Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think as a whole, we still have a lot to learn about weather. If this Winter does end up being normal to just slightly okay, that's such a far cry from what many established mets had forecast, the models had shown longer range, and the analogs.

I really don't think we humans are supposed to be able to predict weather weeks in advance.  Short range has come a long way though.

Widre's pessimism was warranted for this time-frame coming up.  I think he should start his own pay website and post his thoughts.

90% of him calling for crap, he'd be right.  Instead of all this "snow is coming" crap.'

Oh yeah, nobody would pay if he told the truth.

I hope people understand that just because someone has a pay site and they say it will snow, you are generally just wasting your money.

At least sites like weatherbell offer both JBs thoughts AND model data.

I'm ready to track something. My bride led off with this, and finished with a Davis Vantage View under the tree yesterday.

Sounds like you've got a keeper there, fraz!   :thumbsup:

My wife gave me the Vue several years ago.  The following Christmas she followed it up with the Davis software that collects and displays the data.  This Christmas, I got to add a Kestrel 2000 to the collection (handheld wind and temperature gauge, perfect for checking conditions out on a hike).  My wife too is a general supporter of my weather hobby, for which I am very fortunate.

whaYBAS.jpg

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

I'm ready to track something. My bride led off with this, and finished with a Davis Vantage View under the tree yesterday.

You got a keeper. There's nothing like it.  My wife bought my Davis Vantage Pro II for my birthday 2 years ago. She also puts up with my no notice chases when the chances come. Been together 30 years.  Often feels like 30 days.  

Sounds like you've got a keeper there, fraz!   :thumbsup:

My wife gave me the Vue several years ago.  The following Christmas she followed it up with the Davis software that collects and displays the data.  This Christmas, I got to add a Kestrel 2000 to the collection (handheld wind and temperature gauge, perfect for checking conditions out on a hike).  My wife too is a general supporter of my weather hobby, for which I am very fortunate.

whaYBAS.jpg

Nice. I'll have to make sure I can handle this before I tackle the even cooler toys. 

She got some good laughs with the low tech John Deere "weather station" She gave me first.

Oh where, oh where

Has my winter gone?

Oh where, oh where can it be?

With its promises so grand

And its hype so active

Oh where, oh where can it be?

I think it went down

With the raging QBO

And the Solar Activity

And the MJO mess

And the horrible indices

And the day 10 fantasy

I wonder where it could be…

Last year I read something that got my attention.  At that time we had 340 consecutive months where the global temperature was above normal.  What are the odds of that on a normal climate situation?  This was the odds at 327 consecutive months.

"That followed the warmest May on record for the Northern Hemisphere – the 327th consecutive month in which the temperature of the entire globe exceeded the 20th-century average, the odds of which occurring by simple chance were 3.7 x 10-99, a number considerably larger than the number of stars in the universe."

Pretty interesting stuff and it continued.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/june-extends-globes-warm-streak-to-340-months-16258

June was one of the hottest such months on record globally, based on newly released data from NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The month extended the unbroken string of warmer-than-average months to 340, or a stretch of more than 28 years. That means that no one under the age of 28 has ever experienced a month in which global average temperatures were cooler than average (based on the 20th century average).

You know it's bad when there are so few comments in the pattern thread about the models. The Euro must have sucked.

CR,

Yep. above normal temp.'s SE 6-10 with ridge just offshore the SE. The SE has the warmest anomalies in the country in the 6-10. Wake me when it gets more interesting zzzzzz lol. This is getting so monotonous. I want the 12Z runs of Tuesday back! ;)

CR,

Yep. above normal temp.'s SE 6-10 with ridge just offshore the SE. The SE has the warmest anomalies in the country in the 6-10. Wake me when it gets more interesting zzzzzz lol. This is getting so monotonous. I want the 12Z runs of Tuesday back! ;)

Yeah! Tuesday icebox. Those were the good ol days!

You know it's bad when there are so few comments in the pattern thread about the models. The Euro must have sucked.

It might have been better than last night...   Instead of the low cutting up through Missouri to Michigan, it cuts up through Kentucky to New York.  A couple more shifts like that and we're in business.  The trend is our friend. :yikes:  :lol:

Chicago went from raining with tons of precip to hardly any precip at all in one run.  Must be a tough place...

Then the LR pattern is awful.

Archived