Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, No we don't

It can be amazing how varied our weather can be between the GYX and BTV CWAs based on those subtle differences in low pressure tracks. In winter we'd (Greens) be getting crushed in a deform band in that set-up, but sneak that East a bit and we are smoking cirrus.

It can be amazing how varied our weather can be between the GYX and BTV CWAs based on those subtle differences in low pressure tracks. In winter we'd (Greens) be getting crushed in a deform band in that set-up, but sneak that East a bit and we are smoking cirrus.

Yes, Lol, And i would be doing the same as today, Raining like a mofo

Whew, you aren’t kidding, I just checked our NWS point forecast, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that suggested yet this summer:

Today:  Rain and possibly a thunderstorm before 1pm, then rain between 1pm and 2pm, then rain and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 69. Light north wind. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

That would make for a solid resurfacing.

I saw your post in the main thread – neat to see that mention of northwest upslope flow and fall-like feel in the forecast discussion.  You’re right though, that GFS output looks like it puts us right in the wheelhouse of that system.  Four months from now would set us at just about the Thanksgiving time period, and I can think of many a great day being delivered by that point in the season.  In any event, even without the snow, it’s still fun to watch the mountains do their thing with that setup.

We’re actually only five days from my personal start of fall around here; it’s an arbitrary date of course, but August typically has a much different feel than July.  People will talk about the “dog days” thing, but as we’ve discussed before, August never seems to have much “bite” up in this area.  One big reference to the quick change this time of year comes from my wife – back when she was a lifeguard in Burlington, August 10th was a very distinctive date for when the use of the pool would just drop right off.  I was also intrigued to hear from my Mom that Gary Sadowsky, meteorologist for WCAX in Burlington, was recently talking about August 3rd marking a very notable climatological change in this area.  She said that he had some actual climatological rationale behind that, but unfortunately I didn’t get the details.  Anyway, for many reasons, I find that Aug/Sep/Oct is one of the best quarters of the year.  There may not be much to note about weather changes as we move into August this year though, as there really hasn’t been much heat to deal with this July.  The forecast looks nice going forward, with generally highs in the 70s F and lows in the 50s F, which is what the data suggest for climatological averages in this area anyway.

Several posts here, particularly this one, have me feeling irrationally giddy this morning. 

Rumbling currently detected.

Looks like I missed an extreme storm yesterday.  Didn't have the manual gauge out, but had 1.00" on the VP2 and a peak rain rate of 6.26"/hr... probably translates to an actual total of 1.12"ish

Why would you bring it in?

I don't have any easily accessible place I can permanently mount it. Not putting a pole in the middle of the lawn to make yet another obstacle to go around.  I just set it out when I expect super heavy rain that I don't think the VP2 will catch well.

Ok, That makes perfect sense, I have a vast difference between my manual gauge and my tipper bucket on the weather station, The tipper is always on the lighter side like most of you report on here at times

We’re actually only five days from my personal start of fall around here; it’s an arbitrary date of course, but August typically has a much different feel than July.  People will talk about the “dog days” thing, but as we’ve discussed before, August never seems to have much “bite” up in this area.  One big reference to the quick change this time of year comes from my wife – back when she was a lifeguard in Burlington, August 10th was a very distinctive date for when the use of the pool would just drop right off. 

I like the "start of fall" philosophy but have to disagree a bit on August heat.  While it's true that recent years haven't featured NNE heatwaves in August (week before Labor Day 2010 might be exception), I wonder if your wife's lifeguard career included 2002.  The midmonth that year featured an 8-9 day run of 90s/near 90s throughout the region.  My threshold for "heat" on my lilac-tempered instrument is 85, and 8/11-18/2002 brought highs from 87 to 91 each day.  (My hottest, records for 1998 on, is a mere 93, also in 2002 on both 7/3 and 9/9.)

Had some brief dense showers with frequent rumbles 1-3 PM yest, catch was 0.29", but saw 1-1.5" LEW and points south.  Current echoes appear to be pivoting around WNY, so the stuff in NH that I expected by now isn't for us, but the band from ESNE is what we'll get here.

It has been pouring here this morning...I can't remember a morning like this in a while, feels "non-summer" being that its so dark at 11am that you need lights on in the house, its 62F raw and damp.

As of 7am the Stowe Village CoCoRAHS station near Mac's Market was up to 6.35" on the month, I'm at 6.11" at my place.  Hoping we can clear 7" by the end of the month...with today and tonight's rain, I think its definitely possible.  That SE flow is trying to wring out the moisture in the Greens...south of here in Washington County there looks like a bunch of 0.75-1.0" totals so far today.  We are at around 0.5" now.

ever try calibrating it?

With respect to calibration of tipping buckets, isn't the tendency to under report predominantly due to splashover?  And if so, the bias would be a function of rain rate and even droplet size, which would make calibration very difficult.  At any rate I thought that was the raison d'etre behind the cocorahs gauges.

Archived