Newest Member
    CHSVol
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 products issued by NWS for: 3 Miles WSW Crescent PA

Special Weather Statement
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA1203 PM EST WED FEB 18 2015OHZ041-050-PAZ007-008-013-014-020-021-029-WVZ001>003-181800-ALLEGHENY PA-BEAVER PA-BROOKE WV-BUTLER PA-COLUMBIANA OH-HANCOCK WV-JEFFERSON OH-LAWRENCE PA-MERCER PA-OHIO WV-VENANGO PA-WASHINGTON PA-1203 PM EST WED FEB 18 2015...A SNOW SQUALL WILL AFFECT BEAVER...BROOKE...EASTERN MERCER...HANCOCK...LAWRENCE...NORTHERN OHIO...NORTHWESTERN ALLEGHENY...SOUTHEASTERN COLUMBIANA...SOUTHEASTERN JEFFERSON...SOUTHWESTERNVENANGO...WESTERN BUTLER AND WESTERN WASHINGTON COUNTIES...AT 1154 AM EST...A SNOW SQUALL WAS ALONG A LINE FROM 11 MILES NORTHOF GROVE CITY TO WELLSBURG...MOVING EAST AT 10 MPH.THIS SNOW SQUALL WILL RAPIDLY DROP VISIBILITY TO LESS THAN A QUARTEROF A MILE. ROADS MAY QUICKLY BECOME SNOW-COVERED AND SLICK.  LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  TORONTO...            NEW CASTLE...         OHIOVILLE...  MIDLAND...            STEUBENVILLE...       MINGO JUNCTION...  EAST LIVERPOOL...     CHESTER...            FOLLANSBEE...  WEIRTON...            WELLSBURG...          HOOVERSON HEIGHTS...  HIGHWAYS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  I-376 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 31 AND 61.  I-70 IN PENNSYLVANIA BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 1 AND 14.  I-79 IN PENNSYLVANIA BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 63 AND 131.  I-76 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 5 AND 32.  I-80 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 12 AND 40.PLEASE REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER BY POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGHFACEBOOK PAGE OR BY USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.LAT...LON 4130 7970 4006 8033 4014 8071 4016 8070      4016 8081 4141 8018$$

Sampling schedule for the weekend storm.

The leading wave responsible for widespread WAA snows on Friday will move onshore in time for 00z runs tonight. The main system's energy appears to be partially sampled by tomorrows 00z runs and fully sampled by Friday's 12z runs. As is usually the case the southern stream energy appears to track through northern Mexico so it could remain unsampled until ~12z Saturday.

What is he seeing differently than what every model is showing?

45]

https://twitter.com/ryanmaue

Ryan‏@RyanMaue 8m Brief warm-up for day ahead of next Winter storm thru Ohio Valley this weekend. Heavy snow Toronto, Pittsburgh
This is going to be another one of our infamous slopstorms. I'm going to the Pens game on Sunday, so I'm actually kind of hoping things aren't that bad by then. I have a wife and mother-in-law who like to be a nervous wreck over everything. I can imagine how they'll be driving down there in snow.

I don't understand how if that low is tracking so far west how we see that much snow. Is it because it will take awhile to push out the arctic air? I wish he would respond to the pittsburghers who commented on the tweet he made.

I'm not sure, my guess is that it has some precip out ahead of the main system so we get a big thump before WAA can scour all the cold out. Here is another snow map that is probably more accurate. I think that WxBell Map just assumes all precip is the same type so it has inflated totals in mix situations.

post-14-0-17873000-1424284901.jpg

This is going to be another one of our infamous slopstorms. I'm going to the Pens game on Sunday, so I'm actually kind of hoping things aren't that bad by then. I have a wife and mother-in-law who like to be a nervous wreck over everything. I can imagine how they'll be driving down there in snow.

Put an APB out for a player formerly know as Sidney Crosby...

I would rather have slop than pure rain.   Hopefully we some changes for the good on the overnight runs.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

207 PM EST WED FEB 18 2015

PAZ015-016-021>023-029-031-073>076-182030-

ALLEGHENY PA-ARMSTRONG PA-CLARION PA-FAYETTE PA-FAYETTE RIDGES PA-

GREENE PA-INDIANA PA-JEFFERSON PA-WASHINGTON PA-WESTMORELAND PA-

WESTMORELAND RIDGES PA-

207 PM EST WED FEB 18 2015

...SNOW SHOWERS WILL AFFECT ARMSTRONG...EASTERN GREENE...FAYETTE...

INDIANA...SOUTHEASTERN ALLEGHENY...SOUTHEASTERN CLARION...

SOUTHEASTERN WASHINGTON...SOUTHERN JEFFERSON AND WESTMORELAND

COUNTIES...

AT 201 PM EST...SNOW SHOWERS WERE ALONG A LINE FROM 10 MILES

NORTHEAST OF KITTANNING TO WAYNESBURG...MOVING EAST AT 15 MPH.

VISIBILITY WILL BRIEFLY DROP TO NEAR ZERO ALONG THIS LINE AND A

QUICK HALF...TO ONE INCH OF ACCUMULATION CAN BE EXPECTED. THESE

SNOW SHOWERS ARE OCCURRING ALONG AN ADVANCING COLD FRONT. RAPID

IMPROVEMENT CAN ALSO BE EXPECTED WITH PASSAGE OF THE FRONT.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

WAYNESBURG... WILKINS TOWNSHIP... TURTLE CREEK...

PORT VUE... PLUM... PITCAIRN...

NORTH VERSAILLES... MUNICIPALITY OF MONROEVILLE...

MCKEESPORT... JEFFERSON... GLASSPORT...

DUQUESNE...

PLEASE REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER BY POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH

FACEBOOK PAGE OR BY USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.

LAT...LON 3974 7956 3973 8037 4106 7932 4106 7880

4077 7880

$$

I don't know if any of you go on accuwx forums but it seems like some well respected posters who work for weather offices think the outright cutter scenario is unlikely. We shall see but if you guys get a chance, check out the plains storm thread and read their thoughts. Off to school now. Hopefully the ensembles are better.

I don't know if any of you go on accuwx forums but it seems like some well respected posters who work for weather offices think the outright cutter scenario is unlikely. We shall see but if you guys get a chance, check out the plains storm thread and read their thoughts. Off to school now. Hopefully the ensembles are better.

There are no well respected posters on those torus, just uber weenies.

Archived