• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early discussion Winter 2014/15

SACRUS

Feb 5-6 storm was a headache. I received 2 inches of snow while my family in Staten Island received 8 inches.

I'll never forget that storm. The NAM did an incredible job insisting that the snow would hit a brick wall north of I-78 in NJ. I went to bed with a WSW for 4-8" and received only virga.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll never forget that storm. The NAM did an incredible job insisting that the snow would hit a brick wall north of I-78 in NJ. I went to bed with a WSW for 4-8" and received only virga.

That storm killed alot of snow lovers souls. IIRC that storm had it made the turn up the coast had the potential to actually equal that of 96'. Being that it was suppressed it was obviously a mute point and just a prediction

guarantees during winter season that we will see/hear.

-Snow88 posting 384hr GFS runs daily

-comparisons to 96'/03' during some "BIG" storms forecasted by models

-the phrase "this run taken verbatim"

-the phase "this run is going to annihilate NYC" or "HOLY MOTHER OF CCB!"

-yours truly complaining ill be getting shafted while NYC and mt. Earthlight get jackpotted

-R/S line being debated 5+ days out on the EURO

-NAM once agaig being the red headed step child of the season

-guest appearances by the KMA and other miscellaneous models when we are grasping at straws when a snow event is almost completely down the toilet.

Please add some more if you want ;)

guarantees during winter season that we will see/hear.

-Snow88 posting 384hr GFS runs daily

-comparisons to 96'/03' during some "BIG" storms forecasted by models

-the phrase "this run taken verbatim"

-the phase "this run is going to annihilate NYC" or "HOLY MOTHER OF CCB!"

-yours truly complaining ill be getting shafted while NYC and mt. Earthlight get jackpotted

-R/S line being debated 5+ days out on the EURO

-NAM once agaig being the red headed step child of the season

-guest appearances by the KMA and other miscellaneous models when we are grasping at straws when a snow event is almost completely down the toilet.

Please add some more if you want ;)

people worried about being in the "bullseye" too early 

"If the upper-air pattern were just a bit closer to that of March 1888, this would be a repeat of March 1888"

Upper air pattern of march 1888 is no where NEAR the comparison to 96' and 03'. When a model shows a big snow storm from DC-BOS the 96' drum being beat can be heard from across the atlantic :lol:

I think perhaps it would be cool to have some established guidlines in place before snow season starts so that we can all police ourselves better, including myself, and make it easier on the staff.

1) Nobody should be doing a play by play for the NAM, GFS or GGEM unless we're within 48 hours of a significant snow event. All of those models are available for free and play by play of those models just clutters the board.

2) Try and be respectful of those doing the play by play, no matter if you disagree with them or not. They are doing it for the benefit of others as not everyone spends the money on models.

3) Try and cover the entire region. That means from essentially Trenton, NJ up into the Hudson Valley and eastward out to southwest CT and Long Island. Or better yet, have one poster give play by play for the coast and other for the interior, to be assigned ahead of time.

4) Avoid making banter posts such as "Incoming at hour 96" and "Crushed" which add very little to the discussion.

5) If you're going to do a play by play avoid making posts until you're sure what you're saying is correct. Making mistakes adds to the confusion. It's not a race to see who can post first, at least it shouldn't be.

Honestly I have no idea what to expect this winter as there's a lot of mixed signals. I'm hoping the -AO/NAO October correlation carries on into the winter as well as the Eurasian snowpack building. The AO and NAO are however expected to make a dramatic turnaround for the last third of this month which will bring the negative average for the month up a good to significant amount depending on how positive the AO goes.

So this means that the end of October into the first week or November if not much longer will average milder than normal most likely. If the Euro monthlies are correct than we're on track to have a milder November anyway. I don't know how to feel about all three months of Sept, Oct, and November being above normal as that doesn't seem like a good sign to me and it really looks like we'll have to rely a lot more on blocking this winter to really cash in because we're likely not going to see that epic -EPO repeat of last year. 

"Play-by-play" model discussions are daft. Wait the seven minutes until somebody reputable posts a relevant and concise analysis. 

Nobody is going to wait for the one met that might have Euro access and post here regularly. They will just go to a different sub forum to get the info they want.

"Play-by-play" model discussions are daft. Wait the seven minutes until somebody reputable posts a relevant and concise analysis. 

I used to think this too. But what exactly do we come here for? Boring, well written analysis of what a computer generated model shows? Not exactly. In the winter (and sometimes rarely other seasons)...the model guidance output can be very exciting. And, in an odd way, the play by play is one of the most exciting parts of it. It just has to be executed correctly. Nowadays, too many people have access to minute-by-minute model data and they don't know how to interpret it. Well understood model data play-by-play, I would argue, can be some of the most exciting stuff on this forum. 

I used to think this too. But what exactly do we come here for? Boring, well written analysis of what a computer generated model shows? Not exactly. In the winter (and sometimes rarely other seasons)...the model guidance output can be very exciting. And, in an odd way, the play by play is one of the most exciting parts of it. It just has to be executed correctly. Nowadays, too many people have access to minute-by-minute model data and they don't know how to interpret it. Well understood model data play-by-play, I would argue, can be some of the most exciting stuff on this forum. 

i agree, i think the anticipation while waiting for someone to post what the run shows is the most exciting part of this forum.

Hit the nail on the head john, watching a model run roll on storm vista and also listening to the PbP is the most exciting part of winter storms. Yes they're are people here who arent that good at it but for the most part it isnt done poorly. That said, you do some of the best PbP and i personally look forward to your frequent input this upcoming winter my friend

On more than one occasion I've personally found the tracking of a storm to be more exciting than the actual storm itself. I've lost more sleep than I care to share waiting for 00z Euro runs.

Same here, you get that knot in your stomach with excitement! The sheer l potential of a storm while tracking it and have it keep you up at night shows we are passionate about it

On more than one occasion I've personally found the tracking of a storm to be more exciting than the actual storm itself. I've lost more sleep than I care to share waiting for 00z Euro runs.

I wasn't using this site in 2010 and I'm curious as to what the range of emotions on this forum were while tracking the post-Christmas blizzard that year

I wasn't using this site in 2010 and I'm curious as to what the range of emotions on this forum were while tracking the post-Christmas blizzard that year

THAT was one of the most memorable nights here. Literally almost every model during 00z dec. 24th came west and showed BIG hits it was an absolute forum crasher literally!

Archived