Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Superbowl Snowstorm Thread Part 3

TugHillMatt

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like 40MPH gusts for my neck of the woods. I wonder if DTX will issue any blizzard warnings ....

Just my 2₵ worth... if it was my call, I'd pull the trigger on a BW and take whatever that brings, knowing that I erred on the side of humanity. As was said, it's not a "normal" Sunday and I'd make my best efforts to keep as many people out of this mess as I could. It would be far too easy for people to get stuck in a mess like this and perish a long, cold and miserable death from hypothermia or CO poisoning.

About to the point where I'd be kinda shocked if we don't get a blizzard warning. I'd guess Kane county and eastward for the lakeside counties

I'd consider doing from Porter to LaSalle and north. Tons of wide open spaces in the west and northwest CWA and winds look pretty hellacious out there too. Then for Lake and Porter, you'd have the frictionless winds right onto the shore.

I'd consider doing from Porter to LaSalle and north. Tons of wide open spaces in the west and northwest CWA and winds look pretty hellacious out there too. Then for Lake and Porter, you'd have the frictionless winds right onto the shore.

Do you think the "blowability" is any concern?  I mean, the longer temps stay around freezing, the less snow there would be to blow around.  Though I guess this may be less of a concern in the northern cwa.

Do you think the "blowability" is any concern? I mean, the longer temps stay around freezing, the less snow there would be to blow around. Though I guess this may be less of a concern in the northern cwa.

If things stayed like they are now, but we should get into improving ratios in the deformation. Also, wonder if the layer put down hardens a bit even and serves as a surface for the fluffier snow to blow along. Or maybe the wet snow now just dries out and everything gets unleashed this afternoon and evening lol.

As impressive as the latest snowfall rates are here, this is not even close to what we saw during GHD '11.  This is a much different setup compared to that one of course, so that's not a surprise.  Winds will eventually get pretty gusty, on the order of 35-45mph gusts, but during GHD '11 we had frequent gusts between 50-60mph.  Snowfall intensity is pretty impressive, but GHD '11 was way more intense in that regard.

Even though the end result could be very significant snowfall accumulation wise, the relative ferocity of this storm is not even close to GHD '11.  This is more of an long-duraton classic snowstorm to me, with some strong winds at the end of it for effect.

Archived