 2015-16.

Are you a Farmer's Almanac writer?

There is building support for a complete breakdown of the cold pattern come the beginning of March. The euro weeklies are showing it. By early March it looks increasing likely that we have a hostile MJO wave which forces retrogression and we go into an -PNA, +EPO/+WPO, +AO and +NAO regime. Come early March the EPO is progged neutral, so is the WPO, but they are both on their way up into positive territory. If that happens, break out the short sleeves with that March sun overhead..,

and the life rafts with all the melting snow up this way...I have about 2-3 inches of water equivalent locked up in snowpack.   FWIW-models are often too quick to breakdown a pattern, so while I agree it will have to end some time, I think early March is too early...more like week 2 or even week 3 of March.

Are you a Farmer's Almanac writer?

No but I predict long term weather. I have a web site on it. I've been doing it for 3 years and not to sound like a douche but I got all 3 winters and summers right so far. I can pm you site if you want

Edit: Im surprised at the results myself trust me.

Sent from my iPhone

that map is paywalled

My bad .

I will not post it but if you look at the D15 Euro ensembles you can see the trough is just stuck in the east .

That get`s you out to  March 4th . If you can`t get rid of that NEG EPO , you can`t get rid of the EC trough .

Snowfall 2014-15 Winter

Through February 17, 2014 / 4:00 PM

Islip: 41.4"

Bridgeport: 36.8"

NWS Upton 34.9"

LaGuardia: 32.3"

JFK: 26.4"

Newark: 25.7"

Central Park: 24.4"

It went from deep blues to that in one day

That's different, what you said below, was not accurate, not only is it not "way above normal temps", it's actually below. Way off

BTW, the CFS, which was the only model showing a cold March, just flipped. It is now showing way above normal temps for us the entire month, another bad sign

As we look back on this past event, it was a nice advisory level snowfall for much of the region.....around 2" here in NENJ and more further south where that band set up.....Though it was not an under performer like almost every event this season, I don't believe that this was much of a bust on either side. For those who, as the storm approached, said we would get next to nothing.....that is of course a bust. For those who said we'd get anywhere near 8,10,12 inches, that is also a bust obviously. For most areas, most of the RGEM/short term model's numbers were fairly accurate (although the snow maps generated from them, which assume mainly a 10:1 ratio, were naturally way off). Many of the snow maps from forecasters/mets/hobbyists were also not too far off (my little map verified well, if the 1-3 and 3-4 were shifted just slightly north on its eastern flank where that band set up). I guess when the forecast is 2-4 after falling victim to many busted, underperforming events, the tendency is to call that an over performer (especially when many were calling this threat completely over when the HRRR generated 10:1 snow maps showed only an inch to inch and a half).....also because the amounts that were slightly higher or at the high of of snow forecasts were centered around the major NY metro area, the tendency is to magnify any slight error with the snow ratios or liquid equivalent.....altogether, factor in the ratios that did materialize and slight model noise between runs which varied from 0.15 to 0.2, 0.25, 0.2, etc.....and you have a nice little event that came together as we hoped it would. No one truly "busted" except those calling for barely any snow or those calling for 6-12". Nitpicking over whether or not NYC got a fraction of an inch more or less just for forecast verification is going a bit overboard in my opinion

As we look back on this past event, it was a nice advisory level snowfall for much of the region.....around 2" here in NENJ and more further south where that band set up.....Though it was not an under performer like almost every event this season, I don't believe that this was much of a bust on either side. For those who, as the storm approached, said we would get next to nothing.....that is of course a bust. For those who said we'd get anywhere near 8,10,12 inches, that is also a bust obviously. For most areas, most of the RGEM/short term model's numbers were fairly accurate (although the snow maps generated from them, which assume mainly a 10:1 ratio, were naturally way off). Many of the snow maps from forecasters/mets/hobbyists were also not too far off (my little map verified well, if the 1-3 and 3-4 were shifted just slightly north on its eastern flank where that band set up). I guess when the forecast is 2-4 after falling victim to many busted, underperforming events, the tendency is to call that an over performer (especially when many were calling this threat completely over when the HRRR generated 10:1 snow maps showed only an inch to inch and a half).....also because the amounts that were slightly higher or at the high of of snow forecasts were centered around the major NY metro area, the tendency is to magnify any slight error with the snow ratios or liquid equivalent.....altogether, factor in the ratios that did materialize and slight model noise between runs which varied from 0.15 to 0.2, 0.25, 0.2, etc.....and you have a nice little event that came together as we hoped it would. No one truly "busted" except those calling for barely any snow or those calling for 6-12". Nitpicking over whether or not NYC got a fraction of an inch more or less just for forecast verification is going a bit overboard in my opinion

WG, you are very verbose & literary...you remind me of me...I'm impressed.

*props*

Archived