Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
July 13-15 storm risk

Kmlwx

1500 SPC meso

2000 SBCAPE along BR... 2500 SBCAPE along I-95... 3000 Baltimore and just NE of DCA... 3500 on Eastern Shore

1500 MLCAPE along I-95

LCL heights are okay... better to the NE of LWX

40-55 kts effective bulk shear

40-50 kts 0-6 shear

-2 to -4 left moving supercell composite

1.7 to 1.9 PWATs

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1500 SPC meso

2000 SBCAPE along BR... 2500 SBCAPE along I-95... 3000 Baltimore and just NE of DCA... 3500 on Eastern Shore

1500 MLCAPE along I-95

LCL heights are okay... better to the NE of LWX

40-55 kts effective bulk shear

40-50 kts 0-6 shear

-2 to -4 left moving supercell composite

1.7 to 1.9 PWATs

There's the Yoda we all know and, tolerate... 

What is hatching?

In addition to the probabilities for separate types of severe weather occurring, areas are shown where there is a 10% or greater chance of significant severe weather. Significant severe weather is defined as F2 or greater tornadoes, damaging winds with speeds greater than 65 knots, or large hail 2" or greater in diameter. If the forecaster believes that there is less than a 10% chance of significant severe weather occurring in the outlook area, then the hatched area will not appear on the graphics.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/probinfo.html

I could see an upgrade to a moderate risk given that SBCAPE is now in exess of 2000 J/KG over a large region and shear profiles remain impressive. We've had moderate risks before in less impressive setups. I think SPC was a little bit worried that the higher instability wouldn't be realized. That seems to have sorted itself out. The most likely area to be upgraded would be from BWI to NYC.

sbcp.gif?1405438716727

eshr.gif?1405438775344

Generally before a categorical upgrade from slight to moderate you'd see an MCD come out indicating that is what is about to happen. Considering next outlook is at 1630z (soonish) I'd go with still slight. But hatching is still a possibility maybe. 

Generally before a categorical upgrade from slight to moderate you'd see an MCD come out indicating that is what is about to happen. Considering next outlook is at 1630z (soonish) I'd go with still slight. But hatching is still a possibility maybe. 

I'm not saying that they are going to upgrade but one could certainly understand why they might.

That's typically what I thought too, but do you remember if that was the case for the last Moderate a few weeks ago? I don't remember seeing a MCD before the upgrade, so I don't know if they always do that, but definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

That's typically what I thought too, but do you remember if that was the case for the last Moderate a few weeks ago? I don't remember seeing a MCD before the upgrade, so I don't know if they always do that, but definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

It might be when there is imminent storms that are the reason for the moderate. I just know that probably 90%+ of times we've been upgraded in this region on a 1630z outlook there's been an MCD - but that might not be a hard rule. 

It might be when there is imminent storms that are the reason for the moderate. I just know that probably 90%+ of times we've been upgraded in this region on a 1630z outlook there's been an MCD - but that might not be a hard rule. 

Okay yeah that definitely makes sense, thanks!

I would think flash flooding would be possible with PW's where they are? It feels like the Nicaraguan rain forest out there

From LWX AFD:

IN TERMS OF RAFL POTL...PWAT CLOSE TO 2 INCHES TDA...BUT INDIV CELLS

SHUD BE PROGRESSIVE. RAFL FM PAST CPL DAYS HASNT MADE A BIG IMPACT

ON ANTECEDENT CONDS OUTSIDE OF METRO BALT. THE CORRIDOR OF DEEPEST

MSTR TDA SHUD BE JUST E OF I-95...WHERE FFG STILL QUITE HIGH. ISSUES

MAY ARISE IF CELLS START TRAINING...OR IF AXIS FURTHER W THAN

ANTICIPATED.

Archived