• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

It's amazing how quiet it got in here after last nights runs.......

Was it just me or were the Euro Ensembles better for us than the operational run?? First time I've seen that (not that I have been actively looking).

This isnt old news with an el nino winter. Typically december is a sub par month in both snow and cold performance out of DJF. Still it gets lost on deaf ears, EURO ensembles didnt look too bad at all last night, marked improvements in the LR for sure

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how quiet it got in here after last nights runs.......

Was it just me or were the Euro Ensembles better for us than the operational run?? First time I've seen that (not that I have been actively looking).

The ensembles def looked better than the op for next week. I think we'd want that leading wave to be weak because the baroclonic zone needs to stay close to shore for the next shortwave.

wouldn't it also be good to continue to see the first system trend warmer and further northwest ? could that possibly mean a further west amplification of the following wave as the northern stream digs and the pattern becomes more amplified with less of a progressive flow. I'm not willing to rule this one out but the difference between the GFS and the Euro is massive at this time and someone is going to have to give up some serious ground.

I would want a stronger system no matter where you are. You obviously don't want it tracking over ACK or CHH if you are on the CP but a potent system riding up or just outside 70w would be good. If the high is north of Maine there will be a good cold feed.

But at this point, we need to worry more about there being a storm in the first place vs specific track.

The so called gradient pattern hasn't been very favorable unless you are in central and northern Maine. Cold highs crest north of us, but it times out each time so they evacuate east just in time to not hold in enough cold in the mid and upper levels. I wasn't all that thrilled with my 90% PL and FZRA event Tuesday night and then a cold raw high of  38.

The situation next week looked to have a high holding north.

What a sh itty weekend incoming.

The so called gradient pattern hasn't been very favorable unless you are in central and northern Maine. Cold highs crest north of us, but it times out each time so they evacuate east just in time to not hold in enough cold in the mid and upper levels. I wasn't all that thrilled with my 90% PL and FZRA event Tuesday night and then a cold raw high of  38.

Yea Jeff and Tamarack may be the Ok as well as the Maine Ski Areas.

Are you guys talking about the extended range? Nobody looks good in that pattern. There aren't the colder Quebec highs like we see in the next 7 days.

They are talking next week, Long range is not as favorable

*if* you take the euro ensembles as correct...they pretty much match the euro weeklies which had a bad look weeks 2 and 3 but an improved look by week 4, the ensembles at the very very end of the run show some signs of that. if you extrapoloate them (lol at extrapolating a 15 day prog), a couple of days past that point things would start to get better (assuming it isn't a reload). there's a decent height rise in the E pacific / northwest NA , so minimally downstream heights would start to fall and we could tug some of the arctic / polar air back down into canada. but still the core the good stuff is on the opposite side.

maybe we'd be looking at xmas-ish to get back into something that's more sustained? 

*if* you take the euro ensembles as correct...they pretty much match the euro weeklies which had a bad look weeks 2 and 3 but an improved look by week 4, the ensembles at the very very end of the run show some signs of that. if you extrapoloate them (lol at extrapolating a 15 day prog), a couple of days past that point things would start to get better (assuming it isn't a reload). there's a decent height rise in the E pacific / northwest NA , so minimally downstream heights would start to fall and we could tug some of the arctic / polar air back down into canada. but still the core the good stuff is on the opposite side.

maybe we'd be looking at xmas-ish to get back into something that's more sustained? 

Yeah the EPO starts to turn neutral and that's the "light at the end of the tunnel" I  referred to earlier. Of course It's December and many areas can pull snow in a lousy pattern..but Christmas time give or take is my guess for a more winter-like pattern. But, that's just an educated guess. My issue is that I would like to see heights rise in the Davis Straits. This +NAO really sucks.It seems like the index will start to decrease after mid month.

Yeah the EPO starts to turn neutral and that's the "light at the end of the tunnel" I  referred to earlier. Of course It's December and many areas can pull snow in a lousy pattern..but Christmas time give or take is my guess for a more winter-like pattern. But, that's just an educated guess. My issue is that I would like to see heights rise in the Davis Straits. This +NAO really sucks.It seems like the index will start to decrease after mid month.

yeah agree there...the weakening + EPO won't make it work alone. 

I recall you guys were in a really crappy pattern in 2012 until just before Xmas...I can imagine lots of weenies were panicking that year. I was lucky enough to be in cold and snowy Europe that month.

So anyway, the moral is that it is early and no point in wasting a disproportionate amount of time grasping for the pattern change. Lots of family activities etc. to take precedent during the holidays. Better times will probably arrive later in the month.

In 2012 there was a very east based - NAO which was keeping Europe so cold, but it sucked in North America most of the month as I recall.

No we are talking this weekend and the beginning of next week, the NAM actually is showing pretty good ice now in Greenfield Chris's hood.

???

NAM looks warm...maybe a couple tenths of ice on just the east side of the spine of the Berks, but that's about it. Maybe a brief glaze elsewhere in the interior before rain. At any rate, I'm not impressed with that system...it's kind of ugly for NNE too...though I'm hoping at least areas like Sunday River can hang onto a good period of snow with their CAD location.

The best chance is definitely next week if we can get a good storm to push north into that high.

BTV still thinking advisory event for Saturday, looks marginal but I think we'll get a good period of snow to start.

"Total quantitative precipitation forecast ranges from 0.2 - 0.6" heaviest across central and southern Vermont though again...not all of that will fall as frozen precipitation. Snow amounts range from a dusting to 2" for the Champlain Valley, Adirondacks and St. Lawrence Valley to 2-4" for the northern greens and Northeast Kingdom. Could see up to a tenth of an inch of ice accretion in lower southern Vermont and into the Adirondacks. Still some time for more details to evolve but it has the look of an advisory event on present indications."

Archived