• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Banter 2014

mackerel_sky

Yeah that sucks. He had a shoulder injury, right?

Indeed  :(  

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State senior quarterback Braxton Miller re-injured his right shoulder attempting a short pass in practice Monday and will miss the 2014 football season. Miller, who was not hit on the play, was in the process of returning from off-season surgery in February for an injury sustained in the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl. This latest injury will require surgery.

"My thoughts and prayers are with Braxton and his family," Ohio State head coach Urban Meyersaid. "This is an unfortunate injury to a young man who means so much to this program and to Buckeye nation."

"I love Ohio State and Buckeye nation, and my goal is to come back from this injury stronger and better than ever," Miller said. "I am on course to graduate in December and I want to attend graduate school, and then return to lead the Buckeyes next season. In the meantime, I want to give all the support I can to my coaches and teammates as they chase a championship this season."

Miller, a communications major, did not practice this spring and had been limited by athletic trainers and coaches in the number of throws he was making this fall. Third-year sophomoreCardale Jones and red-shirt freshman J.T. Barrett took turns behind center with the No. 1 offense when Miller was not on the field.

Miller, who has yet to take a red-shirt season, entered his senior season with 5,292 career passing yards and 3,054 rushing yards to rank ninth and eighth, respectively, in school history and with the prospects of holding close to 20 school records. His 8,346 total yards and 84 touchdowns responsible for are each second in school annals. His 52 touchdown passes are fourth at Ohio State and just six from the school record. 

spacer.gif

Miller, 26-8 as a starting quarterback, also entered his senior season as a viable contender for all of the major national awards. His seven Big Ten Conference individual awards, including consecutive Chicago Tribune MVPs, Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year awards and Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year awards, are the most in conference history.

It was previously announced by Meyer on Saturday that Barrett, a 6-1, 225-pounder from Wichita Falls, Texas, had moved ahead of Jones for the No. 2 quarterback spot.

Jones, a 6-5, 250-pounder from Cleveland, is the only quarterback on the roster with any game experience. He played 39 snaps from scrimmage last season in games vs. Florida A&M, Penn State and Purdue.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed   :(

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State senior quarterback Braxton Miller re-injured his right shoulder attempting a short pass in practice Monday and will miss the 2014 football season. Miller, who was not hit on the play, was in the process of returning from off-season surgery in February for an injury sustained in the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl. This latest injury will require surgery.

"My thoughts and prayers are with Braxton and his family," Ohio State head coach Urban Meyersaid. "This is an unfortunate injury to a young man who means so much to this program and to Buckeye nation."

"I love Ohio State and Buckeye nation, and my goal is to come back from this injury stronger and better than ever," Miller said. "I am on course to graduate in December and I want to attend graduate school, and then return to lead the Buckeyes next season. In the meantime, I want to give all the support I can to my coaches and teammates as they chase a championship this season."

Miller, a communications major, did not practice this spring and had been limited by athletic trainers and coaches in the number of throws he was making this fall. Third-year sophomoreCardale Jones and red-shirt freshman J.T. Barrett took turns behind center with the No. 1 offense when Miller was not on the field.

Miller, who has yet to take a red-shirt season, entered his senior season with 5,292 career passing yards and 3,054 rushing yards to rank ninth and eighth, respectively, in school history and with the prospects of holding close to 20 school records. His 8,346 total yards and 84 touchdowns responsible for are each second in school annals. His 52 touchdown passes are fourth at Ohio State and just six from the school record. 

spacer.gif

Miller, 26-8 as a starting quarterback, also entered his senior season as a viable contender for all of the major national awards. His seven Big Ten Conference individual awards, including consecutive Chicago Tribune MVPs, Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year awards and Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year awards, are the most in conference history.

It was previously announced by Meyer on Saturday that Barrett, a 6-1, 225-pounder from Wichita Falls, Texas, had moved ahead of Jones for the No. 2 quarterback spot.

Jones, a 6-5, 250-pounder from Cleveland, is the only quarterback on the roster with any game experience. He played 39 snaps from scrimmage last season in games vs. Florida A&M, Penn State and Purdue.

That stinks.  Sorry to hear that.  We have a new QB this year who is supposed to be quite good.  However, NC State luck causes me to question his durability through the course the season.

I know its the long range GFS but if a tropical system hits the northern gulf like it shows and the remnants come over parts of NC it could get ugly. Lots of big rain totals over the last month around the state.

Just got in and saw that and posted in the main thread right before I read your post.  Yeah, with all the recent rain, things could get bad, if we do get a tropical system in here.  At least in the near/medium term, it doesn't look like a lot of flooding potential.

I don't get the point of the "NC board" comments in the main thread.

We have more NC posters than any other state in the SE, so of course there is always going to be more imby comments from this area.

I've heard this is a "NC board" for more years than I care to remember....lol. The truth is, if the people from all of the other states that have become members would start posting, we would have comments/etc about the entire SE, but that just hasn't happened yet. I've watched us (the se crew) grow from just about 10 total posters,not even having a thread, to finally making one only to struggle to keep this thread on the first page of the board. Now we have our own forum.  :D   Each year, those that have lurked start contributing and we continue to grow.  :wub:    

I miss those days  :(  

Indeed :(

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State senior quarterback Braxton Miller re-injured his right shoulder attempting a short pass in practice Monday and will miss the 2014 football season. Miller, who was not hit on the play, was in the process of returning from off-season surgery in February for an injury sustained in the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl. This latest injury will require surgery.

"My thoughts and prayers are with Braxton and his family," Ohio State head coach Urban Meyersaid. "This is an unfortunate injury to a young man who means so much to this program and to Buckeye nation."

Miller, a communications major, did not practice this spring and had been limited by athletic trainers and coaches in the number of throws he was making this fall. Third-year sophomoreCardale Jones and red-shirt freshman J.T. Barrett took turns behind center with the No. 1 offense when Miller was not on the field.

spacer.gif

They should be fine only one game with a top 10 team.

I don't get the point of the "NC board" comments in the main thread.

I think "Mayretta" (as Tony would say) is just pining for more active posters from his neck of the woods.  It's difficult for me to get too excited about Georgia weather just as it's difficult for him to get overly excited about North Carolina weather.

GA is now #8 in population among the US states, and NC is #10.  So, it's impressive that we outnumber our GA counterparts quite a bit on this forum, but it probably has a lot to do with the fact that our winter weather is typically more exciting than the weather of the majority of the state of GA.  (Yes, I know there are mountains in GA too.)

Is this still a weather forum!? :)

I sure hope so   :ph34r:

Are you kidding?  They just released their schedule.

Shush it mister  :P    It's about the playoff's now, they just have to get there  :lol:  

Ummmm....btw....could someone conjure up a nice little tropical system while I'm in Savannah next week  B)  :guitar:

Ummmm....btw....could someone conjure up a nice little tropical system while I'm in Savannah next week  B)  :guitar:

Ummmm, watch for what you wish. I kind of would prefer my house as well as the homes belonging to family to stay intact as selfish as that may seem. ;)

Wrong Calculus! The weather in Waycross is so much more exciting than any place in NC.

It seems like GA is the most safest state to live in weather wise. Protected from epic Hurricanes, tornadoes, snowstorms, icestorms, and floods most of the times.

Can you show me where my calculus was incorrect?  I thought I computed things quite well.

Oh.  Wait.  You must have meant:  Wrong, Calculus!  A statement of address.

This is like Burns' favorite example:  Let's eat, Grandpa! versus Let's eat Grandpa!

Oh, and to your point, the weather in Waycross is much too predictable:  there will be no snow in winter, there will be horrendously hot days in summer, and there will be very little rainfall when it is forecasted but lots when it is not.  :)

But, I think you're right in your description of the safety and corresponding boredom of weather in southeast Georgia.  :P

This feels political, like the hotbutton phrase class warfare.  I think you're trying to instigate state warfare here.  You're going to have to take that to the Political Roundtable forum, sir, if you wish to further this discussion.  :D

Wrong Calculus! The weather in Waycross is so much more exciting than any place in NC.

It seems like GA is the most safest state to live in weather wise. Protected from epic Hurricanes, tornadoes, snowstorms, icestorms, and floods most of the times.

Somehow, I don't really have a problem with the lack of epic hurricanes in GA lmao. I know I must be thought of as being insane to think that way. ;)

GA had had some epic hurricanes. However, they were mainly in the 1800's. The scary thing is that there will be more epic hits at some unknown points. I do consider the GA coast to have been lucky since then. David (1979) was a bad enough hit!

:lol:   If the schools are closed, I wouldn't be in Savannah   ;)    I did say a nice little tropical system after all   :icecream:

You did. :)  However, I'd prefer that you say nice "weak" tropical system because "little" can pack a punch. However, I know what you meant lol. ;)

Meanwhile, I have to really watch out for this crazy metalman, who is implying he wants an epic storm. ;) 

We have more NC posters than any other state in the SE, so of course there is always going to be more imby comments from this area.

I've heard this is a "NC board" for more years than I care to remember....lol. The truth is, if the people from all of the other states that have become members would start posting, we would have comments/etc about the entire SE, but that just hasn't happened yet. I've watched us (the se crew) grow from just about 10 total posters,not even having a thread, to finally making one only to struggle to keep this thread on the first page of the board. Now we have our own forum. :D Each year, those that have lurked start contributing and we continue to grow. :wub:

I miss those days :(

Yeah, I agree. Plus, t-storms are many times very localized, so it's hard for those unaffected by an isolated storm to get very excited. We'll see much more activity from more areas if we get a more wide-reaching weather event, like a tropical system. And of course, winter will wake up a ton of members and bring an influx of new posters, as it always does.

I've heard this is a "NC board" for more years than I care to remember....lol. The truth is, if the people from all of the other states that have become members would start posting, we would have comments/etc about the entire SE, but that just hasn't happened yet. I've watched us (the se crew) grow from just about 10 total posters,not even having a thread, to finally making one only to struggle to keep this thread on the first page of the board. Now we have our own forum.   :D   Each year, those that have lurked start contributing and we continue to grow.   :wub:    

I miss those days   :(

i think the real issue is nc always stealing the more exciting weather.  they probably post more cos they have more to post about most of the time :whistle:

lately in ga we seem to have loooong stretches of boring wx and not much to get excited about. but when active wx comes watch out (or should i say LOOKOUT ;) ha)

sigh, i miss the "good old days" too sometimes lol :weep:  i mean now we have a winter wx poster in way-down-south ga :bike:

i think the real issue is nc always stealing the more exciting weather.  they probably post more cos they have more to post about most of the time :whistle:

lately in ga we seem to have loooong stretches of boring wx and not much to get excited about. but when active wx comes watch out (or should i say LOOKOUT ;) ha)

sigh, i miss the "good old days" too sometimes lol :weep:  i mean now we have a winter wx poster in way-down-south ga :bike:

If this winter is anything even close to last winter in GA, I'll be thrilled. Besides the actual events, there were many threats to keep it interesting. Also, the CAD frequency/performance was about the best I could ever recall. We may have gotten spoiled!

In ATL, itself, the winters from 09-10 through 13-14 way overperfomed overall vs. averages despite the two quiet winters of 11-12 and 12-13. Just one look at the historical stats confirms this.

If this winter is anything even close to last winter in GA, I'll be thrilled. Besides the actual events, there were many threats to keep it interesting. Also, the CAD frequency/performance was about the best I could ever recall. We may have gotten spoiled!

In ATL, itself, the winters from 09-10 through 13-14 way overperfomed overall vs. averages despite the two quiet winters of 11-12 and 12-13.

Who can forget the Jan "Snowmageddon ", where 1-2 inches of snow shut down one of the biggest cities in the south! I think the frequency of the CADs this summer and the highs in good positions over SE Canada and the Great Lakes and NE, is very promising for the upcoming winter! Pair this with active STJ, it could indeed be a memorable winter! I learned that one inch of snow with temps in the mid 20s is alot more dangerous /problematic than 6-10 inches and temps in the upper 30s! :)

I learned that one inch of snow with temps in the mid 20s is alot more dangerous /problematic than 6-10 inches and temps in the upper 30s! :)

You can say that again!! Columbus, GA was shut down for a day and a half from that storm. Parts of me would want to see it again, but other parts of me want more snow.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see several inches of snow while I'm here... A Feb 1973 event would be AWESOME, though. Lol.

If this winter is anything even close to last winter in GA, I'll be thrilled. Besides the actual events, there were many threats to keep it interesting. Also, the CAD frequency/performance was about the best I could ever recall. We may have gotten spoiled!

In ATL, itself, the winters from 09-10 through 13-14 way overperfomed overall vs. averages despite the two quiet winters of 11-12 and 12-13. Just one look at the historical stats confirms this.

quiet is an understatement for 11-12 and 12-13. Those two winters were easily the worst winters in my lifetime, not to mention unbelievably warm, especially 11-12. It seems like these days, we either get a ridiculously warm winter with no chance of snow all winter, or we get a ridiculously cold winter with nonstop snow chances. Nothing in between.

Despite all of the snow events we've had in the last few years, I do think Atlanta is due for a major snowstorm. It's been like 30 years since harts field-Jackson has had more than 4" in a single storm. I know atlanta isn't a great city for snow lovers, but you would think the airport would have at least one snowstorm greater than 4" on a more frequent basis than every 30 years. And yes I know the north side gets so much more snow than the airport so don't tell me atlanta had a foot of snow in the 93 blizzard. It's amazing how 20 miles can make such a big difference, even in a city that's not near the ocean such as Atlanta. And it can't be an elevation thing because there's only a 100-200 difference in elevation between the airport and say Marietta.

quiet is an understatement for 11-12 and 12-13. Those two winters were easily the worst winters in my lifetime, not to mention unbelievably warm, especially 11-12. It seems like these days, we either get a ridiculously warm winter with no chance of snow all winter, or we get a ridiculously cold winter with nonstop snow chances. Nothing in between.

Despite all of the snow events we've had in the last few years, I do think Atlanta is due for a major snowstorm. It's been like 30 years since harts field-Jackson has had more than 4" in a single storm. I know atlanta isn't a great city for snow lovers, but you would think the airport would have at least one snowstorm greater than 4" on a more frequent basis than every 30 years. And yes I know the north side gets so much more snow than the airport so don't tell me atlanta had a foot of snow in the 93 blizzard. It's amazing how 20 miles can make such a big difference, even in a city that's not near the ocean such as Atlanta. And it can't be an elevation thing because there's only a 100-200 difference in elevation between the airport and say Marietta.

The bolded is not true.

KATL >4" in one storm last 30 years:

1/2011: 4.4"

3/2009: 4.2"

1/2002: 4.6"

3/1993: 4.2"

1/1992: 5.0"

1/1988: 4.2" (almost all IP, which means that this 4.2" was the equivalent of ~8-10" of snow)

So, KATL has had six >4" S/IP's in the last 30 years or about one every five years. This is actually very close to the longterm average. I consider snow of 3.5" to be major at KATL. I (in Dunwoody) did get ~~8" in the 3/1993 blizzard fwiw.

In addition, KATL has had FIVE major ZR's during the last 30 years. All five of these have been over the last 15 years or about one every three years since 2000. During that period, that was above the average frequency.

If you had said not >5", you would have been correct.

Archived