Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad, I'd like to get rid of all of those ones under the mean. :)  Nice surprise to see models jump on building up the first wave rather than the second one. Anyways, barring a South shift Jwilson and Mailman look to be in a good spot. Hopefully we can get this thing another 100 miles north.

NAM not going to get it done at 12z for those North of the M/D line. Hopefully its still playing catch up to the Euro.

Yes NAM did come North ever so slightly but not enough. The key will be GFS, GGEM, and Euro. If they continue North we may be okay. I still think this will be a fringe storm for those of us in the North. 

Currently sitting at -1 degrees. Got down to -4 sometime early this morning.

I just compared 00z at 60, 6z at 54 and 12z at 48 and you can see a subtle creeping North of the precip shield on the GFS. If that continues then we might find ourselves in a 3-5 inch swath across AGC. Right now its more like 1-3 on the GFS but its going to be damn cold. I'd love to cash in on a 4-6 inch storm with temps in the upper teens. Past performance doesn't necessarily determine future outcomes, but the last couple of storms seemed to creep North all the way up to the start of the storm but in those cases it was bad for us, fingers crossed over the next 4-6 runs we see it bump 25-50 miles north with each one.

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1154 AM EST SUN FEB 15 2015

VALID FEB 15/1200 UTC THRU FEB 19/0000 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

12Z NAM/GFS EVALUATION...INCLUDING PRELIMINARY PREFERENCES

LOOKING AT THE 500 MB SHORTWAVE FORECAST TO BE TRACK FROM THE FOUR

CORNERS TO THE TX/OK PANHANDLES TONIGHT...THE 12Z NAM/GFS ARE A

BIT FLATTER THAN EVEN SHORT TERM FORECASTS FROM THE 00Z

NMM/ARW...13Z HRRR...14Z RAP. HOWEVER...THESE SHORT TERM MODELS

SUPPORT A 00Z ECMWF/UKMET BLEND THROUGH THE BEGINNING OF THE DAY 1

PERIOD. **ALL** OF THE DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED SHARPER

WITH THIS FEATURE SINCE YESTERDAY...AND MAY STILL BE TRYING TO

CATCH UP TO CURRENT OBSERVATIONS.

DUE TO THE CHANGES SEEN AND TRENDS...WE WILL BE LEANING TOWARD THE

MORE AMPLIFIED CAMP...BEST SUPPORTED BY THE 00Z

ECMWF/UKMET...WHICH IS AGREED UPON BY THE 00Z ECMWF MEAN.

CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW GIVEN THE INSTABILITY IN THE MODELS AND

SIGNIFICANT RUN TO RUN CHANGES.

WVZ012-021-022-160500-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0003.150216T1800Z-150217T0900Z/
/O.CON.KPBZ.WC.Y.0007.000000T0000Z-150216T1500Z/
WETZEL-MARION-MONONGALIA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW MARTINSVILLE...FAIRMONT...
MORGANTOWN
351 PM EST SUN FEB 15 2015

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST MONDAY...
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE MONDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE MONDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR UP TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW MONDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE MONDAY NIGHT.

* WIND CHILL...AS LOW AS 15 BELOW THIS AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT DUE
TO A COMBINATION OF SUBZERO TO SINGLE DIGIT TEMPERATURES AND
WIND 10 TO 20 MPH.

* IMPACTS...FROST BITE AND HYPOTHERMIA ARE POSSIBLE IF PRECAUTIONS
ARE NOT TAKEN. ON MONDAY...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED DUE TO REDUCED VISIBILITY AND SNOW ACCUMULATION.

Well this is disappointing.  Figures when we need the north trend we can't get it.  Looks like there may be places in Kentucky/WV/VA that get more snow in one storm than most of us have had all season.  Maybe we can get another storm to hit us in the middle come later this month?

That said I guess I can't complain too much considering the rain threat won't exist here.

Dry air is a real concern at the start of the precip.  I've seen these types of events many times before and twenty miles can mean the difference between 6" and a dusting.  No significant shift north at this point, so we're all largely out of the game.  Beggars can't be choosers ...meh.  I feel like I should be less disappointed with this but I'm not.

post-397-0-82802500-1424052979.gif

Could just be the NAM's wet bias in play, but no better than the GFS for our area despite a stronger low.  Figured it would come more north, but really it didn't.  Looks like 1-5" is a safe call region-wide.

So close but so far away. I thought if we were going to see any meaningful expansion of the precip shield it would be at 00z. So far the NAM is pretty disappointing in that department. Can't complain really about 2-4 inches when 24 hours ago it was going to be partly cloudy. Would be nice to see that .5 qpf line make it to i70 at least since the folks in the Southern end of the region have been screwed more often this season than those not much further North.

So close but so far away. I thought if we were going to see any meaningful expansion of the precip shield it would be at 00z. So far the NAM is pretty disappointing in that department. Can't complain really about 2-4 inches when 24 hours ago it was going to be partly cloudy. Would be nice to see that .5 qpf line make it to i70 at least since the folks in the Southern end of the region have been screwed more often this season than those not much further North.

It looks like, as usual, the northern trend stopped. When we need it to keep on going it doesn't but when we want it to stop it doesn't like last week. Not only will we get 1-2 inches but it will come overnight which I can not stand. First of all I don't see it snow but then I have to shovel it in the morning. Don't get me wrong, some of these southern areas deserve some snow but not giving Louisville 10-15 inches while we have to wait 5 years for a storm like that. #Tiredofnickelanddimestorms :axe:

This should probably be in the banter thread but that fills up faster than this one.

Currently -4.

It looks like, as usual, the northern trend stopped. When we need it to keep on going it doesn't but when we want it to stop it doesn't like last week. Not only will we get 1-2 inches but it will come overnight which I can not stand. First of all I don't see it snow but then I have to shovel it in the morning. Don't get me wrong, some of these southern areas deserve some snow but not giving Louisville 10-15 inches while we have to wait 5 years for a storm like that. #Tiredofnickelanddimestorms :axe:

This should probably be in the banter thread but that fills up faster than this one.

Currently -4.

I hear ya on all of that. I knew once this thing trended so far south it wasn't coming back north far enough to give us anything significant. Just another fringe job. We get fringe jobs from all directions. As snow enthusiasts, we keep on pressing on in hopes for a big storm. The best we can do is a moderate one every once in a while, like this last one. I got about 4 inches from this last one and 5 from the other one we had. Better than last year for sure, but not the big storm we all want to see that others seem to keep getting, OK, my rant is over now too. Sometimes, you have to vent. I'm at -4 also right now, btw.

Archived