joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 13-15 storm risk

Kmlwx

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen that in awhile... We also have a 5% chance for wind and hail today.

Plenty of time for us to muck up the timing and stuff, though. Which in the DC area is always a good bet. I haven't looked at the models re: Day 6 at all but maybe later on the more knowledgeable severe folks can chime in. I know we have gotten our fair share of D4 and 5 outlooks but D6 is pretty unusual.

One thing I've noticed often happens is you'll get a D6 from SPC and then it will disappear for D5 and D4 as you get closer and then show up again as a See Text on D3 and then slowly come back to a mundane slight risk with 15% wind probs by D1. We shall see (my catch phrase). 

Plenty of time for us to muck up the timing and stuff, though. Which in the DC area is always a good bet. I haven't looked at the models re: Day 6 at all but maybe later on the more knowledgeable severe folks can chime in. I know we have gotten our fair share of D4 and 5 outlooks but D6 is pretty unusual.

D6 outlooks for this area are indeed pretty rare, as there just usually so many uncertainties with regards to timing and impact of convection the previous day (or two).    But I think that this one is justified.    You have pretty impressive model agreement with a very anomalous trough and accompanying strong front approaching on Tuesday, and the strength of the forcing and wind fields along with likely moderate instability give that day some pretty significant potential here.

Been kinda excited about potential with the fauxlar vortex. Euro last night would be a pretty big NE US event.. perhaps focused northeast of here.  GFS still has a bit to go but it's perhaps moving in the right direction.  Main concerns are timing and possibly tons of junk convection.. but that's a way off still to get too into.

Trough and 500mb low location on 12z gfs is fairly classic for high end severe/tornado events.. tho long closed lows are often tricky with winds being right for tor outbreaks.

post-1615-0-52552100-1405010361_thumb.gi

D6 outlooks for this area are indeed pretty rare, as there just usually so many uncertainties with regards to timing and impact of convection the previous day (or two).    But I think that this one is justified.    You have pretty impressive model agreement with a very anomalous trough and accompanying strong front approaching on Tuesday, and the strength of the forcing and wind fields along with likely moderate instability give that day some pretty significant potential here.

Yeah this "polar vortex" thing looks extremely impressive for this time of year. It would be a shame to waste it on crapvection.

Been kinda excited about potential with the fauxlar vortex. Euro last night would be a pretty big NE US event.. perhaps focused northeast of here.  GFS still has a bit to go but it's perhaps moving in the right direction.  Main concerns are timing and possibly tons of junk convection.. but that's a way off still to get too into.

I feel it's sort of like winter where you don't want to be in the bullseye this far out ;) - the models are bound to trend something less impressive for us. I like that we aren't on the fringe of that D6 outlook, though. Gives me a little more confidence in something at least somewhat exciting. 

Trough and 500mb low location on 12z gfs is fairly classic for high end severe/tornado events.. tho long closed lows are often tricky with winds being right for tor outbreaks.

Does the fact that it has those dual closed lows have any impact on the end result? Wonder if this is the kind of setup where someplace in the Mid-Atlantic to NE corridor gets a mod risk. Looks potentially exciting. I just wish it wasn't 6 days away....

Does the fact that it has those dual closed lows have any impact on the end result? Wonder if this is the kind of setup where someplace in the Mid-Atlantic to NE corridor gets a mod risk. Looks potentially exciting. I just wish it wasn't 6 days away....

5 days ;)

The New England subforum is weening out on this potential it seems. Wiz is really excited (naturally). 

Timing is really the only issue for now... 12z GFS slowed down and shifted south a little. It's definitely better locally but still focuses 95 and east probably.  Hefty signal tho from this range.

post-1615-0-21451500-1405011928_thumb.gi

post-1615-0-04188600-1405011934_thumb.gi

Nice CAPE on Monday, not so much on Tuesday from the Euro.  Not going to fret at this lead time, though.

Yeah, tho it has pockets up to about 2k or so .. fires early and then blows up between 18z and 0z too. Usually high shear is low CAPE around here so we can't do both right? ;)

SPC is now highlighting a D4 risk (skipped over a day) for us - the area is pretty different from the D6 outlook yesterday. Additionally, SPC alludes to a further threat along the eastern seaboard beyond D4 but it's not clear if they would include us in that as well. 

Having a closed ull dropping in like this in July can't be common. I don't remember any in recent memory but I don't track severe so I could be missing plenty of things. Even in my simpleton knowledge I'm kinda excited about the setup. I love ul dynamics. They bring surprises more often than not. Somewhere along the ec could see some unusually strong tornados if things time right.

Back to lurking

Having a closed ull dropping in like this in July can't be common. I don't remember any in recent memory but I don't track severe so I could be missing plenty of things. Even in my simpleton knowledge I'm kinda excited about the setup. I love ul dynamics. They bring surprises more often than not. Somewhere along the ec could see some unusually strong tornados if things time right.

Back to lurking

Yes...definitely a situation to watch. I'm excited but I've been beaten down by too many DC area severe failures. 

Archived