• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

Trends should be the theme this winter. And if we got anything in our favor we have a trend south or colder via noaa. Hopefully it continues slightly. Weather channel going on 8-12 and jinxing us. I'm ready to call them to say put em rain up on there map for west pa. The weather channel and the warm toungue of death should be in dictionary.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that model guidance should be taken as exact, but there is no model out there to support what our NWS office is saying.  I am thinking they will have to adjust after the 12z suite is complete.  At least to a 2-4 or 3-5 forecast for the general pittsburgh area

I will absolutely throw out the absurd nam solution, but the gfs, both nams, and the Canadian all support somewhere between a 4-8 type storm, as did the euro last night.

I feel comfortable in saying 4-8 as a first call.

Not that model guidance should be taken as exact, but there is no model out there to support what our NWS office is saying.  I am thinking they will have to adjust after the 12z suite is complete.  At least to a 2-4 or 3-5 forecast for the general pittsburgh area

It's probably an old forecast. I bet when they update it won't be saying 1-3.

This looks like a moderate event to me.  Models show the synoptic lift but not the better frontogenesis to support heavy precip.  After 18z Sat snow should become wet at PIT...p-type still could very well be snow but it will be wetter, partially melted, more compacted on the ground probably.  ATTM am thinking snowfall totals of 3-6" for the PIT metro area.  Roads may be OK in the afternoon due to Feb. sun+air temps 32-34F.

Anyone know when the NWS is going to update their discussion? There hasn't been an update since this morning.

I did see this article concerning a parking ban in Youngstown this weekend for snow amounts over 4", so I'm guessing we are getting at least that much.

http://wkbn.com/2015/02/20/youngstown-to-declare-snow-emergency-parking-ban/

Doesn't sound like NWS is going  to issue any advisories based on 12z suite.  Sounds like they are saying ignore all of the models showing more than 3 inches.  They must still think 3 is the max.

<<<< Winter Weather This Weekend >>>>

Please keep in mind you will be hearing snow amounts from various sources. We wanted to make sure you are aware of what our definitions are for winter weather headlines and proper use of social media ahead of a winter event. We will post our snow amounts here and onweather.gov/pittsburgh

National Weather Service Pittsburgh Definitions:

Winter Weather Advisory 3" of snow or greater in 12 hours
Winter Storm Warning 6" or more of snow 12 hours or 8" or more in 24 hours
Winter Storm WATCH, 50% chance of meeting winter storm warning snow amounts.

Just got a Winter Storm Warning text for Lawrence County until 10 PM tomorrow.

Looks like most of the area has a WSW-enjoy it!

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=PAZ013&warncounty=PAC073&firewxzone=PAZ013&local_place1=Enon%20Valley%20PA&product1=Winter+Storm+Warning&lat=40.8558&lon=-80.4574#.VOePoS6rWT8

Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA245 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2015PAZ007>009-013>016-020>023-029-073-075-WVZ001>003-210345-/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.W.0005.150221T1100Z-150222T0300Z/MERCER-VENANGO-FOREST-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GROVE CITY...FRANKLIN...TIONESTA...NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...CLARION...BROOKVILLE...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...INDIANA...WASHINGTON...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...UNIONTOWN...WEIRTON...BETHANY...WHEELING245 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2015...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 10 PM ESTSATURDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 10 PMEST SATURDAY.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES.* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW/ICE...MID MORNING TO MID AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW  ACCUMULATION.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW MEANS THAT HEAVY SNOWFALL WILLMAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUT AT ALL...USEEXTREME CAUTION. REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHERSERVICE BY CALLING...412-262-1988...POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGHFACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.

2 products issued by NWS for: Penn Hills PA

Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA245 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2015PAZ007>009-013>016-020>023-029-073-075-WVZ001>003-210345-/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.W.0005.150221T1100Z-150222T0300Z/MERCER-VENANGO-FOREST-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GROVE CITY...FRANKLIN...TIONESTA...NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...CLARION...BROOKVILLE...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...INDIANA...WASHINGTON...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...UNIONTOWN...WEIRTON...BETHANY...WHEELING245 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2015...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 10 PM ESTSATURDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 10 PMEST SATURDAY.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES.* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW/ICE...MID MORNING TO MID AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW  ACCUMULATION.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW MEANS THAT HEAVY SNOWFALL WILLMAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUT AT ALL...USEEXTREME CAUTION. REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHERSERVICE BY CALLING...412-262-1988...POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGHFACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.&&$$

Welp, Warning is up for the entire Pittsburgh zone. So much for those 1-3 predictions.

I posted what my NWS Text forecast stated, like I said you have a issue call out the NWS, that is why I included a screen shot. so when you did start to call me names or run to the mods like you do everytime someone disagrees or doesn't post what you want to read you would understand where i got that info from.

I'm happy we are going to get pounded. I will be up at Blue Knob boarding with my wife and kids, have fun reporting on this from your bedroom :)

peace

Archived