Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Lake Effect Snowstorm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of how extensive the melt will be, would expect that the outer portions of the snow pack where it is less than 24" deep after settling will all melt and the ground will be bare by Monday night, except for any higher snow banks created by plowing.

Where the depths are 24-36 inches, would expect a fairly uneven outcome, some areas bare, some with waterlogged snow, and extensive ponding assuming that there are numerous snowbanks higher than three feet in that zone.

Where the depths are >36 inches, the ground will not become bare but snow depths will be reduced by at least two feet and the snow on the ground will be waterlogged. Any plowed parking lots or underpasses will fill up with 2-3 feet of meltwater, if not more.

I hope some of this info gets out on the media, as I have a hunch that many weather forum readers probably know more about these issues than 95% of the public. --

In all cases, houses with basements will have a high risk of basement flooding. From my own rather extensive experience with this in a heavy snow zone in Ontario, you can help yourself out in three ways. First of all, try to figure out in advance how meltwater from the street or around your property is going to flow once the thaw begins. Design your driveway and sidewalk snow clearance so that the water is not directed towards your house and especially not towards basement windows or other openings. That will probably save you from a rapid inundation and keep things to a slow creep of ground water. Expect to have water in your basement and move valuables to the main floor or at least high up on shelving. Assess electrical risks, as you could be electrocuted if you wade into that standing water. If you can acquire a sump pump today or on Saturday, and you think you might benefit from it, get one, and make sure the electrical connection is from a higher source than the likely height of flood water (although your pump is supposed to prevent that, it may however lose power for a time).

You would be surprised how many people even in snow belt areas do nothing to channel runoff and just assume that it comes with the territory to be flooded. It's your property, and you can send the water into whatever portion of your yard that you choose, but try to be mindful of your neighbors' situations and in some cases co-ordinate with them so your runoff doesn't flood their basement.

In some cases the same applies to your garage, if you happen to have a driveway that slopes a bit and if the road becomes a stream, then your garage becomes the estuary.

Good luck and remember the elderly and disabled who will be trapped in their homes longer than most.

Kind of a dumb question, but interests me lol, have you guys been able to get mail? I know the old saying, but just not sure how it'd be possible in these events.

For my in-laws in West Seneca and Lancaster, mail delivery is totally impossible.

In North Buffalo, we haven't had any mail delivered since Monday, despite getting less than 8 inches of snow.

Shoveling, wish me luck

I marvel at the compaction of that LES snow.  In Feb 2010, we had 55" over 4 storms in 11 days and I had a 42" snow depth (more to the NE of me) 24 hours after the last flake fell here in Central Maryland and the SWE was 4-6".  

nsm_swe_2010021105_Eastern_Coastal.jpg

Your snow water equivalent seems to be similar or slightly more.  Now that your snow has settled and compacted for a day, what is the standing depth?

nsm_swe_2014112105_Southern_Great_Lakes.

I marvel at the compaction of that LES snow.  In Feb 2010, we had 55" over 4 storms in 11 days and I had a 42" snow depth (more to the NE of me) 24 hours after the last flake fell here in Central Maryland and the SWE was 4-6".  

nsm_swe_2010021105_Eastern_Coastal.jpg

Your snow water equivalent seems to be similar or slightly more.  Now that your snow has settled and compacted for a day, what is the standing depth?

nsm_swe_2014112105_Southern_Great_Lakes.

41 inches, it has been sunny all day with a decent amount of melting/sublimation. This is the wettest lake effect snow I've shoveled since Oct. 2006. It's 41 inches of concrete. It is snowing again...

Wanted to put this in here from CT Rain & Ginxy

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
340 PM EST FRI NOV 21 2014

THE FOLLOWING ARE SNOW DEPTH MEASUREMENTS AND SNOW WATER EQUIVALENT
(SWE) FROM THE HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW THAT IMPACTED THE REGION.

***********************SNOW ON GROUND***********************

LOCATION SNOW TIME/DATE COMMENTS
ON GROUND OF
/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...ERIE COUNTY...
ELMA 35.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 5.6 INCHES.
ORCHARD PARK 34.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 6.3 INCHES.
1 S WEST SENECA 32.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 6.0 INCHES.
TOWN LINE 32.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 5.6 INCHES.
LANCASTER 30.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 5.4 INCHES.
1 N WEST SENECA 28.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 4.8 INCHES.
BUFFALO 27.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 4.5 INCHES.
WALES HOLLOW 24.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 3.2 INCHES.
CLARENCE 20.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 3.8 INCHES.

...GENESEE COUNTY...
1 E DARIEN 34.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 6.0 INCHES.
DARIEN 28.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 4.5 INCES.
CORFU 27.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 4.5 INCHES.

...WYOMING COUNTY...
FOLSOMDALE 40.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 5.6 INCHES.
ATTICA 27.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 3.4 INCHES.

seems 13-14/1 was the w/e if using those SWE numbers with total snow reported .

There probably was >100" in the hardest hit towns but the snow was falling 5" per hour and never adding to the depth. That weight just caused the snow to collapse on itself and compact.

unreal just beautiful scenes in the areas with untouched snow. seems lots of people having difficulty shoveling and snowblowing, not an easy chore. Probably the heaviest 35 inches of snow ever. 6 inches of water in 35 inches is brutal. a 24 inch shovel with 12 inches of snow would weigh about 30 lbs per shovel

BuffaloWeather, that was a GREAT walking/interview video. Thank you again for all you've posted during this historical event.

Also, it absolutely pisses me off there is bare pavement there. PennDOT can't get f'n bare pavement in a 3" snowstorm until the sun melts it away yet those crews cleared 60"+ within a day? Good lord.

Yeah, I would liked to have seen that in person. It's amazing that your totals for a few days exceeded

my snowiest season on record that took months in 95-96.

We live and die by the lake effect here. Lake Erie freezes on average in Late Jan/Early Feb so we really only have 1-2 months of chances at Lake effect.

BuffaloWeather, that was a GREAT walking/interview video. Thank you again for all you've posted during this historical event.

Also, it absolutely pisses me off there is bare pavement there. PennDOT can't get f'n bare pavement in a 3" snowstorm until the sun melts it away yet those crews cleared 60"+ within a day? Good lord.

Thanks! I hope all of you enjoyed all of my videos, it was a lot of work but thoroughly enjoyable throughout. Yeah, Buffalo snow clearing crews have to be some of the best in the country. The road is as wide as it was in summer and bare pavement the day after this event, incredible.

We live and die by the lake effect here. Lake Erie freezes on average in Late Jan/Early Feb so we really only have 1-2 months of chances at Lake effect.

Thanks! I hope all of you enjoyed all of my videos, it was a lot of work but thoroughly enjoyable throughout. Yeah, Buffalo snow clearing crews have to be some of the best in the country. The road is as wide as it was in summer and bare pavement the day after this event, incredible.

I really enjoy your videos and reports. I don't get the opportunity to see such extreme snowfall rates 

for hours with those huge storm total accumulations here on Long Island.

Archived