Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Early discussion Winter 2014/15

SACRUS

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know everyone is calling for a cold snowy winter but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the opposite. The solar spike isnt a good sign, isn't that partly why 2001-2002 turned out so warm?

We all believed last years hurricane season would be very active yet it was one of the quietest on record so I'm cringing at all these cold, snowy forecasts.

Also weeklies are warm and October is probably going to be above normal along with September so surely that can't be a good sign.

As I've suggested in replies to Mid-Atlantic posts you've made, I feel you've been overestimating how much the warmer global baseline is influencing things. The globe is only ~2 degrees F warmer than it was 100+ years ago and only a fraction of that on average over the last decade or so.

Yeah but the climate doesn't respond linearly and the areas which are impacted will shift from year to year. Eastern Europe was like how we were in 11-12, last winter. Mabye a bad analogy but you can hopefully grasp what I am getting at. Small shifts lead to big time differences downstream.

It's a game of timing and where you find yourself in regards to the meridional jet. According to the CFS, it would appear the overall 850mb boundary has shifted towards the poles, making it even harder to enter into real-deal cold.

50% or more of the recent global heating is not occuring on the surface, rather in isolated regions of the global ocean. We will either see immediate effects or there will be a temporal lag.

01-global-ssta.png?w=640&h=421

glbT850SeaInd3.gif

Yeah but the climate doesn't respond linearly and the areas which are impacted will shift from year to year. Eastern Europe was like how we were in 11-12, last winter. Mabye a bad analogy but you can hopefully grasp what I am getting at. Small shifts lead to big time differences downstream.

Not really sure of the point you're attempting to make here. There are certain reasons, traceable to global oscillations that promoted the differences in winter patterns b/t Europe and the CONUS during the past few winters. If you're trying to attribute a rising baseline to the winter patterns seen here in 11-12 and Europe last winter, that's not a correct conclusion to make.

Did the climate change subforum close?

We made him stop with the cc crap in the ma forum so he's on the road.

Seasonal models cause more harm then good in the hands of hobbyists. Cfsv2 is decent for temps the following month once we hit mid month. That's about all I can figure out. Euro weeklies are decent with h5 patterns.

I like the height patterns on the seasonals that have them. I can draw my own temp conclusions from those plots.

Sometimes too much info is a bad thing and clouds the discussions instead of helping. We all know what key long wave features deliver opportunity. I just focus on those areas and not worry a lick about long lead temp forecasts.  

We really never know how winter is going to start until we get a bead on nov's progression and dominant features. All we can do at this lead is hedge. So far so good.

So, you think there is not even 1% of truth to it? Do you agree that at some point it will happen? If so, we can both end this here.

I am not 'on the road', just interpreting what I believe the CFS is showing. If anything, CFS should only be posted in the climate forum if your logic holds.

I don't discuss anything related to my personal interpretation and opinions irt to cc in a regional winter thread. It derails the discussion every single time. Your bias is so heavy that you always bring it up wherever you post. It's just not appropriate.

I wouldn't care if we never discussed the cfs anywhere on the forum.

what does this have to do with winter 2014/2015 ?

As per D T.

SNOW COVER IS   SOME  WHAT MISUNDERSTOOD

1.  Having   early season snowfall over  Eurasia and  far northern Canada  FAVORS central & eastern US will see  either Normal winter or a colder / snowy

2.  But  it does not  guarantee it

3.  Moreover   there have plenty of cases  of having   near  Normal  snowfall  over  these   areas   and  MILD /  Below  Normal  snowfall over  central and   eastern Conus.

According to DT's FB page, the Euro seasonal forecast that came out today is showing a mild November, normal December, colder/snowier January & February with big storms possible for the northeast.

Nothing wrong with mild fall weather,since we don't get snow anyway in the fall.

Legitimate ? Hmm. As per D T somewhat. Nothing is ever a guarantee .

It certainly helps IMO. We really wont know what type of winter we'll be looking at from december-january till end of this month, early november. I know we have the EPO on our side and a possible weak el nino. Last winter although we never got that "big one" certainly set the bar fairly high with cumulative snowfall across our region

It certainly helps IMO. We really wont know what type of winter we'll be looking at from december-january till end of this month, early november. I know we have the EPO on our side and a possible weak el nino. Last winter although we never got that "big one" certainly set the bar fairly high with cumulative snowfall across our region

The EPO is currently +++

I see they busted pretty bad with their July Aug. forecast.

Aren't the CFS monthlies even more above normal on the 500mb pattern than indicated a month ago for the winter season as a whole?  Looks like the center of the country will be toasting marshmellows and not tossing snowballs to me.   The rest of the country gets some above normal bleed off.

that forecast is complete nonsense IMO - first of all no indication December is going to be above normal for temp and precip -  secondly too early to get into the specifics regarding temps and precip yet

A warm November is usually a cut and dry signal for average or below average winter in terms of snowfall. Something to watch for.

A warm November is usually a cut and dry signal for average or below average winter in terms of snowfall. Something to watch for.

I would suggest you do a little research before you make blanket statements - look at Uncle W's analog map above and look at the past weather average temps for november and snowfall for the winter in the links below - many warmer then average Novembers that had above average snowfall to follow in the winter months that season

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/monthannualtemp.html

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/monthseasonsnowfall.html

I have to add, locally, not for KLGA or what not. Since this region cannot receive snowfall with above normal temps. I see you mixed a few big years in there, assuming it was not cherry-picked.

All of the warm Novembers were garbage here except 09-10. This implies anomalous blocking is overwhleming the system.

Archived