• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
12z Models 12/20/2010

Here is the rule of thumb that usually works for me

1) If the euro shows a storm and the GFS dosent, it usually ends up that there is not a storm

2) If the GFS shows a storm and the EURO dosent, there will not be a storm

3) If the euro and the gfs both show a storm,the euro depiction of it usually ends up correct

i think we are looking at #3

Depends on the time frame you're looking at. If I remember correctly, at some point the Euro showed a hit and the GFS went OTS for the 12/19/10 system.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the time frame you're looking at. If I remember correctly, at some point the Euro showed a hit and the GFS went OTS for the 12/19/10 system.

very briefly in the long range then one or two burbs in the short range

Do you even know what your looking at? Sure the Euro is a slight outlier but not as much as it was when comparing it to the 12z models. The GGEM looks to me like the 00z GFS and comprises the SE cluster of solutions.

and actually the HPC discussion from this morning did not favor the idea of the storm being NW and close to the coast and destroying SNE...they preferred a more southerly offshore track siding with the ensemble means of the Euro and GFS over the op of either model. they seemed skeptical this thing would even ride up the coast and hit NE at all.

quick question, i ve heard alot these past few days about how this storm is easier to have happen as depicted by the euro than this past weekends storm, id like to know if and why that is. the only reasoning i can come up with is that nao is not that overpowering as it was before therefore giving the storm a chance to phase sooner and come up the coast, thank you.

and actually the HPC discussion from this morning did not favor the idea of the storm being NW and close to the coast and destroying SNE...they preferred a more southerly offshore track siding with the ensemble means of the Euro and GFS over the op of either model. they seemed skeptical this thing would even ride up the coast and hit NE at all.

I'm not saying that the 00z Euro will verify but its not as big of an outlier as some are saying here. The NOAGPS is on board now and the GFS took massive steps in the right direction. Take a look at this link http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/tpm/emchurr/tcgen/ it shows the 12z Surface low tracks. Click on the GFS and then compare it to 06z. Much smoother track and just NW of the Benchmark. I'm not quite understanding why some people on here are saying that the Euro is all by itself.

quick question, i ve heard alot these past few days about how this storm is easier to have happen as depicted by the euro than this past weekends storm, id like to know if and why that is. the only reasoning i can come up with is that nao is not that overpowering as it was before therefore giving the storm a chance to phase sooner and come up the coast, thank you.

Look back at the 00z model discussion. You will find your answers their

The HPC prelim discussion from this morning also thought the 00z ECMWF was too slow with the SW energy...when the 12z GFS trended very close to that idea.

I think the NOGAPS being so wound-up says something. With the GFS and GGEM so progressive you'd think the NOGAPS would be super-supressed.

Whenever i have seen Nogaps with a solution of 2 that destroyed the east coast, there has usually been a storm. That Nogaps run is alarmingly good for us

I think the NOGAPS being so wound-up says something. With the GFS and GGEM so progressive you'd think the NOGAPS would be super-supressed.

Perhaps you might be better off sitting back and reading for awhile...it was a good place to be having the previous runs of the NOGAPS well OTS with its fast bias because since it was close to the GFS prior runs it showed that perhaps the GFS was too fast. Now that the GFS has slowed down a tad and that the NOGAPS has as well it still indicates that the GFS is still slightly too progresive...but even as it stands, the 12z GFS was just NW of the benchmark and its in perfect position.

So...much...modelology.

I think what folks ought to do -- and this is what I plan to do -- is turn off the computer till Wednesday night. Check the models then. If it still shows a storm, then I'd get excited. In the meantime, enjoy the shortest day of the year and upcoming holidays or something.

"Storm mode" guys....come on.

It'll be interesting to see what ultimately happens to the "little PV" that drops in from the NNE late in the game....I would think this is pretty poorly sampled at this time.

considering that we have seen the PV shift hundreds, if not a thousand miles from one run to the next, within 100 hours of an event.........

yes.

Archived