• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

I'll just go away now. Start your own ski season thread next August. I thought I was contributing useful information. One less female on the board won't hurt anything. Im sure no one was interested in my first hand conditions reports from the base/summit of Pico during winter anyway. Have fun with your stupid f'n hot dogs.

I enjoy the posts. Don't take the hater's bait.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just go away now. Start your own ski season thread next August. I thought I was contributing useful information. One less female on the board won't hurt anything. Im sure no one was interested in my first hand conditions reports from the base/summit of Pico during winter anyway. Have fun with your stupid f'n hot dogs.

I totally get that ski it to the end feeling. Please continue giving reports. Doing what you love and having passion and sharing that passion is pretty awesome.

We aren't doing it to say we did it. But we do enjoy every minute. Spring is when the bumps are best. I guess it must be like when the waves are big and awesome.

yep exactly, many times in early October when all the YAHOOS are back in their cities we had the ocean all to ourselves. Warm water huge waves. Good times

Not sure how this got turned into a gender argument? Relax. I did mention it was free and was all about marketing. I think you took it too personally.

Not a dude but I am a bump skier. Skied almost all day Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Had an awesome time! Spent approximately 40 hours at Killington between skiing 6-9 hours each day and celebrating with friends after until sunset and beyond. You either get it or you don't. I had fun. Maybe you wouldn't. To each their own.

I'm also not a dude...and my love for skiing far surpasses my ability...but I love the ski thread and reading posts from others who love skiing...

Did you ski this year? Pretty crass and out of line post. You don't get it

Ginxy you are right and thank to the rest of you guys for convincing me to hang around. That was pretty out of line. I don't work for Killington. We dropped $2400 on season passes for me and my snowboarder husband on Saturday just like everyone else. We just love it. Yesterday was a tough day. We know it's over and that June 1st will be 1/2 walking at least. But we plan to hike up Saturday and Sunday to ski then do the last day thing Monday. I'm sick of people saying move on. Especially on a thread dedicated to skiing. Every serious skier understands how tough the end is. With 95 days in VT and a full time job in another state we have spent the last 7 months putting all our time and energy into skiing as much as possible. We go through withdrawal. It's a serious bummer for a week or two. None of us need someone saying stupid stuff like that right now.

Lol. Don't let em get to ya. Some don't have the sickness (and I mean that as a compliment).

If I lived closer I would be out there. Spring bumps are the best.

Wish I had the money/time to ski in the Southern Hemisphere in the summer.

Portillo is a couple thousand for a 7 night rental and skiing, plane tix not included. Definitely pricey, but you could spend that here depending on where you go.

I am seriously considering going with the wifey sometime soon... maybe a big El Nino will dump down there this summer. It is a little bit hard to get her to embrace the idea of spending Labor Day in deep deep snow, but I am working on it.

I guess I missed the fracas Zucker sometimes acts foolish..

I experienced a mini version of the very late season Killington thing at Wachusett when they opened May 2 and then went into the withdrawal thing. I actually had that twice since they originally closed April 12 then surprised us

SkiVt2, please post more. I enjoy your reports

Me too...wish I had money to spend entire winters out west too. :lol:

One thing was true this year though....spring skiing was excellent.

Not for 'nothing, but a few weeks ago, it appeared my son was going to have a gap before starting college in january, so we did some research on "gap" programs and I found some mighty interesting stuff, not just for kids.  http://www.nonstopsnow.com/ski-career-break

woh!  I don't think those posts were intended to be offensive.  I took them as a joke.

anyway, I appreciate your reports for one, so don't go away, please.

Ginxy you are right and thank to the rest of you guys for convincing me to hang around. That was pretty out of line. I don't work for Killington. We dropped $2400 on season passes for me and my snowboarder husband on Saturday just like everyone else. We just love it. Yesterday was a tough day. We know it's over and that June 1st will be 1/2 walking at least. But we plan to hike up Saturday and Sunday to ski then do the last day thing Monday. I'm sick of people saying move on. Especially on a thread dedicated to skiing. Every serious skier understands how tough the end is. With 95 days in VT and a full time job in another state we have spent the last 7 months putting all our time and energy into skiing as much as possible. We go through withdrawal. It's a serious bummer for a week or two. None of us need someone saying stupid stuff like that right now.

I guess I owe you an apology then.  Didnt mean to offend you at all.  As you are probably aware, I too put some serious time and effort round tripping from Ny to the MRV from november to May so I hear you about being bummed that the seasons over.  My wife gets into a funk at the end too.

Portillo is a couple thousand for a 7 night rental and skiing, plane tix not included. Definitely pricey, but you could spend that here depending on where you go.

I am seriously considering going with the wifey sometime soon... maybe a big El Nino will dump down there this summer. It is a little bit hard to get her to embrace the idea of spending Labor Day in deep deep snow, but I am working on it.

I have a friend who goes to Portillo every August and loves it.

Yeah I'm the only one that works for a ski resort on here... but if its possible to imagine, I would probably be pushing "Stowe's the best" a lot more if I were just a regular skier there.  I was much more passionate about my home mountain on the web prior to working here...now I just try to post weather observations, photos, things people might find interesting from day to day life at a mountain, without trying to come off as overly pushy. 

Folks like you and your husband are amazing in that you hold full-time jobs in another state and still make it a priority to get up there every week all winter.  Its not about the skiing at this point, its about the ski family you develop at the mountain and knowing you won't be having those good times for another few months.  The revolving cast of characters that locals at a mountain have as their "ski family" who are there with them all season long... everyone has that almost separation anxiety from getting their ski fix and their social fix.  Skiing is an extremely social sport for an "individual sport". 

I used to get actually depressed when ski season was over when I lived in Albany, NY...skiing was like my weekend escape to the mountains, and I just loathed living in the valley in suburbia sprawl.  I knew it would be months before I'd escape again.  Ever since moving to Stowe, it hasn't bothered me at all when ski season ends.  It'll be back next year and I don't have to leave the mountain lifestyle.  Still get to play on the mountain, this time of season its just with ATV's, 6-wheelers, snowcats without tracks, etc.  The cast of characters that I ski with all winter, we just go biking and hiking together now.  If there's still snow we'll all hike it together in the spring and again in October when the first snow falls.  Mountain creek swimming holes, games of beach volleyball at Cactus Cafe, sunsets over Mansfield at like 8:30pm, long days sitting in a folding chair in the river watching the dogs play, etc.  Summer in a ski town is just as good as winter in a lot of respects. 

Do you and your husband ever think of just up and moving to Killington?  You seem like you belong there.  Follow those dreams of that year-round lifestyle.

Powder freak you are right. We do belong there and the majority of our friends have some connection there so it is the whole moutain lifestyle and group of friends too that we miss. We do have a year round apartment in VT so we can go there anytime. Jobs in VT are scarce and being poor in VT would be extra terrible so for now we have to spend some part of most weeks in the flatlands. Plus the 'rents have a small cottage on the Cape and salt water is addictive as well. It takes a few weeks to get over winter. Come solstice through Labor Day we fish for striper, fluke, and Black sea bass in Cape cod bay and Nantucket sound in our B Whaler on the weekends. Anyone for weekly water temp, wind or wave reports? Haha. In September we go back to VT. I'm not a weather expert like the rest of you guys but we spend so much time outside observing weather and being affected by it that I really appreciate all the hard work you guys put into this place. If I can contribute just a little bit by providing observations that might not otherwise be available then that's awesome. Thanks to all you guys (except NZucker)for making me feel welcome!

Powder freak you are right. We do belong there and the majority of our friends have some connection there so it is the whole moutain lifestyle and group of friends too that we miss. We do have a year round apartment in VT so we can go there anytime. Jobs in VT are scarce and being poor in VT would be extra terrible so for now we have to spend some part of most weeks in the flatlands. Plus the 'rents have a small cottage on the Cape and salt water is addictive as well. It takes a few weeks to get over winter. Come solstice through Labor Day we fish for striper, fluke, and Black sea bass in Cape cod bay and Nantucket sound in our B Whaler on the weekends. Anyone for weekly water temp, wind or wave reports? Haha. In September we go back to VT. I'm not a weather expert like the rest of you guys but we spend so much time outside observing weather and being affected by it that I really appreciate all the hard work you guys put into this place. If I can contribute just a little bit by providing observations that might not otherwise be available then that's awesome. Thanks to all you guys (except NZucker)for making me feel welcome!

Will you marry me, lol jk, damn lady you fish too, sweet. Get out and enjoy it, it's what it's all about and it goes by fast, believe me.

I've only skied Killington once...but it was enough for me to know perhaps it wasn't the mountain for me...but glad you found a mtn you love...although, i have been on a mission for the perfect hotwing and the only place that i have found that i would go back to is a bar down the road from the main lift at Killington...i'd go back just for the wings...

you or Ginxy care to recommend  some good spots for striper fishing? i'm trying to find a good spot to take a friend

I've only skied Killington once...but it was enough for me to know perhaps it wasn't the mountain for me...but glad you found a mtn you love...although, i have been on a mission for the perfect hotwing and the only place that i have found that i would go back to is a bar down the road from the main lift at Killington...i'd go back just for the wings...

you or Ginxy care to recommend some good spots for striper fishing? i'm trying to find a good spot to take a friend

ah, Watch Hill lighthouse, Weekapaug Breachways, Narragansett. Practically any rocky outcropping. Check this

http://www.onthewater.com/regions/rhode-island/

Yeah I love the mountains....but the finances keep me close to Boston. Just the way it is with many people....obviously some are fortunate enough to find decent income sources closer by, and more power to them.

If I had my choice all to myself with no worry about finances, I'd probably be somewhere like Rangeley ME in NE or out west in a place like Telluride or Jackson Hole.

Yeah I love the mountains....but the finances keep me close to Boston. Just the way it is with many people....obviously some are fortunate enough to find decent income sources closer by, and more power to them.

If I had my choice all to myself with no worry about finances, I'd probably be somewhere like Rangeley ME in NE or out west in a place like Telluride or Jackson Hole.

I am thinking about selling weed at the Burlington Waterfront ;).

Archived