• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

cnn.com has a lead story about the storm. Not sure if it would be the international edition for you. Enjoy your vicarious lurking! Perhaps some day I'll do the same for one of your infamous windstorms.

We really do have no chance of ever having snow like this, we had a lot of snow in 2012 to be fair but nothing on this scale! I'm amazed in fact I think all us Brits are amazed at how well America does at keeping things going. Granted at the moment your a bit snowed in but over here the country grinds to a halt with an inch or two of snow.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bring this up for Ray and Ginxy and others that were up as we discussed Mike Seidel being in Plymouth last night.  I suggested if he wanted some even more dramatic footage he move down the road to Bert's.   At about the moment we were having this conversation...

Bert's is basically destroyed.  The Blizzard of 2015 finished what the Blizzard of 1978 started.   Mother nature is a cruel mistress.

I read your post about that last night and that is an interesting follow up story.

I expect there will be more life-changing and map-changing stories to come as dawn breaks after this storm.

And congrats on your analysis last night. I read every thought you posted and you turned out to be right on the money. Just like the old days at Wright Weather.

Don't do it for a month.  Don't want to overuse it St. Anthony.  

Only use it wisely.  That was like me and a girl I was dating for the 2012-2013 Winter.  When she was here, it sucked.  She'd leave and I'd predict a snowstorm.  The Blizzard happened when she Unexpectedly left.  Was unreal.        

Strange affinities…chaos strings etc. etc.

We really do have no chance of ever having snow like this, we had a lot of snow in 2012 to be fair but nothing on this scale! I'm amazed in fact I think all us Brits are amazed at how well America does at keeping things going. Granted at the moment your a bit snowed in but over here the country grinds to a halt with an inch or two of snow.

Roads are actually in remarkably good shape. Convoys of plows and backhoes moving through all day long. They have snow removal down to a science in Boston. Now, if we get hit again this weekend…then it could pose problems.

Roads are actually in remarkably good shape. Convoys of plows and backhoes moving through all day long. They have snow removal down to a science in Boston. Now, if we get hit again this weekend…then it could pose problems.

That's one thing I noticed; many other storms were smaller and roads were in much, much worse condition.

We'll get some of it but if you look at GYX radar things are movin east. Lovin this extra snow. Shoveled around 11. Pure fluff.

I've honestly thought that on a cpl separate occasions tonite, only to be fooled.

I wouldn't bet against this backin in  ...the usual radar trends are mute tonite lol

I would love to live over your way to be guaranteed snow each year and the cold! We only get dull, mild winters over here with a few cold snaps in between. The kind of dull grey days that depress you as there is no sunlight but drizzle. 

No guarantee it snows, or at least appreciably. In fact, winter was looking pretty awful until a few days ago, but over longer time horizons climatology is definitely favorable. Have had some pretty monumental snowstorms around here the past few decades. This one is right up there with the best of them. You guys have similar climate to the Pacific Northwest. Damp, overcast ocean influence.

Wow, I wonder if BOS might break the all time record with this? 27.5 inches?

Hoping someone can answer this for me...

How come the official record has to be broken/measured at the Airport? That seems like a hard place to get accurate measurements, especially with it essentially being a clean shot coming off the ocean.

Not to mention a trained spotter had South Boston at 29 inches, whereas the Airport has 23?

No guarantee it snows, or at least appreciably. In fact, winter was looking pretty awful until a few days ago, but over longer time horizons climatology is definitely favorable. Have had some pretty monumental snowstorms around here the past few decades. This one is right up there with the best of them. You guys have similar climate to the Pacific Northwest. Damp, overcast ocean influence.

Yeah its rubbish because we are surrounded by the sea. Ive been to Germany before and they have good snows :)

How come the official record has to be broken/measured at the Airport? That seems like a hard place to get accurate measurements, especially with it essentially being a clean shot coming off the ocean.

Not to mention a trained spotter had South Boston at 29 inches, whereas the Airport has 23?

I'm the source of that report of 29". I actually put 'airport too low as usual it appears' in the comments section when submitting the report.

Moderate snow again now. It just keeps going.

I had 30" at 11pm.

Agreed Cory,

Congrat's Will on your total, and YOUR number in the record books ;). I think Lowell got their all time record as well, but not certain. Maybe someone with connections to Prof. Colby can check, lol. But my unofficial total is up to 33" an while technically still accumulating, will probably be my final number. 

An all around epic storm!

Central Park messes up all the time too, and that's what the media runs with NYC getting. Most think the Friday storm was undermeasured there also.

Agreed Cory,

Congrat's Will on your total, and YOUR number in the record books ;). I think Lowell got their all time record as well, but not certain. Maybe someone with connections to Prof. Colby can check, lol. But my unofficial total is up to 33" an while technically still accumulating, will probably be my final number. 

What's your Compact number? I need One more date with a Band (I sound like an 18 year old whinny American girl) to get to my Illustrious 24", but my compacts are 11"-18". Really Really Low.

Agreed Cory,

I'll ask him next time I see him at school.

Archived