• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

The main shortwave on the GFS stays pretty far north...we need it to sort of dig down and cutoff a bit from the main flow. Otherwise we get the GFS solution which it has essentially had the whole time...a glorified clipper tracking through James Bay.

It has a small piece of southern stream energy that tries to get a storm going SE of us way too late in the ballgame. That would have to improve quite a bit for it to be useful in getting good precip in here. But you can track the whole shortwave on the GFs...it comes onshore at 48h...then tracks right across the northern tier never really losing any latitude east of the Rockies...that's one major part we'd want to change going forward. More vorticity on the southern flank would certainly help...that's the stuff that goes through the Four Corners region south of the main s/w.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS still looks like a big zero on any decent storm next week.

At over 5 days out, it didn't kill it completely. It came significantly north at 6z and significantly north again at 12z. It still needs to be sharper, but it is heading in the right direction at least.

The main shortwave on the GFS stays pretty far north...we need it to sort of dig down and cutoff a bit from the main flow. Otherwise we get the GFS solution which it has essentially had the whole time...a glorified clipper tracking through James Bay.

It has a small piece of southern stream energy that tries to get a storm going SE of us way too late in the ballgame. That would have to improve quite a bit for it to be useful in getting good precip in here. But you can track the whole shortwave on the GFs...it comes onshore at 48h...then tracks right across the northern tier never really losing any latitude east of the Rockies...that's one major part we'd want to change going forward. More vorticity on the southern flank would certainly help...that's the stuff that goes through the Four Corners region south of the main s/w.

Euro illustrates how to do it nicely with it digging south, easy to track to from the EPAC. 

Maybe not coastal areas, but I'd think inland would do well with that. Can't see anything else other than low placement though at this hour, so it's all speculation anyway.

Let's see what the EURO does.

I'm talking about 850. That track seems like it would flood us with milder air aloft with a retreating high like that.

I'm talking about 850. That track seems like it would flood us with milder air aloft with a retreating high like that.

Eventually, sure, but there's probably some wintry precip to start with that. It'll change in 12 hours though, no sense debating it one way or the other. Onto the EURO.

And having just looked at the GGEM, I think we can safely say toss that. What an absurd model.

It is encouraging to see the closer tracks on UK/GGEM...that may bode well for this threat. Not worried about verbatim solutions.

The delayed nature of the system though will make it more difficult on coastal areas as the high is more up toward Nov Scotia now. That's a more classic ENE flow which is bad news for coastal areas. But even this could change a bit.

The good news is that it seems like the light is visible at the end of the tunnel. The vortex starts to retro back to Bering Sea and NE Russia. It's not the best position, but it will ease the Pacfic death jet into NAMR. This will slowly allow the EPO to turn more neutral.

I think that's also a better look for the stratosphere to take a beating. 

Does Plymouth State not get UKMET plots anymore?

Nope, they took them off their site over the summer I believe, and even then, they were only to hour 72. Only thing that goes beyond 72 that I know of is the classic map on meteocentre(What I posted). Too bad really, it's a good model verification wise, second only to the EURO, but it's hard to use when you don't have any parameters to look at besides MSLP. The one thing I think you can take from it though is that it looks nothing like the GFS, which lends support to the idea that the GFS is being the GFS and doing it's usual ignore the system until 72 hours out routine. 

If you look at it that way they are all useless, but probably indicates that cyclogenisis is nearby, its over amped solutions haven't changed since the upgrade. .

You made my point. The fact they it makes everything a STS now doesn't help much. But, it has a storm.

The GEFS have a legit storm, albeit well east. It's an improvement from 6z though. Better look.

Archived