Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2015 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG! Amazing! This is what I like to see. :clap:

Nice, weatherbo. The ob from mqt is impressive. -2 with sn+, 0.15 mi vis, 25 mph sustained winds. There is also a civil emergency message - snowmobilers stranded on M-28.

Thanks guys! Definitely the best day of the Winter so far, and for me, even better than the 3' snow in November.

A couple more vids and pics. guesstimating 6" snow so far.

2.0" of the best ratio powder of the season here overnight (very light on the shovel). Now the winds are kicking up and it's blowing and drifting really good out there. I just went for a drive and saw some large ditches next to farm fields drifted shut that I haven't seen drifted shut in almost 10 years. Visibility was around 100-200 feet at times in the open field areas. :)

I have seen better from arctic fronts, but nevertheless, got more snow than I expected with the extreme ratios. Event total was 3.3" both here and at DTW, with ratios upwards of 30-40:1. With the fresh snow now blowing drifting, and settling/compacting a bit, average snow depth is about 13".

Detroit is now at 42.1" on the season, just 0.6" away from hitting average for the entire season, with 2 months of snow to go. Also, today is the 48th day with 1"+ snow on the ground this season, meaning we have hit the normal mark for the entire season (and the snow is going nowhere). While it is unlikely we match last winters record 96 days of 1"+ snowcover, it will be interesting to see how many days in a row we can pull off. Today is the 41st consecutive day, and obviously a melt is nowhere in sight. Of last seasons 96 days, we had 77 consecutive days with 1"+ snowcover, second only to an 81-day stretch in the winter of 1903-04. Once we hit 54 consecutive days it will enter the top 10 for longest stretches.

Its also crazy to see a second straight winter with deep snow hanging on for weeks on end. Snowcover is usually simply looked at as 1"+ days, but after the record-smashing double-digit-depth days of last year, we seem to be on another stretch of double-digit depth this winter.

The run we are on is just phenomenal. I keep saying (and still think) the other shoe HAS to drop...but who knows...maybe this is the new normal? :lol:

Some pics from this morning.

4292-800.jpg

4293-800.jpg

4294-800.jpg

4295-800.jpg

4296-800.jpg

4297-800.jpg

I have seen better from arctic fronts, but nevertheless, got more snow than I expected with the extreme ratios. Event total was 3.3" both here and at DTW, with ratios upwards of 30-40:1. With the fresh snow now blowing drifting, and settling/compacting a bit, average snow depth is about 13".

Detroit is now at 42.1" on the season, just 0.6" away from hitting average for the entire season, with 2 months of snow to go. Also, today is the 48th day with 1"+ snow on the ground this season, meaning we have hit the normal mark for the entire season (and the snow is going nowhere). While it is unlikely we match last winters record 96 days of 1"+ snowcover, it will be interesting to see how many days in a row we can pull off. Today is the 41st consecutive day, and obviously a melt is nowhere in sight. Of last seasons 96 days, we had 77 consecutive days with 1"+ snowcover, second only to an 81-day stretch in the winter of 1903-04. Once we hit 54 consecutive days it will enter the top 10 for longest stretches.

Its also crazy to see a second straight winter with deep snow hanging on for weeks on end. Snowcover is usually simply looked at as 1"+ days, but after the record-smashing double-digit-depth days of last year, we seem to be on another stretch of double-digit depth this winter.

The run we are on is just phenomenal. I keep saying (and still think) the other shoe HAS to drop...but who knows...maybe this is the new normal? :lol:

Some pics from this morning.

It's amazing how we went from a torchy green / brown december right into a nonstop winter wonderland hyper active / windy weather pattern at the start of the new year honestly.

Northern campus in Marquette

Bo remember this day the next time you hear the 'it's too cold to snow good rates' crap.  Sure there are the times it will be a light sugary/hazy snow when it is bitter cold.  BUT you just need the right condition even when it is bitter cold and LES be incredible!!   Enjoy. 

We had several squalls here today and with the stuff from last night I am now over 6" for the event :thumbsup:

The way radar looks you should mounting snow :mapsnow:

Bo remember this day the next time you hear the 'it's too cold to snow good rates' crap.  Sure there are the times it will be a light sugary/hazy snow when it is bitter cold.  BUT you just need the right condition even when it is bitter cold and LES be incredible!!   Enjoy. 

We had several squalls here today and with the stuff from last night I am now over 6" for the event :thumbsup:

The way radar looks you should mounting snow :mapsnow:

funny you mention this. I can't believe how dense, packed and heavy todays snow is. flakes were small but wow!

I think I've had around 8-9" since last night. the snow depth is pretty much waist high and i'm 6'2".

superior freezes up this week I bet.

Alright Bo. Get the snow pants on and take a jebwalk video. ^_^

Great vids!!

I'm done going outside for today so no more videos :D

got a fire going, gonna sip on a nice noir and watch a movie

I'm really surprised the idea of a local blizzard warning isn't being flirted with. It's extremely intense outside... heavy snow, extreme windchill... I didn't expect it to get this bad. I can't see 100 yard.

Probably the fact that the snow isn't consistent enough, or the windchill might not be low enough to qualify.

Sitting at 2F...if you sat inside it looked "nice" out the window...bright mid Feb sunshine sure helped, but man...if you went outside...the wind was just brutal.  Should die down some overnight and winds are said to turn south tomorrow... 

More cold next week...hi temps in the single digits mid week.  Lets get it done with...  rather deal with cold now then in April.

Sitting at 2F...if you sat inside it looked "nice" out the window...bright mid Feb sunshine sure helped, but man...if you went outside...the wind was just brutal.  Should die down some overnight and winds are said to turn south tomorrow... 

More cold next week...hi temps in the single digits mid week.  Lets get it done with...  rather deal with cold now then in April.

Think April will cold too. Relative to averages.

still snowing lightly with the occasional mod burst but winding down for the most part. MQT had a storm total of close to 10". 10-12" here but really hard to gauge properly but looks like a foot of new snow total. was pretty much the event of the Winter for me and a true blizzard with blizzard conditions lasting well over 12 hours. road closures, drifting, 40-50 mph winds, heavy snow, it had the works. final grade for this event is an A-.

season total stands around 167" which I expect wont climb a lot until the cold breaks and season begins to change and we can some wetter systems north.

current snow depth is ranging from 44-48" in my usual spots I check. some 5-6' spots too but mostly due to drifting and where I blow snow 25' off the driveway.

still snowing lightly with the occasional mod burst but winding down for the most part. MQT had a storm total of close to 10". 10-12" here but really hard to gauge properly but looks like a foot of new snow total. was pretty much the event of the Winter for me and a true blizzard with blizzard conditions lasting well over 12 hours. road closures, drifting, 40-50 mph winds, heavy snow, it had the works. final grade for this event is an A-.

season total stands around 167" which I expect wont climb a lot until the cold breaks and season begins to change and we can some wetter systems north.

current snow depth is ranging from 44-48" in my usual spots I check. some 5-6' spots too but mostly due to drifting and where I blow snow 25' off the driveway.

This is the 2nd straight winter where i have to be careful on where to measure snow depth due to so much snowblown/shoveled snow under layers of fresh snow. A problem I dont mind having :)

I would say about 15-16" OTG here.

Going with 13" for snow depth here though it looks deeper in a lot of spots, but some of that is contamination from some snowblown snow under layers of fresher snow. As said this is the 2nd straight winter I have had to venture off into different spots than my usual but its a problem I dont mind having though!

Such a pretty day today...but I have a cold so I will not be venturing into the tundra, as much as I want to. Cobalt blue sky, deep white snow....but I will be looking from the window today lol

Archived