joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/20 Pre Grinch Mood Snows

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS advertises a weak system passing SE of BM with advisory type snows for most.  Marginal in southern areas.

I'd hit a nice advisory event refresher.  Spitting out around 0.4" in 24/hrs at MVL on that 12z GFS with a SE low level flow.  Very similar to the 00z EURO last night in that more widespread light event.

There's no mechanism to cool us off though on the GFS, it's a weak system in a stale airmass, no surprise that it's warm at the surface. I know the GFS sucks with BL temps, but it's not alone, every single model as of right now is too warm for accumulating snow in most of SNE. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this light stuff is going to cut it, need to get the dynamics, bombing and connection to the high back like we had a couple days ago on the EURO to allow for a colder solution. Otherwise, you're going to end up with light rain/non accumulating snow IMO. If it was January 20th instead of December 20th or we had a better airmass, I'd feel differently, but I don't see a GFS like solution working for SNE if you're trying to get snow out of it unless we see a substantial trend cooler on all guidance(Which is possible, but unlikely.). 

I'd hit a nice advisory event refresher.  Spitting out around 0.4" in 24/hrs at MVL on that 12z GFS with a SE low level flow.  Very similar to the 00z EURO last night in that more widespread light event.

attachicon.gifgfs_precip_24hr_neng_49.png

A nice 3-6 inch event for most folks. This one ain't gonna be a blockbuster,, but it's certainly looking a solid high end advisory /low end warning event for the vast majority of us

There's no mechanism to cool us off though on the GFS, it's a weak system in a stale airmass, no surprise that it's warm at the surface. I know the GFS sucks with BL temps, but it's not alone, every single model as of right now is too warm for accumulating snow in most of SNE. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this light stuff is going to cut it, need to get the dynamics, bombing and connection to the high back like we had a couple days ago on the EURO to allow for a colder solution. Otherwise, you're going to end up with light rain/non accumulating snow IMO. If it was January 20th instead of December 20th or we had a better airmass, I'd feel differently, but I don't see a GFS like solution working for SNE if you're trying to get snow out of it unless we see a substantial trend cooler on all guidance(Which is possible, but unlikely.). 

I feel confident in saying there would be snow inland and esp high terrain with 534 thicknesses with the depiction.

Well ... as I discussed with you all three days ago ... wanted(want) to see this inside of D4.5 this particular go around, because of the high numbers of waves shorter than rosby scale ... vying for proxy in the flow, interfering; recall: the ECMWF technique of normalizing for perturbation might not be the right approach for enhanced nebularity.  That philosophical approach appears to be supported, with latest Euro operational runs backing off the stem-wound bomb nor-easter....

That said, yeah ..there's likely to be an "event" of sort around the 21st... The 12z operational GFS has a negatively tilted weak to midland caliber wave passing over the area, and that should put out a bit of QPF (ptype not withstanding.  

XMass event is for real... Euro appears west biased as usual for this sort of time lead; which isn't to say the GFS is outright the leader here, but the teleconnectors starting to lean toward favored east solutions for that time frame.  

Interesting Met to follow...  21st could still come in stronger as we see more relay off the Pac over the next couple of runs, but I am starting to suspect the latter becomes dominant.  we'll see.

A nice 3-6 inch event for most folks. This one ain't gonna be a blockbuster,, but it's certainly looking a solid high end advisory /low end warning event for the vast majority of us

I agree on a widespread advisory event.  No reason why anyone should be unhappy with that.  Just put some white down.

Archived