northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a lighter note, we continue to have storm chances. It's not over yet. Long range canadian and GFS both show storm potential not weeks away, but days away. Before we close out this winter, we're going to get hit. I could be very wrong, but I feel that we will. My "silly" call of an additional 15-30" for our areas that I made a week or so ago still stands (in my world lol).....Let's see how it all plays out

U mean to tell me Al Roker knows anything about meteorology? Come on please !

Some on-air new personalities are the equivalent of bands that people say have "sold out".....they will change, grow and adapt to new positions, however they are still talented with what they do.....Only thing is, the new positions and roles that they take may not completely showcase their skill that they did in their prior position. Also, they will always have a following that does not want them to change. You have to realize also that not all on-air weather forecasters are really mets.....Some speak and present things well on air and have a met certificate, some are meteorologists and speak well on air, and others are meteorologists that aren't as good on-air as the others are. The second of those three usually are the best, though all i'm sure have a passion for the weather to some degree

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/10/1/014005

"These results suggest that as the Arctic continues to warm faster than elsewhere in response to rising greenhouse-gas concentrations, the frequency of extreme weather events caused by persistent jet-stream patterns will increase."

I must confess...and I don't say this often...but much of the commentary in The Climate Change Forum is over my head....i.e. I don't fully grasp / comprehend all of it....specifically all the machinations regarding the true meaning of the extent of arctic ice and its relation to climate change in general. 

Finally got around to it; it does take a few minutes 'cause I have to go to about 6 or 7 different NWS sites to gather the numbers.

Season to Date Snowfall

2014-15 / Through 2/15/2015

Worcester: 103.0"

Boston: 95.7"

Albany 68.8"

Providence: 52.1"

Hartford: 46.8"

Scranton: 38.5"

Islip: 38.0"

Bridgeport: 35.5"

NWS Upton: 31.7"

NYC LaGuardia: 29.1"

Allentown: 26.1"

NYC JFK: 22.9"

Newark: 22.5"

NYC Central Park: 21.1"

Washington Dulles: 11.0"

Baltimore BWI: 9.4"

Atlantic City: 7.5"

Philadelphia: 6.5"

Washington National: 3.7"

well ..when all is said and done by march 15 ..I expect to see NYC 30 inches season total ..

On a lighter note, we continue to have storm chances. It's not over yet. Long range canadian and GFS both show storm potential not weeks away, but days away. Before we close out this winter, we're going to get hit. I could be very wrong, but I feel that we will. My "silly" call of an additional 15-30" for our areas that I made a week or so ago still stands (in my world lol).....Let's see how it all plays out

The writing is on the wall already regarding this winter - only 12 days left of winter then you begin to encounter another whole set of obstacles beginning March 1 . Practically every storm has under achieved and expect this current one to do the same as there is already evidence of that happening right now .......coating to maybe an inch or 2 for the immediate metro - then this coming weekends event will have mixing issues - then eventually within the next 10 days this current pattern will relax and there will be a warmup.........

well ..when all is said and done by march 15 ..I expect to see NYC 30 inches season total ..

But, like Broadway Joe, do you "guarantee it?"

The writing is on the wall already regarding this winter - only 12 days left of winter then you begin to encounter another whole set of obstacles beginning March 1 . Practically every storm has under achieved and expect this current one to do the same as there is already evidence of that happening right now .......coating to maybe an inch or 2 for the immediate metro - then this coming weekends event will have mixing issues - then eventually within the next 10 days this current pattern will relax and there will be a warmup.........

I wrote a little about it and met Typhoon Tip in the NE forum wrote something more elaborate this morning but it looks like we will have retrogression by early March and will loose the pattern we have been locked in for over the last month. The lastest euro weeklies support this

Is it true that Jim Cantore left TWC?

My personal favorite was Bill Kneely...the man knew more geography than any person who ever lived.  Also, he had that Dorian Gray aspect about him...appearance was unchanged over the course of a couple of decades. 

My personal favorite was Bill Kneely...the man knew more geography than any person who ever lived.  Also, he had that Dorian Gray aspect about him...appearance was unchanged over the course of a couple of decades.

i miss marny stanier telling me when to reverse the ceiling fan

I wrote a little about it and met Typhoon Tip in the NE forum wrote something more elaborate this morning but it looks like we will have retrogression by early March and will loose the pattern we have been locked in for over the last month. The lastest euro weeklies support this

Music to my ears. Looking forward to warmer weather.

Archived