Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 12-14 Minor Ice and Snow Disco/Obs

Bob Chill

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't decide whether this has the bust smell or the coup smell

I don't feel that strongly one way or another either. I'd have rather seen the euro not tick down but it's not critical maybe.

Yeah...12z Euro isn't the game decider here. If 0z Euro still shows dry, then yeah....bail out.

As good as the euro is in the 36-72 hour range, it is kind of irrelevant at this point...It isn't going to get nuanced cutoffs and QPF exactly right.....as much as I am lukewarm about the NAM...NAM/RGEM is probably the way to go right now...

As good as the euro is in the 36-72 hour range, it is kind of irrelevant at this point...It isn't going to get nuanced cutoffs and QPF exactly right.....as much as I am lukewarm about the NAM...NAM/RGEM is probably the way to go right now...

no more irrelevant than any other single piece of guidance -- i know it's kinda convenient in this case to throw out the global models in the short range but the resolution of the euro isn't much different than the NAM so that doesn't hold the same weight as it did 5 years ago. 

Wakefield says most models overdone and too far north except GFS.. Oh they love their GFS. They don't seem to want to change or update their advisories. 

ARCTIC COLD FRONT
(CURRENTLY AROUND 150-200 MILES OFF THE CAROLINA COAST) CONTINUING
TO GRADUALLY PUSH ESE TODAY THROUGH WED. BASED ON THIS SCENARIO...
MODEL PRECIP COVERAGE/QPF IS LIKELY OVERDONE IN REGARD TO HOW FAR
NORTH AND WEST THE PLACEMENT IS. LATEST WPC QPF ANALYSIS KEEPS
BEST LIQUID PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS WITHIN THE CURRENT WINTER WX
ADVISORY AREAS. ..WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE

12Z GFS MODEL SOLUTION BEFORE MAKING ADDITIONAL ADJUSTMENTS TO
THE CURRENT FORECAST.

no more irrelevant than any other single piece of guidance -- i know it's kinda convenient in this case to throw out the global models in the short range but the resolution of the euro isn't much different than the NAM so that doesn't hold the same weight as it did 5 years ago. 

good point....perhaps it is misguided, but as much as I hug the euro the whole time leading up to an event, I have never put much stock in that final euro run before the event other than the general idea since we usually only get one run within 24 hours of the event .  In terms of getting nuanced cutoffs or precise QPF, I don't weight it very much.  But you're right..it is a piece of guidance that needs to be folded in

Archived