Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Lake Effect Snowstorm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys probably won't believe me. But I just measured 11 inches in the last 2 hours.

Absolutely believe you....with little wind (as you reported earlier) those BIG dendrites will not only remain larger through the lowest 1000' of the atmosphere, they will stack nice and unperturbed (fluffy) at the surface....that is how you get the insane rates...even if it isn't "snowing" harder...

I think anyone in their right mind would believe you. What is storm total then? My head would be spinning trying to keep track and keeping the measurements accurate. Is there much blowing and drifting?

It's really hard to keep track of...The winds are gusting 35 mph+ That is why I have been measuring every 2 hours. If I waited 6 hours the drifts would be to huge to measure.

Absolutely believe you....with little wind (as you reported earlier) those BIG dendrites will not only remain larger through the lowest 1000' of the atmosphere, they will stack nice and unperturbed (fluffy)....that is how you get the insane rates...even if it isn't "snowing" harder...

We're getting really gusty winds right now, probably because we are on the north side of the band currently.

Well folks just a message from England (Manchester) - tremendous effort. Been reading the forum for the past 2 days and wow. Loved the pics and vids. Wish I was there, we don't get events like that over here. You've made bbc news tonight and the web site. Keep the vids coming!

I totally believe you, you seem to be honest and detailed, can you do a depth measurement in an undrifted area?

I feel like I am in Antarctica. I honestly cannot put into words what is happening outside right now. I will try my best. My backyard is an acre so I will try to get a few spots and measure the depth.

86.5 inches.

Jesus. Are you only measuring every 2hrs or are you clearing too? If the clearing is every 6hrs+ then that's just wild. Clearing every 2 would nullify your total and cause quite a bit of inflation. Obviously you know that though.

Can you make a depth OTG measurement at all or is it near impossible right now?

Jesus. Are you only measuring every 2hrs or are you clearing too? If the clearing is every 6hrs+ then that's just wild. Clearing every 2 would nullify your total and cause quite a bit of inflation. Obviously you know that though.

Can you make a depth OTG measurement at all or is it near impossible right now?

Actually, my totals would be more inflated if I took them every 6 hours due to blowing and drifting. I will try to grab a depth measurement when the band drifts south.

Archived