• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2015 General Discussion

snowlover2

What was the largest negative anomaly in the US for Feb 15th. Climate sites only.

Lansing was -32

Do they grow a lot of fruit around Lansing?  That kind of cold will even start damaging some apples.

Up to a mild 10F now...midnite it was -5F.  South winds and snow brought it up pretty quick.  About an inch of white fluff here.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they grow a lot of fruit around Lansing?  That kind of cold will even start damaging some apples.

Up to a mild 10F now...midnite it was -5F.  South winds and snow brought it up pretty quick.  About an inch of white fluff here.

Last winter many peach trees in MI were damaged/killed.  My local orchard lost all of them and had to take them out.  In fact the Romeo Peach Festival (around dmc) had to have peaches shipped in from out of state.

None of the apples were damaged last winter so I think we should be OK though last night here was brutal being -20 to -30F.   Some of the non-native ones could have been damaged at those temps like the peaches last year.

They grow a lot of fruit in the area that I live in. The area along Lake Michigan tends to be more suitable because the lake gives us a deeper snowpack to protect the plants more, and it usually protects us from the bitter cold. Many areas here along the lakeshore got to -10 to -20 below though.

On another note, winter weather advisory here for another 3 to 5 inches of lake enhanced snow tonight. I'll have close to 2.5 feet on the ground by the end of the weekend!

too much or too little?  while it isn't a 100%, I've found it to be pretty accurate, especially areas with observers reporting.

Too little ... MBY has a good 16" snow pack right now while that shows <12" and in SW MI in LES snow belts west of 131 the 20"-30" range would be more much more accurate.  Many area in SE MI it would be more accurate to be in the 12-16" range with some 16-20" speckled in particularly in the known hills areas.

Too little ... MBY has a good 16" snow pack right now while that shows <12" and in SW MI in LES snow belts west of 131 the 20"-30" range would be more much more accurate.  Many area in SE MI it would be more accurate to be in the 12-16" range with some 16-20" speckled in particularly in the known hills areas.

well officially as of today Grand Rapids has a reporting depth of 8", Muskegon 19", Lansing 9", Kzoo 10.5", Battle Creek 10.8", Jackson 9.4", Houghton Lake 12", Holland 10.4", and even  S Bend's (14") reporting station on the far west side on the county actually lines up great with the map, and these were the areas this week that got the heavier snow.  I'm sure there are higher numbers than that tho, but the depth map matches up pretty well with thos co-op reports. And Josh says around a foot and it goes nice with the map too.  Are there any co-op stations near you?

Maybe Blackrock can report his depth as well.

I'm trying to do a seasonal  report on the snow depth of MI so any info would be great. I've been relying heavily on co-op sites and this map through the season.

Interestingly here is the  weeks worth of snowfall totals.

well officially as of today Grand Rapids has a reporting depth of 8", Muskegon 19", Lansing 9", Kzoo 10.5", Battle Creek 10.8", Jackson 9.4", Houghton Lake 12", Holland 10.4", and even  S Bend's (14") reporting station on the far west side on the county actually lines up great with the map, and these were the areas this week that got the heavier snow.  I'm sure there are higher numbers than that tho, but the depth map matches up pretty well with thos co-op reports. And Josh says around a foot and it goes nice with the map too.  Are there any co-op stations near you?

Maybe Blackrock can report his depth as well.

I'm trying to do a seasonal  report on the snow depth of MI so any info would be great. I've been relying heavily on co-op sites and this map through the season.

Interestingly here is the  weeks worth of snowfall totals.

attachicon.gif21_Feb_2015_aweekofsnow(1).jpg

Snow depth per the various spotters ranges from 6 to 16" in southeast Michigan right now. The HUGE majority of sites though are between 9-13". Snow cores are 1-3" of water. Officially Flint has 8", Ann Arbor 11", Saginaw 11", Detroit 12", White Lake 13". I have 13".

Keep in mind, obviously much like last winter (not quite as bad this year, but still)...it is very difficult to average snow depth because its SO variable. Its one thing to measure in various places, but after so much blowing and drifting, compacting, melting during that thaw weekend..its just all over the place, so you have to pick the BEST average to your best ability and go from there.

One thing I will say...that map didnt look to bad, but wtf was up with northern Kentucky? They dont have anywhere NEAR that much snow on the ground?

btw...that last map...Detroit had over 4" during the week, not 3". But thats GRRs fault lol

Down to -1.  A little over an hour from now we'll add another subzero day to the month, and that will be the 9th for Feb.  Had 9 days subzero in Jan.  Didn't have any subzero readings in Nov or even Dec, so we'll be up to 18 for the season so far.  A few more possible this upcoming week.  Had 38 total for all of last season.  

Found this interesting from SPC but not surprising given the pattern. 

Only 3 watches have been issued through late February, 2015. All 3 were tornado watches issued in early January. No watches have been issued so far in February. The only other 0-watch February in the past 46 years occurred in 1988. (0-watch Januarys include: 1980, 1984, 1986, and 2003.) 

With a total watch count of 3 for January-February, 2015, and 0 severe thunderstorm watches issued, new record lows for total watches, and total severe thunderstorm watches have been established. The 3 tornado watches so far in 2015 place the year in second to last place to 1985, when only 2 tornado watches were issued. 

The maximum January-February tornado and total watch counts occurred in 2008 when 56 tornado and 82 total watches were issued. The maximum number of severe thunderstorm watches issued during the first two months of any year since 1970 occurred in 1998, when 35 were issued. 

On average, about 20 tornado watches and 11 severe thunderstorm watches are issued during January-February for an average total watch count of 31. Thus, the early 2015 watch count is running about 10 percent of normal. 

A couple models (gem, uk) are amping up the Wednesday clipper and tracking a good bit northeast of the nam and gfs.  The Euro is in between.  Tonight's ggem has 0.60" qpf in Cedar Rapids, the UK 0.40".  Both would be several inches of fluffy snow.  If it tracks farther sw we may only get an inch.

Update:  The 00z Euro is now on board the farther northeast, juiced-up track... now showing 0.40" here like the UK.

Archived