• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Chasing Spring/Summer 2015

Gilbertfly

I know it's super early...and I'm not even talking about discos of patterns and such.  More of a general thread if anybody is planning any chases....long term, medium term, and/or short term as we get into "the season."

I have not done any long range chases before in my life...all have been just imby where viewing can be decent.  I would like to give it a shot this year if suitable conditions and timeframes become available. 

So....perhaps, dates and target points as things progress

Still pending but I might be lucky enough to be part of the PECAN project in the Plains. Not exactly classic chasing, buuttttt.....

We were invited as well, but we have no idea how it'll work out since most students go on our own chases which of course are during pretty much the same time.

I'd love to get out there this year, but it'll probably have to be a setup that doesn't threaten the LOT CWA, because otherwise I'll probably have to work. Hopefully a few days in the Plains if things break right with off days or a day trip within range.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sounds great guys! Hopefully you can remember to make a post or 2 here as things progress if any more formal plans arise.

If a situation presents itself for me i will prolly run some thoughts/ideas through here to get some sounder advice...and also if anyone wants to meet up at some stage along the way.

I'd love to get out there this year, but it'll probably have to be a setup that doesn't threaten the LOT CWA, because otherwise I'll probably have to work. Hopefully a few days in the Plains if things break right with off days or a day trip within range.

Sent from my SM-G900V

You are kind of in the same boat I'm in. Being the Skywarn Coordinator for the county, I'm expected to be around, even if the main tornado threat is 150-200 miles away. If we get a legit regional threat, I may say screw it and head out.

Long trips are out due to my job obligations.

A friend of mine is now dating a storm chaser in the Oklahoma City area. This guy runs his own chasing business and said I could tag along. Hoping to meet up somewhere in KS or MO in May, pending the forecast obviously.

This would be my first time chasing. The only time I've seen a live tornado was stepping off the school bus in 1990 and watching the Plainfield F5 drop out of the sky from 10 mi away. That started my interest in wx.

Looking forward to this chase season to be sure.  Last decent season for me personally was back in '11, so I'm anxious for some high-contrast 'nader action.  My limiting factor is I need to give at least 48-72hrs notice at work if I want time off so it can be a bit difficult planning a chase out in the Plains during a work week.  

Another problem for me is my vacation refreshes on my job hire date, which is in August.  So by the time I get to Spring I'm usually down to only a week or so of vac left since I use up much of it during the Fall and Winter months lol.  So I need to rely on weekend chases, and try to save the last of my vac days for good chase days during the week.

A friend of mine is now dating a storm chaser in the Oklahoma City area. This guy runs his own chasing business and said I could tag along. Hoping to meet up somewhere in KS or MO in May, pending the forecast obviously.

This would be my first time chasing. The only time I've seen a live tornado was stepping off the school bus in 1990 and watching the Plainfield F5 drop out of the sky from 10 mi away. That started my interest in wx.

that would certainly do it....only thing close I have legit seen was a waterspout when I was in Cancun half in the bag.

please throw a post up here if anything comes to fruition with the KS/MO trip...hope you can make it out for your first chase....same boat for me

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody biting next week? Or still a bit early....?

I'm holding off for May/June personally, unless there's something fairly close.  I've been bitten by some early season chases the last few years, and held off on some of the later ones when I should have chased.  Of course every season is different.  If I had the money and time I'd chase every single setup there was lol.  

Anybody biting next week? Or still a bit early....?

Wednesday will be a legit chase day so I'm really leaning towards going, but I hate these middle of the week setups early in the year so I'm not 100% certain yet.  I'll decide tomorrow if I want to marathon it down there for this one and then I'd have to leave Tuesday night after work. 

Archived