• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
8 week experimental forecast

Ginx snewx

I had pretty good success last year with a 6 week forecast and am going to try to extend it to 8 this year. The methods I used are the same as last year so hopefully this works again. My forecast is tamer than what my results show but safe to say  its very impressive if you are a fan of winter..

Experimental and for fun

Week of 11/15/14

Well below normal with some snow chances during this period with LES events  -3 to -6

Week of 11/22/14

Very much below normal period - 5 to -7 with a good chance at a strong Noreaster  with snows to the coast

Week of 11/29/14

A strong soueaster heralds in yet another cold blast -2 to -4

Week of 12/06/14

Return to much below normal cold possible coastal snowstorm around the 4th -4,-6 then a 2-3 day milder pattern

Week of 12/13/14

Couple of  very cold days then a  thaw, temps normal

Week of 12/20/14

Much warmer, Grinch week ,cutter a temporary pattern flip

Week of 12/27/14

Huge snowstorm, entire country frigid -4/-7

Week of 1/4/15

much much below normal extreme cold and dry - 6 /-8 Epic LES

I hope to have as much success as last year, reviewing things again, that Grinch week just might yield a Christmas/eve night snow. It appears to me upper air/teleconnections features change abruptly around that time. That time period though is past week 6 so definitely not as confident. I found last year on my own, signals smooth out and get muddled near week 6. Just doing it for fun anyways

I wish I could even make a guess like that...

But I agree that all signs are go for an early start this year.  We usually don't have that, it really seems real this year.  Early starts in New England, with the right teleconnections, I would think almost feed on themselves i.e. thick snowpack during the lowest sun angle period.  We have only hit -20 once since I've lived here.  I suspect we hit that before the end of the 1st week of January.  I'll make that prediction.  I also predict 4 feet of snow will have fallen by the New Year up here.

I wish I could even make a guess like that...

But I agree that all signs are go for an early start this year.  We usually don't have that, it really seems real this year.  Early starts in New England, with the right teleconnections, I would think almost feed on themselves i.e. thick snowpack during the lowest sun angle period.  We have only hit -20 once since I've lived here.  I suspect we hit that before the end of the 1st week of January.  I'll make that prediction.  I also predict 4 feet of snow will have fallen by the New Year up here.

wow 4 feet by New Years, nice. I certainly hope so from a skiers perspective. If I have 20 inches by  then I will be overjoyed.

wow 4 feet by New Years, nice. I certainly hope so from a skiers perspective. If I have 20 inches by  then I will be overjoyed.

If winter does indeed start mid Nov, 4 feet is great but quite possible.  That is 48 inches and we average 80 or so.  Our big winters range between 100 and 140, so 48 is not unreasonable.

Anyone want to hazard a guess why there seems to be a string of Christmas warmups and "Grinch" storms over the past few years? Is it something like the January thaw in terms of timing or just a series of coincidences?

We just remember the grinch events. 1995, 2002, 2009 were decidedly ungrinchy. 2004 also and 1993.

If winter does indeed start mid Nov, 4 feet is great but quite possible.  That is 48 inches and we average 80 or so.  Our big winters range between 100 and 140, so 48 is not unreasonable.

Not quite 80"...more like low 70s. We've been on quite a run though.

The last 4' by New Year's was 2007-08. We actually had 5' that season right after the 1/1/08 storm.

Archived