Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they want to switch places to live I would be more then happy to move lol

They are dry out there. Awesome cold shots and some epic ground blizzards...but most of interior SNE averages more snow than them. So I think I'd stay put. Depends what you like more though...

Only person here I think that would switch more snow for a ground blizzard is Ginx.. Dendrite would go there for the epic cold

I dunno, my guess is dendrite likes his synoptic snows and snow pack too much to sacrifice for the awesome cold readings. Agree that ginx would be in heaven with his drift fetish. He would have thousands of blurry pics of drifts next to fences and roads.

Metherb is a cold weenie...he might go there for the -30F temps in winter.

I dunno, my guess is dendrite likes his synoptic snows and snow pack too much to sacrifice for the awesome cold readings. Agree that ginx would be in heaven with his drift fetish. 

Metherb is a cold weenie...he might go there for the -30F temps in winter.

:lmao: I've never seen anyone get off on ground blizzards like him

I dunno, my guess is dendrite likes his synoptic snows and snow pack too much to sacrifice for the awesome cold readings. Agree that ginx would be in heaven with his drift fetish. He would have thousands of blurry pics of drifts next to fences and roads.

lol...the blurry photo is his calling card. I think most of us would like more regular snows over bitter cold and wind. Even last year showed how the majority of us do enjoy the deep cold but it has to snow some too. Like SNE last March...deep deep cold but no snow, or here in January with sub-zero shots between rain storms. Brutal cold is only useful if it leads to a snowstorm or is following a snowstorm.

:lmao: I've never seen anyone get off on ground blizzards like him

He should try the Trans-Canada downstream of Quebec City, on a windy late winter day when the St.Lawrence is mostly frozen.   The feeder roads are even more fun, as unlike the TC they aren't elevated.  Not photogenic, however, unless one likes seeing the inside of a pingpong ball.

Yeah fluff is great for skiing and snowboarding and satisfies the inner-weenie when you know the synoptic bomb isn't coming...but you need to at least have the chance for that 1.5" QPF northeast synoptic snow.

The more I get older, the more I appreciate big events. 1-3" events are nice, but can get boring. It's the big events and the challenge they present that make them so much fun.

The more I get older, the more I appreciate big events. 1-3" events are nice, but can get boring. It's the big events and the challenge they present that make them so much fun.

Nothing like some good 2-3 inch per hour rates that actually last. Those really only occur in the QPF bombs...they also occur in lake effect and upslope regions...but even in lake effect during college, I never got the same satisfaction. Something about the synoptic bombs. Maybe it was when the LES was over, it looked like half the amount of snow fell 6 hours later. I dunno what it was but it didn't quite feel the same.

Though I'll certainly take that over nothing.

Nothing like some good 2-3 inch per hour rates that actually last. Those really only occur in the QPF bombs...they also occur in lake effect and upslope regions...but even in lake effect during college, I never got the same satisfaction. Something about the synoptic bombs. Maybe it was when the LES was over, it looked like half the amount of snow fell 6 hours later. I dunno what it was but it didn't quite feel the same.

Though I'll certainly take that over nothing.

Yeah of course getting in a 30-50dbz monster band in a synoptic event is the best there is...like Feb 2013 for you guys, or Feb 2007 here when you are getting 12" in 3 hours with high wind.

My love of upslope is skiing related in that there is no better skiing than 1-3 feet of fluff. I fact, nor'easter snow sometimes sucks to ski in although it's good for the base. Valentines Day 2007 was the single largest quantity of snow I've seen fall on the mountain but the skiing wasn't that good. It was wind packed, uneven with huge drifts, struggle to ski. A month later the St Patricks day storm dropped 12-14" of dense synoptic snow, but then 2 feet of backside upslope. That was worlds better skiing than Valentines Day.

Whereas the Feb 2012 36" upslope event was the single best ski conditions I've ever seen, haha.

I'm torn because I love synoptic storms like everyone for the snowpack aspect, but skiing after an upslope storm is hard to beat. I also love the meso-scale side of it and the intricacies in forecasting it...just like the Eastern Mass guys go nuts over any ocean effect snow chances...it may be fluff but it's a cool phenomenon in your backyard.

If I didn't ski I can see where you guys don't get the joy over fluffy snow. If I had 1" of QPF coming, I'd prefer 18" of cotton candy over 10" of paste just for that reason.

Fluff can be fun.

Archived