joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter

jburns

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy how the severe weather thread is dead right now even with a tornado/severe outbreak going on. I bet the thread explodes tomorrow when a tornado warning is issued for a rural area in NC tomorrow.

There's nothing stopping you from breathing life into that thread right now.  Hit us up with some good posts in the severe thread.

Crazy how the severe weather thread is dead right now even with a tornado/severe outbreak going on. I bet the thread explodes tomorrow when a tornado warning is issued for a rural area in NC tomorrow.

Not sure why we don't have more folks from FL, GA, SC, and VA on here. I wish there was more folks from those areas that posted. But it seems we get a lot more people here overall during the threat of winter storms than we do for severe storms and tornadoes.

I have a random wedge /ice storm question? I remember some ice storms in the late 80s early 90s , where we had rain a half a day or longer, then the rain turned to sleet/fr rain in the afternoon, I assume , after the cold air finally bled down. Do y'all think the more damage occurs if it starts out as ice , in regards to tree damage/ uprooting , in particular? Does the start as rain loosen the soil, or does it no have an effect? And what would be the set up to cause alot of rain and then change to ice? I haven't seen that occur in awhile, it's been all or nothing!

Mack, I think more damage would be done if it starts out as ice, simply due to the fact that more precip would accumulate on objects. If the ground is very wet, then I suppose it would make it easier for trees to fall, but generally, I'd think you need to have more than just a little bit of rain at the onset of an ice storm to sufficiently saturate the ground.

I remember back in the 80s many times precipitation would start as either rain or zr/sleet and then turn from rain to ice or ice to snow during the event. It seems like a lot of events we've had have gone the other way since that period. We start out as snow or ice and then go to ice or rain. The big Jan 2000 storm started as rain but then quickly changed to sleet and then snow. That was a notable exception to the pattern.

Not sure why we don't have more folks from FL, GA, SC, and VA on here. I wish there was more folks from those areas that posted. But it seems we get a lot more people here overall during the threat of winter storms than we do for severe storms and tornadoes.

I'll be around just not envolved like I used to be.

That is most definitely the case and probably always will be.

I'll be around just not envolved like I used to be.

Great! I forgot to mention AL, but it seems most of their folks stay on another board. I know it seems like most folks that post here are from NC. Would be nice if we had more active posters from those other states.

That is most definitely the case and probably always will be.

I guess it's because snow storms don;t happen as often as severe storms here. The funny thing is I like to follow severe weather wherever it happens, bit I only care about winter storms if it has a chance to happen in my backyard. 

I know we have a lot of people that just lurk, too. They need to sign up and start posting. Maybe we will get more folks from other states then.

You might of hit it with the winter storms. NC tends to get more threats during the winter. Most on here are winter weather enthusiast. We all like severe storms but it can't compare to a winter storm. Even the other posters (from other states) tend to be from the coldest regions of the state(N. Ga, upstate SC, through the piedmont of NC). **Also there's the thing of population. Those areas tend to be the most populated. I'll probably get attacked for this but just my observation.   

I've been very active on my FB and Twitter pages, so it makes it difficult to also come here and post. 

I get that. But it's not hard to just copy and paste the same thing here.

WxSouth never posts here anymore. I think that is a huge loss. Same for Alan Huffman and Matthew East. Maybe they just wait until the winter storm threats.

I get that. But it's not hard to just copy and paste the same thing here.

WxSouth never posts here anymore. I think that is a huge loss. Same for Alan Huffman and Matthew East. Maybe they just wait until the winter storm threats.

Robert has his own site. He has to be dedicated to it first in terms of weather information (it's paid so he can't give it away free here). Alan and Matt tend to post when there are winter weather threats (they'll be back). Mets are great but I also get some great information from the non-mets. When there are big storms around I'll come here first.   

My thoughts:

1) When a winter storm is wide reaching, it affects everyone in a region and also typically for at least several hours straight. The same can't be said for a typical severe outbreak. Also, if there is sticking SN/IP or sig. ZR, the aftermath often lasts for as much as several days throughout a region, especially if very cold.

2) Wintry precip. is more enjoyable for most here from what I can tell. The idea of snow in the south is hard to beat for enjoyment, especially due to its novelty. Also, the beauty is hard to beat. More enjoyment means more posts.

3) I think that forecasting winter storms is more interesting for most here.

Robert has his own site. He has to be dedicated to it first in terms of weather information (it's paid so he can't give it away free here). Alan and Matt tend to post when there are winter weather threats (they'll be back). Mets are great but I also get some great information from the non-mets. When there are big storms around I'll come here first.   

I know he has his own site, but it really doesn't take that long to post here. I don't think time is really the biggest factor.

My thoughts:

1) When a winter storm is wide reaching, it affects everyone in a region and also typically for at least several hours straight. The same can't be said for a typical severe outbreak. Also, if there is sticking SN/IP or sig. ZR, the aftermath often lasts for as much as several days throughout a region, especially if very cold.

2) Wintry precip. is more enjoyable for most here from what I can tell. The idea of snow in the south is hard to beat for enjoyment, especially due to its novelty. Also, the beauty is hard to beat. More enjoyment means more posts.

3) I think that forecasting winter storms is more interesting for most here.

All good points. I def. agree with number 3. I think Severe is also tougher to forecast as there are so many variables to it. I personally just dislike severe weather. 

I just think it's more than just not having time that has kept people away. Like others have said, it seems more people are interested in posting during the winter threats than any other time. And I think some just don't care to post as much as they used to.

I didn't say anything about time. I want to know what you do for work.

I didn't say anything about time. I want to know what you do for work.

You will never get a straight answer from Brick about stuff like that.  He obfuscates and deflects.

Brick, you are smart enough to know that Robert is going to post on his site for his clients.  It is what he does for a living.  Once he feels like he has given them the information they're paying him for and that they have had the proper amount of time to consume it, he will post here, if he chooses.  And during big wintertime events, he usually chooses.  You know this, yet you keep bringing him up.

You will never get a straight answer from Brick about stuff like that.  He obfuscates and deflects.

Brick, you are smart enough to know that Robert is going to post on his site for his clients.  It is what he does for a living.  Once he feels like he has given them the information they're paying him for and that they have had the proper amount of time to consume it, he will post here, if he chooses.  And during big wintertime events, he usually chooses.  You know this, yet you keep bringing him up.

I get it. I just think the site misses folks like him, Alan, and Matthew.

Archived