• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Superbowl Snowstorm Thread Part 3

TugHillMatt

Wonderful morning AFD from DTX. Hits the high points and reasons well. Also notes the potential for flake fracture to possibly inhibit higher end totals.

Is "Flake Fracture" due to the friction between flakes creating heat as they move across the ground ?? I know from plowing a 1.5' drift will have a much different composition than the surrounding normal snow.

Such a fun event !! Cant wait to start stacking flakes with the loader!!!

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...everyone does need to keep in mind cant necessarily count on ratios...other than that...all is going great!

I never count on ratios but that being said just because it is windy doesn't mean we can't get great ratios ... i.e. Boston Blizzard had like 40-60 MPH winds and they still got 25:1 ratios.

I'm a little concerned, but not overly concerned yet, about the dryslot cutting through central IA right now on W/V imagery, which you can also see on the radar mosaic in southern IA. 

Still have SSE 850s and WAA snows but look to be transitioning towards the defo here now and mid-level lapse rates are steepening in N. MO near that dry slot, so returns should be rather persistent over NE IL for a while. Temp just under freezing here along the lake with a solid SN. 

LOT backed down on totals

Assuming that is additional as KLOT is already near what that shows. Everything looks on track for widespread 10-12 

I'm a little concerned, but not overly concerned yet, about the dryslot cutting through central IA right now on W/V imagery, which you can also see on the radar mosaic in southern IA.

Edit: Alek beat me to it. Spot on analysis.

Plotted DGZ (-12 to -18C RH) and then 700-300 mb RH on Euro, GFS and NAM. DGZ stays saturated along and north of I-80 in IL and IN, but dry slot does punch into areas south of there. Looks like there's drying above the DGZ on the 700-300 mb layer, probably above 500 mb, that does get farther north into IL, which could act to actually steepen lapse rates and lift in the deformation axis. Area of concern in IA and northern MO is already filling in with snow. Bottom line is, all systems go for deformation snows in northern IL along and north of I 80 after the heavy advection snows this AM.

A little over 9 inches and still coming down at a decent rate just east of Des Moines. Beautiful looking outside with the snow sticking to everything but also scary once the winds kick up. Already seeing branches laying on power lines.

Yeah, although it won't be like December 20, 2012.  The snow was extremely wet in nature and the winds gusted to 50 mph numerous times.  This snow is higher ratio than on December 20, 2012.

Got around 6.5 inches of snow so far.  Some of the branches are very low to the ground due to the weight of the snow.

Pouring sugar out there at a decent clip and it's just starting to blow a bit now, which tells me that it's now a drier snow and we're seeing some winds. I measured about 4.5" at 7:30 am. I turned on the snowcam now that we've got daylight. Many hours to go. I'll make the first pass with the snowblower down the long driveway a little later this morning, which you'll be able to clearly see on cam. I love these long-duration events.

Snowcam: http://ustre.am/16Txc

Yeah, although it won't be like December 20, 2012. The snow was extremely wet in nature and the winds gusted to 50 mph numerous times. This snow is higher ratio than on December 20, 2012.

Agreed, it won't be that bad. But I haven't seen a cakey snow of this amount since that.

MKE, RAC and ENW all reporting 1/2 mile visibility or less. Nice band setting up over Northern Milwaukee through Northern Dane County that's slowly sinking south.

Looks like it's thinning but the band in Kenosha County is spreading northward, would be nice to have a broader band spread through like that one.

Archived