joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ongoing Banter Thread

Carvers Gap

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Especially for down here. Sometimes you can adjust his calls based on geography and they come out ok.

I don't think Dave spends much time on it south or west of the VA border...he is primarily focused on the Mid Atlantic and the Northeast. Why he does not cut off his map there is beyond me because he draws some silly things for our area almost everytime.

Last year KTRI set the record high with 75 degrees and this year on the same day broke the record low with -10.

I don't know how many times in a lifetime you can break your old record by 23 degrees (13 vs -10), but I bet it only happens once or twice in a lifetime.  

Interesting side note at KTRI, our high for the date also broke the record low. WOW!

I don't know how many times in a lifetime you can break your old record by 23 degrees (13 vs -10), but I bet it only happens once or twice in a lifetime.

Interesting side note at KTRI, our high for the date also broke the record low. WOW!

It may be another 30 years before we break a record like that or get this low again! Breaking a record low with a high is unprecedented.

I noticed that the term Polar Vortex wasn't thrown around any this time and it was colder than last year. Yes I know the PV dropped into Michigan last year and not now. Every cold shot that came thru after that was labeled that way. Even the cold shot in November was blamed by the Polar Vortex.

Anyways it didn't take long for the Holston to freeze up. 55cc1ab840f7a9dffe81830999e121a1.jpg

This is going to be one of the legendary wintry weeks of all time around these parts. We've seen every form of wintry precip at some point. A crippling winter storm. Possibly another crippling winter storm. As well as record smashing cold, extreme cold for some of us, which to me is anything -5 or below north of 50 and 5 or below for south of 40. The extremely low highs are just as impressive and we may never live long enough to see them in late February again.

It makes me wonder how much the PDO is driving it. It had been in a pretty cold state for several years but it flipped to a warm state last year, though it may only stay that way briefly as the overall trend seems to be the cold state for now. But I read a paper earlier that said a warm PDO and El Nino = below average temps and above normal precip in the Southeast. They last time it flipped warm was 1977, which of course featured the brutal late 1970s winters, that extended into the mid 1980s. 

If La Nina happens during the cold phase the temps are generally above normal and precip is below normal in the SE. 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 were moderate to weak/neutral La Nina years and it was the cold phase of the PDO. Two of the worst winters ever resulted. 

I curbed my enthuisiasm for tonight's storm and it looks like a lot of the board did the same...here's hoping for a surprise!  I know we are all going to rain at some point but with this unusual setup you never know if you can eck out a longer then expected changeover, or more precip filters eastward etc...

This is going to be one of the legendary wintry weeks of all time around these parts. We've seen every form of wintry precip at some point. A crippling winter storm. Possibly another crippling winter storm. As well as record smashing cold, extreme cold for some of us, which to me is anything -5 or below north of 50 and 5 or below for south of 40. The extremely low highs are just as impressive and we may never live long enough to see them in late February again.

It makes me wonder how much the PDO is driving it. It had been in a pretty cold state for several years but it flipped to a warm state last year, though it may only stay that way briefly as the overall trend seems to be the cold state for now. But I read a paper earlier that said a warm PDO and El Nino = below average temps and above normal precip in the Southeast. They last time it flipped warm was 1977, which of course featured the brutal late 1970s winters, that extended into the mid 1980s. 

If La Nina happens during the cold phase the temps are generally above normal and precip is below normal in the SE. 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 were moderate to weak/neutral La Nina years and it was the cold phase of the PDO. Two of the worst winters ever resulted. 

I am not banging a climate change drum or trying to be controversial but this year and last year had brief cold snaps not really seen since 1985.  Something odd is brewing in the climate that seem to indicate an increase in extreme weather possibilities with overall warming in the backdrop.  Some of this concerns me.

Pipe, you here? I don't know what the Hell happened. I installed TapaTalk a day or  2 ago. It posted as VW Builder. I do't ever remeber having an account with that name. I did for a short time a few years back on Tennesseewx because I forgot all the info on my old account. They straightened it out for me over there. 

I think there is a developing volcano under my driveway. The low this morning was 10 and the high 29, yesterday's high was 20, yesterday's low was 5. By all rights it should be frozen solid. The snow that fell in the heavy band that just moved through is frozen onto all the streets and even the interstate, but it is melting down on my asphalt driveway at night. I will report in with ashfall accumulations and lava flows later. . . 

Pipe, you here? I don't know what the Hell happened. I installed TapaTalk a day or  2 ago. It posted as VW Builder. I do't ever remeber having an account with that name. I did for a short time a few years back on Tennesseewx because I forgot all the info on my old account. They straightened it out for me over there. 

From what I can tell, there is no "Uncle Nasty" user name registered over here.  There is "VW Builder" registered December 19th 2011 and "Tennessee Snow" registered January 2nd 2011.  Try logging in directly here with each of those names to see which email/account information is associated with each.  Then check your TapaTalk settings and make sure it is using the account you prefer.

This forum needs more Popcorn Sutton avatars and delicious margarita recipes so I hope you get it figured out!

From what I can tell, there is no "Uncle Nasty" user name registered over here.  There is "VW Builder" registered December 19th 2011 and "Tennessee Snow" registered January 2nd 2011.  Try logging in directly here with each of those names to see which email/account information is associated with each.  Then check your TapaTalk settings and make sure it is using the account you prefer.

This forum needs more Popcorn Sutton avatars and delicious margarita recipes so I hope you get it figured out!

Thanks. As you can tell I don't have many posts on this forum. For whatever reason I was thinking I was Uncle Nasty here as well. I don't even remember registering the VWBuilder name. How did Tapatalk pick up on you think? Also, is there any way to delete the VW Builder account and just merge it with TennesseeSnow? If so that would be great. One other thing, can I change my name here? I figured Uncle Nasty would be easier, especially since I thought that's who I thought I was. Haha. I'm an idiot tonight. Margarita recipe forthcoming 

Archived