northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol. I'm the Dad. My wife is a teacher, so she can't take off. The schools are tough on teachers on these make up days about taking off.  Otherwise taking the kids out for a day wouldnt be a problem.

Is she union?  They'll get her out of working  :whistle:   

can't wait for this -epo pattern to reverse. then it's back to endless positive departure months

Wow almost the whole hemisphere is warm.  Yeah when this breaks there's gonna be some nice spring weather to be had.  after the mud goes away

Seems like we might go from deep winter to mid Spring in rather short order come next month.

There is building support for a complete breakdown of the cold pattern come the beginning of March. The euro weeklies are showing it. By early March it looks increasing likely that we have a hostile MJO wave which forces retrogression and we go into an -PNA, +EPO/+WPO, +AO and +NAO regime. Come early March the EPO is progged neutral, so is the WPO, but they are both on their way up into positive territory. If that happens, break out the short sleeves with that March sun overhead..,

Part of the problem with next month is that we don't have an established El Niño. If we had the ENSO/Nino tropical convective forcing, we would be able to sustain +PNA, we are in a La Nada for all intents and purposes so there is nothing to force us from not going into an RNA pattern

dude this is a historic winter for the northeast snowy and especially cold so what are you talking about lol

Part of the problem with next month is that we don't have an established El Niño. If we had the ENSO/Nino tropical convective forcing, we would be able to sustain +PNA, we are in a La Nada for all intents and purposes so there is nothing to force us from not going into an RNA pattern

WTF are you talking about?

The PNA has been positive all month

pna.sprd2.gif

There is building support for a complete breakdown of the cold pattern come the beginning of March. The euro weeklies are showing it. By early March it looks increasing likely that we have a hostile MJO wave which forces retrogression and we go into an -PNA, +EPO/+WPO, +AO and +NAO regime. Come early March the EPO is progged neutral, so is the WPO, but they are both on their way up into positive territory. If that happens, break out the short sleeves with that March sun overhead..,

Feelin' Morchy

Hopefully we reload in time for continuous rain in April/May with occasional shots of interior/elevation snow. If we can make it to June 1 without having mental breakdowns or abandoning our obligations and running off to the Northwest Territories, it'll be just 66* business days until meteorological autumn begins and the weather starts improving. Dread not the impending warm season; we'll work through it together, and you'll barely notice that winter was ever gone.

*The Arctic Circle is currently just poleward of 66°N. Coincidence? Hardly.

Let's hope we score next week David. Cause after next weekend into the following week, it looks to get very ugly (if you like snow and cold that is)

i doubt the cold gives up so early. It'll take a while till we have no snow chances: I'd say mid March!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully we reload in time for continuous rain in April/May with occasional shots of interior/elevation snow. If we can make it to June 1 without having mental breakdowns or abandoning our obligations and running off to the Northwest Territories, it'll be just 66* business days until meteorological autumn begins and the weather starts improving. Dread not the impending warm season; we'll work through it together, and you'll barely notice that winter was ever gone.

*The Arctic Circle is currently just poleward of 66°N. Coincidence? Hardly.

Hopefully we get up into the 70s in a few weeks and our snow is nothing but a memory.

Can I ask which CFS you are looking at? I just looked at the 6z and it's "warm" for like a week, then cold again until april

I was wondering the same. The Euro weeklies are not warm either. The "warmest" they get is in week 4 and it's like 0.5 degrees below normal. Of course that's warm compared to where we are at now, especially considering it's mid-late March, but it's not short and t-shirt weather.

I'm not even sure why we are so worried about what happens in 3-4 weeks when the next 2 weeks look very promising and long term guidance has failed several times already this past fall and this winter.

I was wondering the same. The Euro weeklies are not warm either. The "warmest" they get is in week 4 and it's like 0.5 degrees below normal. Of course that's warm compared to where we are at now, especially considering it's mid-late March, but it's not short and t-shirt weather.

I'm not even sure why we are so worried about what happens in 3-4 weeks when the next 2 weeks look very promising and long term guidance has failed several times already this past fall and this winter.

Exactly.

Archived