Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty envious of those guys down south. Getting 6-10 inches with temperatures in the teens followed by another arctic outbreak, that is like my ideal setup. Sucks we are missing some better snows by 100 miles.

Wednesday looks to be our next threat for a light snowfall with the next surge from the arctic, Next shot at something bigger looks to be this weekend. Hopefully we can cash in before this pattern breaks down. Our best bet might be to time something as the trough axis starts shifting west so it cuts inland. Some hints this brutal cold pattern breaks down for the start of March.

We just booked a trip to Niagara Falls for the first week of March. Hoping to see the falls frozen so I'm sure we will get some mega torch just prior to ruin it or our area will be bullseyed for a 93 redux. :lmao:

Column saturated here within the last hour, but to say it is "snowing" would probably be generous as of yet.  More of a misting.  Any more than 3" from this and I'll be surprised.

A friend just texted me and said it's coming down good (works at Ruby).

Latest snowfall map from PBZ....

10388082_720992287998857_402282042619567

I just looked up Boston's total for the season. They're up to 95.7" now on the season. Is that a record for them? That's just unreal. All we want is one big storm and they've been getting them left and right. We need to move Pittsburgh closer to the ocean. ;)

They were just talking on the Weather Channel.  I think they said they're an inch away from their record.  At least I assume that's what they were talking about.  

Also..  light snow has begun here.

I just looked up Boston's total for the season. They're up to 95.7" now on the season. Is that a record for them? That's just unreal. All we want is one big storm and they've been getting them left and right. We need to move Pittsburgh closer to the ocean. ;)

I have been living in Pittsburgh my whole life and following weather since the 70's. It is what it is. We will always get 35-60 inches per year mostly of the nickel and dime variety. 1-2 and 2-4 here and there. In the 70's I remember a few big ones in the 70's. A bunch in the 90's. A few in the early 2000's. If you like snow, we are in a good position to get snow in the air much of the winter. If you want big 10+ inches of snow they will come every 5 years or so and usually end up being a surprise. As I get older I still like tracking the storms but I am starting to enjoy tracking Thunderstorms more in the spring and summer because they are more likely to happen. This is made worse because of weather boards today because we get to see everyone in other areas talking about their storm. When I was young Western Pa was all I had. 

Let's hope we can still get one big storm this year. If not, oh well we will have to wait til next year. If that happens I will enjoy the Spring and Summer Severe outbreaks.

I am putting the detour sign up for the remainder of the year. Just in case  ;)

I think the problem everyone is having is the fact that this year is playing out similar to last year. We just cant seem to be in the sweet spot for the big snows. We all know what our climo is and we can't expect an 8 inch snow storm every month, but it started in late novmeber when within 2 days we went from 3-5 to slop. Then december was a torch. Jan comes and the only storm goes north after looking like an awesome hit. Now this current storm stays south. The only reason we got a decent storm was from my understanding an inverted trough. It was a fluke and we got lucky. I just have a feeling that in march we will get a bowling ball storm that gives us warning criteria snow, similar to the one a few years back. I think if we got one 8-12 storm we would all call this an awesome winter.

I saw yesterday they are at #3 for all time.  They are an inch or so away from the #2 spot on their record list.  About 11" from #1.  I actually expect they'll break the top record this year with half of Feb and March to go.  Unreal they got 7 feet of snow in three weeks.  I'd love it, honestly, but I think most people really don't like that much snow.

Still light snow here, very small flakes.  It has been a fine mist with no more than a dusting since 1:30.  I'm on the north side so it is possible the south side of town is doing better, say Westover or areas around I-68.

FWIW flakage has begun here.

If that band of precip in central oh could expand a bit as it moves east, we a least have a chance at 3" for the metro.

Still waiting for the flakes to start flying here. Looks like its right on the door step, just making very slow progress North. Yesterday I set my expectations at 2 inches so hopefully I can hit that. That band in OH does look decent, hope it holds together.

Nice video. It would be awesome to get a big storm that had conditions like that for several hours.

Move to Boston lol.

Honestly, even our big storms, we max out at about 2 inches per hour, and that is a short time frame. Even at the height of March 93, I think we were at about 2 per hour. The northeast storms seem to consistently have stretches with 2-3 per hour rates. I'm guessing just the dynamics of an exploding coastal and moisture fetch off the Gulf Stream make that possible.

Move to Boston lol.

Honestly, even our big storms, we max out at about 2 inches per hour, and that is a short time frame. Even at the height of March 93, I think we were at about 2 per hour. The northeast storms seem to consistently have stretches with 2-3 per hour rates. I'm guessing just the dynamics of an exploding coastal and moisture fetch off the Gulf Stream make that possible.

In 93 we definitely got 4-5 inch per hour rates for a couple of hours as I recall.  We ended up with 27 inches in Bethel for 93.  I remember it being later in the day between say 3-6 pm.

With that squall Saturday I got 3 inches in an hour. 

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

655 PM EST MON FEB 16 2015

OHZ049-050-058-059-PAZ021-029-073-074-076-WVZ002>004-170100-

ALLEGHENY PA-BELMONT OH-BROOKE WV-FAYETTE RIDGES PA-GUERNSEY OH-

HARRISON OH-JEFFERSON OH-MARSHALL WV-OHIO WV-WASHINGTON PA-

WESTMORELAND PA-WESTMORELAND RIDGES PA-

655 PM EST MON FEB 16 2015

...A BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT BROOKE...EXTREME EAST

CENTRAL GUERNSEY...EXTREME NORTHEASTERN FAYETTE...NORTHEASTERN

MARSHALL...NORTHERN BELMONT...OHIO...SOUTHERN ALLEGHENY...SOUTHERN

HARRISON...SOUTHERN JEFFERSON...WASHINGTON AND WESTMORELAND

COUNTIES...

SNOW WILL RAPIDLY DROP VISIBILITY TO ONE MILE OR LESS. ROADS MAY QUICKLY

BECOME SNOW-COVERED AND SLICK.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

MINGO JUNCTION... CADIZ... ST. CLAIRSVILLE...

MARTINS FERRY... BELLAIRE... BARNESVILLE...

WELLSBURG... HOOVERSON HEIGHTS... FOLLANSBEE...

WHEELING... BETHLEHEM... WASHINGTON...

PLEASE REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER BY POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH

FACEBOOK PAGE OR BY USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.

LAT...LON 4011 7942 4010 7950 4015 7948 4011 7955

4009 7965 4013 7974 4013 7988 4010 7984

4008 7985 4007 7990 3995 8124 4027 8123

4048 7951 4032 7928

$$

Archived