joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's an odd look, actually. I've never seen so many days sustained +580dm heights without getting the 850mb temperatures much above 10C!  

It's all because of an interesting nuance in the placement of that surface ridging. It doesn't slip S-SE of the our latitude enough to establish a better deep layer W/SW return flow. If it did...that geopotential layout out would probably support some of the warmest air since Spring (solar dimming notwithstanding...)

I'm forced to wonder if that cool 1300dm thickness idea is wrong, and that high actually does sinka bit further S in latitude. Time will tell.. 

This cool shot today is down right impressive for me. If we had managed a better timed mid/UA cloud deck, we'd have been in the ides of November with this airmass!  It seems it has been years ... years since a going verification was on the cold side that far. Nice! 

But ... short lived... Sunday's nearing 80 in most machine g I've seen. it's really something how quickly the flow turns around right off the deck. 00z/12z op. GFS has 20Kt at 800mb already into western New England by 00z this evening, and we go from +2 to near +10C at 850 by 4pm tomorrow. Euro concurs...

But even the Euro has the bigger heights lingering for days type of appeal from roughly D5ish onwards out to D10. Going to be interesting see if the lower troposphere catches up to all that.  Either way, it's enough positive geopotential departure that it certainly is going to reverse the  very recent trend of early transition season onset. The question is, does that tendency resume after the pseudo Indian Summer ... 

BOS may end up with a midnight high of 57. That still would have broken the record low max had it occurred yesterday or tomorrow...today was the toughest day of any within a week for a record low max there.

Yeah that's too bad. Still, today is pretty impressive. Actually was cooler here than in Andover.

Maybe even December?

:lol:

altho ... I did barb the sarcastic jest that we could roll-out a whopper R-wave replacement and end up riding the tip of the cosmic D 'till spring.   

might even be poetic justice for the spin tacticians that ruin every summer; this one being no exception, further enabled by the odd-ball pattern.  

Nah, tho - I think this winter takes us behind the shed.... it may be warm and obnoxious for  stint here and there, but I'm not convinced the 18 mo N/A cool assault has finished.  Time will tell...  Last winter was one of the coldest for parts of the U.S.. beating out some Maunder Minimums... ha!  Yet it was the 4th hottest planetary observed demo, suggesting a climate apocalypse is nearing like a freight-train toward a deaf man!  

Nice.  One of the power broker nations as the possible spear head for human awareness about the smelliness of the proverbial sh!t they pollute this planet with ... (giving rise to GW if it does or doesn't (no comment)) and we get our perceptions cloaked by a local-scaled climate lie. That's should be written on the epitaph of humanity's headstone should it all come to an end. 

Not to wildly digress ... which it is clearly too late ... I think with 7+ billion souls on this world, you couldn't eradicate a viable gene pool. You could blood curdle the masses down to just 100,000 people ... still, plenty enough for viability, and have it be the greatest extinction event in the history of Earth.   I don't think any species in that scary 99% statistic that's gone by the doo-doo, had 7,000,000,001 to start -- that's gotta skew the odds somehow. 

But who knows.  I like the sense of a warm 2.43 weeks, followed by the first time since Krakatoa that winter arrives around October 20th and DOESN'T do like 2012: Give way to a 2nd green-up in November :axe:   

While we are not on the subject ... 2001, Nova Scotia, 10' of snow pack ;)   I gotta figure at some point we're good for 5' of pack at our latitude -- just a matter of time, assuming it happens before the sun expands in a billion years.

That's a new one...pondering how the gene pool would still be viable if we eliminated 99.9% of the population. :lol:

Tip, we've come sort of close to 5 feet of snowpack at our latitude in the interior (talking below 1500 feet...not on the crest of a 2500 foot peak in the Berkshires)....2001 in the interior had about 50 inches...1966 I believe got into the low 40s and so did 1961. Of course, 2011 flirted with 36-40" for a time...if only we had gotten that "one more blockbuster storm" before the thaw...it always seems like that. January 1996 after the 1/12 interior storm, I had about 45 inches on the level. That and 2001 were my two personal bests...with early Feb 2011 being 3rd...this is of course not counting those winters mentioned in the '60s before my time.

You figure one of these years, we'll get the 30" snowstorm on top of a foot of pack...then it actually won't thaw and we'll get another couple big ones....or maybe we'll just get that Dec 1992 without the rain and about 3F colder. :lol:

That's a new one...pondering how the gene pool would still be viable if we eliminated 99.9% of the population. :lol:

Tip, we've come sort of close to 5 feet of snowpack at our latitude in the interior (talking below 1500 feet...not on the crest of a 2500 foot peak in the Berkshires)....2001 in the interior had about 50 inches...1966 I believe got into the low 40s and so did 1961. Of course, 2011 flirted with 36-40" for a time...if only we had gotten that "one more blockbuster storm" before the thaw...it always seems like that. January 1996 after the 1/12 interior storm, I had about 45 inches on the level. That and 2001 were my two personal bests...with early Feb 2011 being 3rd...this is of course not counting those winters mentioned in the '60s before my time.

You figure one of these years, we'll get the 30" snowstorm on top of a foot of pack...then it actually won't thaw and we'll get another couple big ones....or maybe we'll just get that Dec 1992 without the rain and about 3F colder. :lol:

It's funny because it's true... 99.9% of humanity is ...shall we put it delicately, unnecessary - yonk yonk.

That Dec even in 1992 ... Harvey and I once mused how Brockton received nearly a foot of snow after 5 and a half inches of rain.

But I've lived in Acton, Lowell, Waltham (which doesn't really count) and now Ayer... I've never seen more than 34" sustained in any location, but these are just a wee bit less in altitude than 1,200+  ha!     

49.4 now. C'mon high pressure

Not sure why it matters but I'll bite ...

We may have trouble getting chilly tonight (tho I'm not talking warm evening by any stretch)

Even here in the nadir of the Nashoba Valley where I reside ... trees are already gently swaying in the SOUTH wind.  It'll be a race between decoupling and return flow setting up.  But as I outlined earlier, said return comes in like a knife like ...right now.  The majority of reputable guidance types had rate of velocity change over the course of 50 miles going from 2 to 25kts, at 800mb level, in just an hour or two.  So we are warming it up just off the deck pretty fast going forward....

It'll be a lusty sexy night for some excruciating nerd to monitor that  

Yeah tip. I'll have to take a look and see what the best I can find is for the lower elevations. Obviously my numbers were from ORH which retains the pack better with the colder daytime highs.

Back in the present. You can feel the temps already plummeting..esp in the lengthening shadows. Gonna be some perfect rad conditions for the first few hours tonight

Not sure why it matters but I'll bite ...

We may have trouble getting chilly tonight (tho I'm not talking warm evening by any stretch)

Even here in the nadir of the Nashoba Valley where I reside ... trees are already gently swaying in the SOUTH wind. It'll be a race between decoupling and return flow setting up. But as I outlined earlier, said return comes in like a knife like ...right now. The majority of reputable guidance types had rate of velocity change over the course of 50 miles going from 2 to 25kts, at 800mb level, in just an hour or two. So we are warming it up just off the deck pretty fast going forward....

It'll be a lusty sexy night for some excruciating nerd to monitor that

Yeah. But is just a tease and will be tempered. But it is a bit interesting vs the dullness of the last couple of months overall

What a pattern turn around this month has been. I think the drastic change has been fascinating...air conditioning at the beginning of the month, and now regular heat needed this past week.

The last 7 days (prior to today) have averaged -9.9 up here at MVL...completely over-whelming the torch start. Now -1.4 on the month and I'm sure today will lower that more.

Bipolar month with three days of +10 or higher departures, and four days of -10 or lower haha.

Archived