joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 13-15 storm risk

Kmlwx

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty bullish for them. They seem to have ignored the 12z GFS.. probably wise. ;)

I'm sure they have been posted somewhere but does the Euro tend to beat out the GFS in setups like this? Given that it's a big anomaly at H5 I have to assume maybe the Euro has a leg up? 

I'm sure they have been posted somewhere but does the Euro tend to beat out the GFS in setups like this? Given that it's a big anomaly at H5 I have to assume maybe the Euro has a leg up? 

I dunno.. in the winter I think people said the GFS was doing better than the Euro with northern stream stuff. But I don't think that necessarily carries over. The evolution of the 12z GFS seemed wonky either way though it has trended weaker with the 500 low overall run to run it seems.  Plus sometimes the Euro is overamped.. hard to say I guess.  Euro is steady more or less though. 

I dunno.. in the winter I think people said the GFS was doing better than the Euro with northern stream stuff. But I don't think that necessarily carries over. The evolution of the 12z GFS seemed wonky either way though it has trended weaker with the 500 low overall run to run it seems.  Plus sometimes the Euro is overamped.. hard to say I guess.  Euro is steady more or less though. 

12z CIPS analogs print out 07/27/1994 as the number 1 match lol. 

Regions largest tornado outbreak occurred on Jul 27, 1994 - lots of tornadoes - a few on the strong side. Mainly east of metro area. 

Maryland's at least.. Ivan was bigger regionally. 

ha nice. 6z match tho.. close enough esp since it's too fast. ;)

I think CIPS might have something wrong or I'm missing some aspect of the site - a few times now when I see tor reports in the analogs they don't show up in the SPC storm report archives or vice versa. I'm sure it's probably an issue in my head. 

I didn't realize Ivan brought the TORs here. Bigger than that '94 outbreak in number or just geographic scope?

Also, how unbelievable that the region had a three year run that produced TORs with low topped storms. Almost impossible to see. 

There were a bunch of tornadoes during Ivan. Most I believe were pretty weak, though (as is usually the case with tropical remnants). EDIT: a bunch of F2's and an F3

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/lwx/sept17tornadoes/

I always forget Ivan - I think it's because it was tropical in origin. For some reason those are segregated in my mind. 

Pretty big part of our overall tor climatology. One of the highest density areas for tropical remnant tornadoes too. 

The 500 mb trough alone on Tuesday that is being shown by the 12z Euro is enough to raise my eyebrows, looks more like a May system to be honest.

GFS pretty far off from Euro now. Would probably want to see it come back at 0z to have any faith in Tuesday.

This storm risk next week, is it associated with an unusual outbreak of cold air? Someone mentioned that today. Is it true that we are going to see an unusual cold outbreak or is it just hype?

somebody told me today at my shop that there is a crazy cold snap never seen in years coming, I asked what he meant. his description was like a summer winter storm. confused then I thought about it I asked high winds dry and 90 degrees? he said major cold (70* that feel like 50* major wind and rain). so I asked a hurricane? and he walked away.

I think the weather channel is getting to people. ?

NAM looks like it's closer to the Euro than the GFS.. cold front back in OH at 12z on Tue with a shortwave rounding the low.. probably a quality setup for the day.

It looks mighty interesting late Monday too around DC. 

Not sure it's worth looking that hard at the goofus. It may score a coup.. it did well with polar vortices in the winter.  Then again the Canadian looks like the Euro so eh.

post-1615-0-48415600-1405140611_thumb.pn

Archived