joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, when was the last time inside 48 hours, which we will be tonight, we had things trend our way. 1980?

I want to see the RGEM/NAM's amp this up tonight and ram it up our fannies tonight to believe any NW possibility. The GFS Op needs to show something tonight, not a complete whiff again.

The 4km NAM was fairly amped at 18z though.

It's why I'm always so skeptical about snow now. It's been a long time since we've had good trends leading right into a storm and then it met or exceeded expectations. The majority go the other way. This last event is a great example. The last model runs before the event gave many several inches of snow. And what happened? An inch of sleet? We forget how much has to align perfectly to get snow here and how easily any one factor can ruin it completely. We're really lucky that it ever actually does snow.

Still, I don't hate the setup. I think we get at least a couple of inches, which is a big win in my book. But I want the GFS to show something and the Canadian to come in too. The fact that we still have this kind of disagreement at this short lead when all the players are on the field and sampled is troubling. Hopefully, we can at least pretty much put the track to bed with the 0Zs tonight.

But yeah, if you don't recognize the fact that there is still much about this that can go wrong, then you're setting yourself up big time.

LOL at worrying about ground temps. BL temps might be concerning for some in that 33-35 and snow will cut down on accumulations and make ratios suck, but ground temps will be lower than we typically have during our winter storms.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a fairly uniform 2-4" across much of NC and Upstate SC with warmer BL temps and poor ratios in the S/E areas balancing the QPF imbalance off.

Just my thought on this, with even looking at the euro lastnight. There is nothing to suggest strengthening. Upper-Level dynamics suck. I think we may get some snow, but not to the magnitude some is suggesting. maybe around a inch or two for charlotte.  

and here's truly hoping you, and Jon, and Cold Rain, and Pack, and Frosty, and Buckeye and WOW and mackerel and .... everyone all get it!!!! Big time. Watching in anticipation!!!

LOL at worrying about ground temps. BL temps might be concerning for some in that 33-35 and snow will cut down on accumulations and make ratios suck, but ground temps will be lower than we typically have during our winter storms.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a fairly uniform 2-4" across much of NC and Upstate SC with warmer BL temps and poor ratios in the S/E areas balancing the QPF imbalance off.

2-4 inches? Yawn. Talk about boring. I'd rather have rain.

Archived