• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

I think Ginx liked the day after December 2003 more than the storm itself. Crystal clear skies but raging ground blizzards. Rolls of film emptied on drift pics.

I liked the day after 12/21/09, Sun shining 45 mph winds with 8 to 10 foot drifts, I like the storms better but why not enjoy the drifting too. Its great to live within a couple miles of some of the best setups for drifting in CT. 700 ft Elevation with a mile long cornfield orientation NW to SE.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing like some good 2-3 inch per hour rates that actually last. Those really only occur in the QPF bombs...they also occur in lake effect and upslope regions...but even in lake effect during college, I never got the same satisfaction. Something about the synoptic bombs. Maybe it was when the LES was over, it looked like half the amount of snow fell 6 hours later. I dunno what it was but it didn't quite feel the same.

Though I'll certainly take that over nothing.

Yeah there is nothing like it, such an adrenaline rush. The good thing is that usually a lot of people are having fun with you so it's always fun when others weenie out along with you.

That's where we disagree. i get as hot and bothered by 1-3 inches as i do by 8-36..All snow is good snow

LOL no way. You do not get the same feeling for 3" of snow vs. 30". I love snow as well, but I always found that grass through an inch of snow is annoying. I don't know, something annoying seeing that grass still come through the snow. I just want to see it covered. Seeing grass might as well be bare in my eyes. Where I do appreciate 1-3" snowfalls a lot more, is if there is already snow OTG . Refreshers are always nice.

Nothing like some good 2-3 inch per hour rates that actually last. Those really only occur in the QPF bombs...they also occur in lake effect and upslope regions...but even in lake effect during college, I never got the same satisfaction. Something about the synoptic bombs. Maybe it was when the LES was over, it looked like half the amount of snow fell 6 hours later. I dunno what it was but it didn't quite feel the same.

Though I'll certainly take that over nothing.

last year was the 3-4 per hour king

I dunno, my guess is dendrite likes his synoptic snows and snow pack too much to sacrifice for the awesome cold readings. Agree that ginx would be in heaven with his drift fetish. He would have thousands of blurry pics of drifts next to fences and roads.

Metherb is a cold weenie...he might go there for the -30F temps in winter.

lol...yeah but I'll take Quebec or northern Maine for the added snow.  There's open areas that rival the plains in some places.

LOL no way. You do not get the same feeling for 3" of snow vs. 30". I love snow as well, but I always found that grass through an inch of snow is annoying. I don't know, something annoying seeing that grass still come through the snow. I just want to see it covered. Seeing grass might as well be bare in my eyes. Where I do appreciate 1-3" snowfalls a lot more, is if there is already snow OTG . Refreshers are always nice.

I feel the same way though I don't mind have some white if we're going to have a good cold spell.  Better albedo, lol.  I also don't mind the smaller events if there are a lot of them every couple of days.  It's easy clean up and they can add up.

Last mowing of year , drop the blade to 1 inch. Although this year with the drought our grass will be dust and dirt so just tarp the lawn

lol...yeah but I'll take Quebec or northern Maine for the added snow. There's open areas that rival the plains in some places.

I feel the same way though I don't mind have some white if we're going to have a good cold spell. Better albedo, lol. I also don't mind the smaller events if there are a lot of them every couple of days. It's easy clean up and they can add up.

Yeah they can be fun, but just give me something better than 2" if I have bare grass. :lol:

Yeah of course getting in a 30-50dbz monster band in a synoptic event is the best there is...like Feb 2013 for you guys, or Feb 2007 here when you are getting 12" in 3 hours with high wind.

My love of upslope is skiing related in that there is no better skiing than 1-3 feet of fluff. I fact, nor'easter snow sometimes sucks to ski in although it's good for the base. Valentines Day 2007 was the single largest quantity of snow I've seen fall on the mountain but the skiing wasn't that good. It was wind packed, uneven with huge drifts, struggle to ski. A month later the St Patricks day storm dropped 12-14" of dense synoptic snow, but then 2 feet of backside upslope. That was worlds better skiing than Valentines Day.

Whereas the Feb 2012 36" upslope event was the single best ski conditions I've ever seen, haha.

I'm torn because I love synoptic storms like everyone for the snowpack aspect, but skiing after an upslope storm is hard to beat. I also love the meso-scale side of it and the intricacies in forecasting it...just like the Eastern Mass guys go nuts over any ocean effect snow chances...it may be fluff but it's a cool phenomenon in your backyard.

If I didn't ski I can see where you guys don't get the joy over fluffy snow. If I had 1" of QPF coming, I'd prefer 18" of cotton candy over 10" of paste just for that reason.

Fluff can be fun.

I have never caught the powder fetish as a skier, even though I've skied in some pretty top notch stuff in Colorado...so it probably has also influenced by lack of fear about synoptic snows on the mountain.

As for non-skiing...powder does nothing for me except it can be pretty for a brief time as it falls and right after when it is stacked up on the everything....then a day later it is all compacted which sucks. :lol:

I have never caught the powder fetish as a skier, even though I've skied in some pretty top notch stuff in Colorado...so it probably has also influenced by lack of fear about synoptic snows on the mountain.

Yeah powder skiing is pretty much the reason I ski...as I'm sure you've all noticed from pictures, the majority of the time is spent off groomed trails, usually in the woods haha. 

Talk about light snow, Colorado ski areas don't get many snowstorms with less than like 15:1 ratios...the difference between the Rockies and Sierra in snow quality and quantity is funny.  I'm sure most on here would wonder why folks would choose 250-300" of fluff to 500" of cement, but its just more enjoyable to ski in.  As for if you didn't ski and just wanted to watch heavy wet snow pile up, you'd pick the Sierra.

I'm fine with fluff. Nothing like that crystalline look. I never gave much of a crap for snowpack. Even in the woods it turns grayish in warm spells and needs refreshing. Just keep snows coming. Start with 2-4, the a week later 12-18, then a few weeks go by and we get 24-30. Then a thaw melts all of it. You wouldn't take that for the thrill of all the multiple events?

I'm fine with fluff. Nothing like that crystalline look. I never gave much of a crap for snowpack. Even in the woods it turns grayish in warm spells and needs refreshing. Just keep snows coming. Start with 2-4, the a week later 12-18, then a few weeks go by and we get 24-30. Then a thaw melts all of it. You wouldn't take that for the thrill of all the multiple events?

If it was that often, sure...lol.

Try getting 10" of fluff and then not much for 2 weeks or just flurries...then it sucks!!! I've lived both sides of the coin...the snow with some "meat" to it with pack retention in ORH and the ITH climate which averages a similar amount, but much fluffier and more frequent and less retention. You know what its like there...though comparing to Boston is not really on a level playing field...need to go to interior SNE to compare appropriately.

If I lived on the spine of the Green Mountains, I'm sure I'd love the fluff a lot more given its frequency there. As soon as someone discovers a job for me up there that pays as much as Boston does, then I'm all ears. :lol:

If i lived where you do i probably wouldn't care for pack either as it would be more of a nuisance then useful

If it was that often, sure...lol.

Try getting 10" of fluff and then not much for 2 weeks or just flurries...then it sucks!!! I've lived both sides of the coin...the snow with some "meat" to it with pack retention in ORH and the ITH climate which averages a similar amount, but much fluffier and more frequent and less retention. You know what its like there...though comparing to Boston is not really on a level playing field...need to go to interior SNE to compare appropriately.

If I lived on the spine of the Green Mountains, I'm sure I'd love the fluff a lot more given its frequency there. As soon as someone discovers a job for me up there that pays as much as Boston does, then I'm all ears. :lol:

The years I was in Ithaca typically featured snow cover thanksgiving to spring. I was there in feast times while you had famine years later.

Archived