• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Ongoing Banter Thread

Carvers Gap

Anyone worrying about a pinpoint solution at 5 days out is going to get an ulcer....IN the wordsletters of Aaron Rodgers....R-E-L-A-X. The setup is good....wait for a consensus of models going the wrong way to throw it out. 

The Fonz of weather forecasting..."Everybody be cool.  It's just the 18z. Now, go about your business.  "

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, Bango...good to have another weather geek from the TRI on the board. I don't post very often either, but do read alot and look forward to the analysis and discussion from our great regulars. Now, let's hope your entrance to the forum coincides with a big blast of snow next week! :snowing: :snowing: :snowing:

While everyone is waiting around for the 0z runs here is the experimental FIM model for you to play around with: http://fim.noaa.gov/FIM/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=fim9_zeus&domain=t6&run_time=12+Feb+2015+-+12Z

I was playing on this and I noticed the FIM model lays down a small snow cover for TRI heading into Monday. From what I have gathered, TRI isn't really going to have to worry about temps but rather how much moisture there is to work with (track of the low duh) but let's say we had a slight warm nose.  Would having a snow cover make any difference if you have a warm nose, since I am assuming the problem is warm air aloft and not a surface thing?  Has anybody ever experienced a warm tongue with a snow cover?  I know from following the weather that Chattanooga has been a notorious warm tongue area, usually the warm tongue is blocked up here in TRI but we've had it on occasion.  I think Knox gets the dreaded warm tongue as well.

I was playing on this and I noticed the FIM model lays down a small snow cover for TRI heading into Monday. From what I have gathered, TRI isn't really going to have to worry about temps but rather how much moisture there is to work with (track of the low duh) but let's say we had a slight warm nose. Would having a snow cover make any difference if you have a warm nose, since I am assuming the problem is warm air aloft and not a surface thing? Has anybody ever experienced a warm tongue with a snow cover? I know from following the weather that Chattanooga has been a notorious warm tongue area, usually the warm tongue is blocked up here in TRI but we've had it on occasion. I think Knox gets the dreaded warm tongue as well.

I'll take a stab at answering this question. I'm sure others would know a lot more about this than me. I wouldn't imagine snow cover prior to the system would hurt us. Snow cover lowers the temperature during the day and the night. During the day the energy from the sun is reflected back into the atmosphere instead of being absorbed by the ground. During the night especially when it is clear the snow releases heat which cools the surface more than if there was no snow.

Now with a warm nose I'm not sure if snow cover would help that much since most warm noses are higher up in the atmosphere. The snow would melt into rain and wouldn't have enough time to freeze back into snow. I guess it would also depend on the strength of the warm nose. If the warm nose is strong snow cover wouldn't have an affect much at all. I think snow cover would have a greater affect in marginal scenarios where it would be the difference between rain and freezing rain.

Can anyone else take a stab at this one?

I don't think it's hype and I think there are really only a couple of options here.  The biggest question revolves around the energy buried in the southwest.  If it gets captured and comes out this is likely a bigger deal.  Even if it doesn't though, 2-4 would definitely be achievable.

It should be noted that the ensembles of the GGEM and GFS are north of the OP with good amounts of QPF for the entire state. The OP runs give me slight pause, but to have the GFS south of us in the 3-4 day timeframe has never scared me in the past and it won't now.  If that is what verifies, we can pat the GFS on the back and file it to memory for the future.  We just don't have enough history with the new GFS model to know if it holds some of the same tendencies.  Time will tell.

I don't think it's hype and I think there are really only a couple of options here.  The biggest question revolves around the energy buried in the southwest.  If it gets captured and comes out this is likely a bigger deal.  Even if it doesn't though, 2-4 would definitely be achievable.

It should be noted that the ensembles of the GGEM and GFS are north of the OP with good amounts of QPF for the entire state. The OP runs give me slight pause, but to have the GFS south of us in the 3-4 day timeframe has never scared me in the past and it won't now.  If that is what verifies, we can pat the GFS on the back and file it to memory for the future.  We just don't have enough history with the new GFS model to know if it holds some of the same tendencies.  Time will tell.

I am on board at this point.  Still much to be determined.  I just didn't want to see the board go the way of the SE forum where things roll like a runaway train and reason is left to a few.  Like I said in another post, many wild cards left on the table, but at least we have something to track. 

1960...Man, I wish.

I think the storm needs a thread at this point. There are other issues to discuss in the February thread. Like the potential for -10 degree windchills Friday night and the extreme cold later next week, also another potential clipper/storm coming a few days after this one.

Sounds like a plan.  Somebody start a storm thread.  Will make it easier "archive" and find later anyway.  Be sure to add the tags to it.  Makes it easier to search for later.

Right now I've norrowed down my thoughts on the potential of this storm to two questions. Should I go to Ace Hardware and Tractor Supply tonight and look for a sled or wait? Also, should I buy beer now or wait? We've got plenty of firewood so we're good on that front.

Check that Ace Hardware is closed. Tractor supply it is.

Right now I've norrowed down my thoughts on the potential of this storm to two questions. Should I go to Ace Hardware and Tractor Supply tonight and look for a sled or wait? Also, should I buy beer now or wait? We've got plenty of firewood so we're good on that front.

Check that Ace Hardware is closed. Tractor supply it is.

Could be some bad mojo.  I am starting to get superstitious about even telling my friends about snow.  I have one snow shovel.  I refuse to buy a new one. 

People, does my heart good to see 35-45 Tennessee Valley folks looking at the weather board - our weather board!!!!

21 people at 1:00 AM.

It's getting hard to keep up with all the posts coming in! I guess you could call it the walking dead ( I don't watch the show lol) after the winter till now.

I saw a cool image Ryan Maue posted on Twitter of the winds associated with tomorrow's Nor'easter. This thing looks like a hurricane. There have been a lot of nor'easters this year.

0a1d780851ec6d26becd703554194058.jpg

It's getting hard to keep up with all the posts coming in! I guess you could call it the walking dead ( I don't watch the show lol) after the winter till now.

I saw a cool image Ryan Maue posted on Twitter of the winds associated with tomorrow's Nor'easter. This thing looks like a hurricane. There have been a lot of nor'easters this year. 0a1d780851ec6d26becd703554194058.jpg

My sister-in-law lives in the northwest quadrant. Two feet plus and they already have had like 4'. Sick, man. Just sick. Drifts will be historic.

Archived