joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential coastal storm 1/26-28

robertgny

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be a lot more excited if the Euro and ensembles followed up with another mega hit on this run (and I don't even live on LI anymore!!). Sometimes the Euro can have a hiccup run but if it follows up with a similar solution, it's very likely onto something, especially when we're so close in. It put 36" of snow into Trenton last run for crying out loud.

Let's not forget the euro brought this storm back during last nights 00z, today's 12z was its second consecutive run

I'd be a lot more excited if the Euro and ensembles followed up with another mega hit on this run (and I don't even live on LI anymore!!). Sometimes the Euro can have a hiccup run but if it follows up with a similar solution, it's very likely onto something, especially when we're so close in. It put 36" of snow into Trenton last run for crying out loud.

I don't even know if the 00z ECMWF can replicate what it had last run. It was just absolutely obscene with a 100 knot 850mb jet screaming into Long Island with a fire hydrant of moisture streaming directly into our sub-forum. At this point, I'd be happy to see it look a little better than the 00z GFS just so we can lock things down and start to issue Winter Storm Watches and some Blizzard Watches for the eastern burbs. 15:1 ratios and 1.2" of QPF is something that I'll never complain about, especially during this winter. 

UKMET is 10MM - 15MM (0.40 - 0.60) for nyc with a lot more in LI over 1.00+

PA_000-072_0000.gif

Probably the one foot line starts on the Nassau/Queens border, east of the William Floyd is easily 18-24". Temp profiles support over 10:1 ratios, but high wind can cut down on ratios somewhat. 12 or 15:1 are probably the best bet.

I think it's best we at least TRY to keep ourselves calm (tough for me to do) and exercise caution.....assuming most models do come to a consensus (which they have not yet.....they seem to be all or nothing.....with certain major models not looking too impressive) of 12-20" or so for all of us.....any slight shift or later development and shift just 25-50 miles E/NE with the heavy snow band could easily result in NJ/NYC being brought down to 3-6" or so.....Mostly all of SNE I would say is "secure" right now.....I know it's easy to get caught up in it, however, even some of the best mets in their discussions cannot deny that this is the type of system that will rob some area bigtime (in other words showing 12"+ 48 hours before the storm, just to bring it down to a much lesser snow event. We've seen it happen before when we're on the edge of a MAJOR snow event.....just outside of that band is a significant snow event that someone will get left with....CHEERS to all and lets get that Euro going

Yes "TRY" is the operative word. I think I got sucked in with today's 12Z EURO. I gotta admit, I love the enthusiasm on this board with the "mother of G-d" posts, etc. It's amazing how we almost get a blizzard every year now. Where was all this snow when I was growing up? Lol.

The GEFS is 1.5. The GGEM is 2.5 if the EURO goes back to its 2 plus like it did at 12z just throw the other modeling in the garbage

They are just noise.

You could be looking at a record setting storm at KNYC

Ehh, 26.9" at Central Park with the zookeeper is a really tough hill to climb. 

You guys have to keep expectations in check until the storm's actually here. Boxing Day and Feb 2006 were supposed to have their heaviest totals over Long Island and New England even the day of the storms, but ended up having best totals well west of there, and places that were supposed to jackpot got dryslotted. Lots and lots of intracacies to be worked out. 

Ok lets rehash what happened in the last 24 hours... yesterday's 00z UKMET and Euro were the first indicators that something was afoot. This occurred pretty much when the North American radiosonde network was properly sampling the leading shortwave. This feature is now in the process of droping into the central US.

The second shortwave is now making landfall along the west coast of British Columbia. This feature will probably be better sampled by the 12z observations. This feature is important because the degree of phasing between this shortwave and the primary shortwave digging into the eastern US will govern the explosive cyclogenesis now forecast to occur. How well this second feature is sample the next 24 hours is important. Its likely that a lot of this remaining forecast uncertainty (which seems to be confirmed by the spread in the deterministic guidance and EC ensembles) is likely coming from this second piece. 

Ehh, 26.9" at Central Park with the zookeeper is a really tough hill to climb. 

You guys have to keep expectations in check until the storm's actually here. Boxing Day and Feb 2006 were supposed to have their heaviest totals over Long Island and New England even the day of the storms, but ended up having best totals well west of there, and places that were supposed to jackpot got dryslotted. Lots and lots of intracacies to be worked out.

When you start spitting out 1.5 to 2.5 at 12 to 1 its in sight .

True, but it's not like the EURO is on it's own. When the GFS and GGM have also followed suit. We will know soon enough. I didn't want to stay up for the EURO, but might as well at this point! This hobby umm I mean addiction is just not good for my sleep schedule. I'm sure TX has other great things going for it although snow isn't one of them.

Archived