Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be surprised if I see more than an inch out of this judging from radar. Looks like that heavier band is going to pass just to my South.

Yeah looks like it is just south of the metro also. Im guessing an inch if we are lucky. Oh well we are used to disappointment.

Move to Boston lol.

Honestly, even our big storms, we max out at about 2 inches per hour, and that is a short time frame. Even at the height of March 93, I think we were at about 2 per hour. The northeast storms seem to consistently have stretches with 2-3 per hour rates. I'm guessing just the dynamics of an exploding coastal and moisture fetch off the Gulf Stream make that possible.

Nah - we were hammering 3" per 3 hours in a row in '93, and had 4" per hour rates in '94. So it can happen. Just not often

Missing that heavier band to the north; have had some dry-slotting issues but it hasn't actually stopped snowing, just not very heavy stuff.  Looks like it is the disconnect as the low redevelops off the coast?  We may end up with lesser amounts than Washington county.  I would just laugh, honestly.

Yeah looks like it is just south of the metro also. Im guessing an inch if we are lucky. Oh well we are used to disappointment.

Not that any of us had had a really big event but thus far its been like an I-70 North winter for a lot of events. Given that I'll take a little less so those guys can play some catch up. Hope those EPS maps you posted earlier are good.

Measured 2.5" total.  Had 1.5" at around 10:30 last night, so another inch once the rest of the bands rolled through.  I heard Washington measured 3" around the same time last night, so looks like they were the winners because of that big band.  We had dry slotting issues.  At least WVU beat Kansas.

Overall I'd say it was a partial bust only because I wasn't really expecting less than three inches.  Even though it snowed for ~12 hours, the clipper from early January put down just about the same amount of snow in a third of the time.  This must not be our year.

I think if we are gonna score a big storm its gonna be within the next two weeks. Gfs doesn't like the sunday storm, but the CMC does. Also the CMC shows our fabled APP runner for next week.

qSQ6h6i.png

A lot to track and with there being no end in sight in the next two weeks. I think we can score something noteworthy.

One more thing before I head to class. Tomorrow looks interesting. The energy in the trough is rotating around and going negative. Bernie explains it well in his video. Maybe able to squeak out 2-3 tomorrow.

http://videowall.accuweather.com/detail/videos/current-weather-news/video/3901417444001/cold-additional-storms-to-imp?autoStart=true

One more thing before I head to class. Tomorrow looks interesting. The energy in the trough is rotating around and going negative. Bernie explains it well in his video. Maybe able to squeak out 2-3 tomorrow.

http://videowall.accuweather.com/detail/videos/current-weather-news/video/3901417444001/cold-additional-storms-to-imp?autoStart=true

Hopefully it does over performs for Pgh as he indicates.  He also likes Pgh for the weekend storm.

Crap. Another 2 to 4 inches? Where did this come from? I don't see any advisories.

Cause our climo is nickel-and-dime-o!

Actually it's the passage of the arctic frontal boundary; evidently it may go negatively tilted to create a sort of super clipper.  If 3" verifies down here that would be our biggest storm of the season.  Not sure about advisories - maybe they were holding off until the 0Z model runs.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

1014 AM EST WED FEB 18 2015

PAZ014-015-021-022-029-073-WVZ002-181615-

ALLEGHENY PA-ARMSTRONG PA-BROOKE WV-BUTLER PA-CLARION PA-

WASHINGTON PA-WESTMORELAND PA-

1014 AM EST WED FEB 18 2015

...SNOW SHOWERS WILL AFFECT ALLEGHENY...ARMSTRONG...BUTLER...EAST

CENTRAL BROOKE...NORTHERN WASHINGTON...NORTHWESTERN WESTMORELAND AND

SOUTHERN CLARION COUNTIES...

AT 1008 AM EST...SNOW SHOWERS WERE ALONG A LINE FROM MERIDIAN TO

MCCANDLESS TOWNSHIP TO 8 MILES EAST OF WEIRTON...MOVING NORTHEAST AT

30 MPH.

THESE SNOW SHOWERS WILL RAPIDLY DROP VISIBILITY AND DROP A QUICK

HALF TO ONE INCH OF SNOW WITH PASSAGE.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

MERIDIAN... FRANKLIN PARK... CORAOPOLIS...

MCCANDLESS TOWNSHIP... HOMEACRE-LYNDORA...

SHANOR-NORTHVUE... IMPERIAL-ENLOW... BUTLER...

HAMPTON TOWNSHIP... BRIDGEVILLE... UPPER ST. CLAIR...

ROBINSON TOWNSHIP...

PLEASE REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER BY POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH

FACEBOOK PAGE OR BY USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.

LAT...LON 4120 7927 4080 7936 4027 7964 4030 8058

4056 8012 4096 8004

$$

Archived