Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 5-6 Threat

WxMan1

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nam continues the trend of digging and an earlier phase. Heights ahead of the digging northern stream rise and try to aim that slug of moisture coming out of the GOM toward the mid atl. Develops a Low right off Cape Hatt, getting STJ involved somewhat would keep us away from the typical Miller B whiff. Trending better as we get closer for once.

Well its getting better every run. I have a good feeling about this one for some reason. When people aren't really paying attention is when it sneaks up. Sometimes.

Well it seems like the models have all been taking a crap inside of three days... why can't it work the other direction?  Except of course because of where we live...

The bigger issue with the nam is the precip that does fall is mostly rain. 

Temps in the upper 30s, but cold up above. This is why for this to work out we need a full/earlier phase. ATJ s/w phasing in would ensure tons of cold air to work with as the storm cranks up off the coast. Personally I like where we are headed with this if the trends continue.

For Philly and DC there is no confluence out ahead of the shortwave diving down so the BL would be quite warm. The only 2 ways this could be a snowstorm in my eyes is if the shortwave dove down SE of us and closed off which looks unlikely. Or the system remains very weak and we only get some frontal snows

The bigger issue with the nam is the precip that does fall is mostly rain. 

Which was something that was in the back of my mind when I began this threat the other day (again, apologies folks...but hey... at least we're not talking about a SLP crossing Orlando now!)  This is toward the end of my first post at the top of this thread:

"So a northward trend with the southern stream wave would not surprise me one bit over the coming days. (A rainstorm would however, though it shouldn't considering how this winter has gone)"

I mean, this crazy shift from cold/dry/suppressed to warm/wet seems to be the theme this winter.  One thing that has been a constant though -- this more recent storm was picked up quite well by the globals in the 6-7 day range, while the Feb 5-6 system was *also* picked up several days ago.  It's almost as if the medium range progs have a better handle on things than the models within 72 hours..

Archived